    motherboard in anyway? Or does the motherboard come factory set to work
    in a "plug and play" fashion?

    thanks to all
    Jamie, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Jamie wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a student on a limited budget with next to no computer knowledge.
    > I'm in desperate need of replacing my old computer for something
    > relatively inexpensive. If i were to purchase a motherboard with RAM
    > and a matching processor, am i able to just plug all of my components
    > into it (like HD, CD ROM, etc...) or is there any need to configure the
    > motherboard in anyway? Or does the motherboard come factory set to work
    > in a "plug and play" fashion?
    >
    > thanks to all

    As long as you do a good job of getting the motherboard, processor and
    memory all to match, the other stuff will fall into place pretty much
    automatically, depending on your operating system. If you're using
    WinXP, it's pretty automatic. I see you're using Win98 now, it'd be a
    good time to upgrade the OS as well.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Jamie

    PSYTAUR Guest

    Jamie <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a student on a limited budget with next to no computer knowledge.
    > I'm in desperate need of replacing my old computer for something
    > relatively inexpensive. If i were to purchase a motherboard with RAM
    > and a matching processor, am i able to just plug all of my components
    > into it (like HD, CD ROM, etc...) or is there any need to configure the
    > motherboard in anyway? Or does the motherboard come factory set to work
    > in a "plug and play" fashion?
    >
    > thanks to all

    Yes, you can do all this, and much more. No need other than
    confirmation of settings for the MB, your ram will confirm itself on
    startup. Many devices are pluig and hope, but, alas, you are asked for
    drives.
    This is all easily done, and the bious on the MB allows tou to set the
    functions you require.

    '

    ;
    PSYTAUR, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Jamie

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:16:34 -0500 Rôgêr wrote:

    > Jamie wrote:
    >> Hello,

    >> I'm a student on a limited budget with next to no computer knowledge.
    >> I'm in desperate need of replacing my old computer for something
    >> relatively inexpensive. If i were to purchase a motherboard with RAM
    >> and a matching processor, am i able to just plug all of my components
    >> into it (like HD, CD ROM, etc...) or is there any need to configure
    >> the
    >> motherboard in anyway? Or does the motherboard come factory set to
    >> work
    >> in a "plug and play" fashion?

    >> thanks to all

    > As long as you do a good job of getting the motherboard, processor and
    > memory all to match, the other stuff will fall into place pretty much
    > automatically, depending on your operating system. If you're using
    > WinXP, it's pretty automatic. I see you're using Win98 now, it'd be a
    > good time to upgrade the OS as well.

    I'll bet he's scratchin his head tryin to figure out how come you know that.
    But the stuff in the headers isn't always right. It's only a compatibility
    issue.
    Richard, Jan 19, 2005
  5. Jamie

    PC Guest

    "Jamie" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a student on a limited budget with next to no computer knowledge.
    > I'm in desperate need of replacing my old computer for something
    > relatively inexpensive. If i were to purchase a motherboard with RAM
    > and a matching processor, am i able to just plug all of my components
    > into it (like HD, CD ROM, etc...) or is there any need to configure the
    > motherboard in anyway? Or does the motherboard come factory set to work
    > in a "plug and play" fashion?
    >
    > thanks to all

    Jamie

    First rule of decision making: get the facts.

    To find out if what you plan is feasable you should do a detailed audit of
    your old PC. One program suitable for this is 'Everest' (
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=1 )and of
    course good old visual inspection.

    Then go butter up your school IT department/master/techo and ask if what you
    plan is achievable, and 'economic'.

    Economic in that the retail cost of a motherboard, cpu and ram can often
    equal or even exceed the price of a complete system box, which of course
    will come fully assembled and with at least some sort of warranty.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Jamie

    Plato Guest

    Jamie wrote:

    > I'm in desperate need of replacing my old computer for something
    > relatively inexpensive. If i were to purchase a motherboard with RAM
    > and a matching processor, am i able to just plug all of my components
    > into it (like HD, CD ROM, etc...) or is there any need to configure the
    > motherboard in anyway? Or does the motherboard come factory set to work
    > in a "plug and play" fashion?

    Chances are you can do just as you say. If using XP you will most likely
    have to do a repair install afterwards, or if using win98x perhaps just
    a few reboots will let it find the new resourses. Yes, the new unit you
    get will most likely have motherboard drivers you may have to use
    depending on what's onboard the new mobo. You may want to shop for "bare
    bones" systems on places like newegg.com or whatever.

    For example newegg has barebones case/mobo for $100 and sometimes even
    with a floppy drive and cdreader for $100. Just add cpu/ram/and your
    hard drives and writer.

    If you do barebones, make sure you get the cpu that matches what the
    mobo says it can handle for example there are now 3+ tpypes of amds so
    get the right core. And of course get the ram the mobo says it supports.
    Often you have to do some research at the mobo makers site as well as
    retailers may not list all the specific requirements.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 19, 2005