    CompTIA A+ Exam.

    --
    Tiago Davila

    Tiago Davila, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Read a good book, learn what is being tested (from comptia.org), do some
    hands on, take a few practice tests. :)

    --

    Dustin Harper

    Dustin Harper, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Tiago Davila

    Guest

    On Apr 6, 9:07 pm, "Tiago Davila" <> wrote:
    > Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
    > CompTIA A+ Exam.
    >
    > --
    > Tiago Davila

    The most important thing, of course, is studying. We all know that
    there's a difference between knowing the material in a practical sense
    and being able to answer the questions on a test. This is made even
    worse by the cost of each exam (and there are often several for each
    certification). Plus, of course, you're a busy person and don't have
    lots of time to waste on the tests...so you might really want to
    consider hooking up with a company that will help ensure your ability
    to pass. I know that there are a lot of them out there. CareerSaver
    is one that I happened across recently -- http://www.careersaver.com
    They even say that they'll give you a refund and pay for your exam if
    you don't pass, so that's pretty cool...plus I think they say that
    their stuff will make it possible to prepare in less time (also good).
    Something along those lines should help, and if you're serious about
    going into this career field, then you have lots of these
    certifications in your future.
    Best of luck.

    , Apr 8, 2008
  4. Tiago Davila

    Guest

    On Apr 8, 10:09 am, wrote:
    > On Apr 6, 9:07 pm, "Tiago Davila" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
    > > CompTIA A+ Exam.

    > > --
    > > Tiago Davila
    > >

    > The most important thing, of course, is studying. We all know that
    > there's a difference between knowing the material in a practical sense
    > and being able to answer the questions on a test. This is made even
    > worse by the cost of each exam (and there are often several for each
    > certification). Plus, of course, you're a busy person and don't have
    > lots of time to waste on the tests...so you might really want to
    > consider hooking up with a company that will help ensure your ability
    > to pass. I know that there are a lot of them out there. CareerSaver
    > is one that I happened across recently --http://www.careersaver.com
    > They even say that they'll give you a refund and pay for your exam if
    > you don't pass, so that's pretty cool...plus I think they say that
    > their stuff will make it possible to prepare in less time (also good).
    > Something along those lines should help, and if you're serious about
    > going into this career field, then you have lots of these
    > certifications in your future.
    > Best of luck.

    Actually, after making my previous post, I noticed that the site I was
    mentioning also has an article about 2008's "hottest" certifications
    -- http://careersaver.com/TopCerts.asp -- as well as a chart of
    average salaries based on certification -- http://careersaver.com/SalaryByCertification.asp
    I know that these don't specifically help you with your current
    certification, but they might help you figure out where you want to go
    from there. Sorry for my absent-mindedness in not noticing them
    before.

    , Apr 8, 2008
  5. "Tiago Davila" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
    > CompTIA A+ Exam.
    >
    > --
    > Tiago Davila

    It's the old joke about "how to get to Carnegie Hall"? Answer: "Practice,
    practice, practice"!

    Seriously, since I just got certified in January I will tell you what I
    used. Mike Meyer's book "ALL IN ONE CompTIA A+ Certification (Sixth
    Edition).
    It covers everything. The important point to remember is that there is a
    lot of memorization to this cert., so use the testing software. More
    importantly, UNDERSTAND what you are memorize. Don't just be a parrot or
    you not do your prospective employers any good.

    In addition to Mike's book, I also check out every A+ book my library had.
    Many had testing CD's which I drilled over and over again. Missing
    questions allowed me to study and restudy what I was week on. So, don't
    overlook FREE as in your library.

    Good luck.

    Boris Badenov, Apr 9, 2008
  6. "Tiago Davila" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
    > CompTIA A+ Exam.

    Hmmm. I can't believe anybody even offered this as part of their
    recommendation.

    [1] Build a computer from scratch!

    [2] Install the OS (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista) from scratch!

    [3] Upgrade the OS (Win2000 to WinXP; WinXP to Vista).

    [4] Install a Service Pack; install updates.

    [5] Install some apps (Antivirus, Windows Defender, IE7, Microsoft Office).

    [6] Uninstall the apps.

    [7] Run diagnostics on the major components.... disk, RAM, CPU, Video

    [8] Disassemble the computer and put it back together.

    [9] Repeat steps [1] through [8] until you can do them without looking at
    written instructions.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 12, 2008
  7. Tiago Davila

    Dude Guest

    I used the Mike Meyers books to study for Network+ and some of the Server
    2003 MCSE exams. I've had good luck with them.

    Dude, Apr 19, 2008