Computer Acting WACKY!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Drnick, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. Drnick

    Drnick Guest

    Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
    problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
    RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
    windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
    start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
    even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
    keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
    switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
    for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
    was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
    was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
    this again. any ideas on what else I can try?

    It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
    nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
    or firefox open.

    any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
    the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
    pretty much everything else, did I miss something?
    Drnick, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Drnick

    - Bobb - Guest

    Try Safe Mode ?
    You say related to mouse movement - how about different mouse ? ( In
    case internally issuing /left/right mouse clicks.)

    - Bobb -, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Drnick

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jul 10, 8:52 pm, Drnick <> wrote:
    > Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
    > problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
    > RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
    > windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
    > start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
    > even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
    > keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
    > switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
    > for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
    > was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
    > was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
    > this again. any ideas on what else I can try?
    >
    > It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
    > nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
    > or firefox open.
    >
    > any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
    > the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
    > pretty much everything else, did I miss something?

    As Bob says. Mouse....or dickie m'board....if you are sure you don't
    have a "lodger"???
    sandy58, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Drnick

    Drnick Guest

    On Jul 11, 7:20 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 8:52 pm, Drnick <> wrote:
    >

    > > Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
    > > problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
    > > RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
    > > windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
    > > start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
    > > even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
    > > keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
    > > switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
    > > for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
    > > was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
    > > was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
    > > this again. any ideas on what else I can try?

    > > It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
    > > nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
    > > or firefox open.

    > > any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
    > > the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
    > > pretty much everything else, did I miss something?

    > As Bob says. Mouse....or dickie m'board....if you are sure you don't
    > have a "lodger"???

    a lodger? whats that?

    I'm going to try a new mouse, but I'm 99.9999% sure its not that. (its
    only a standard 2 button mouse, so I'm not sure how it could possibly
    open and close programs, and the start menu just by moving it.)

    I'm thinking a screwed up motherboard, and its a dell, so its not even
    worth fixing. its a shame because 90% of the time, the computer works
    perfectly.
    Drnick, Jul 12, 2007