CompTIA reneges on agreement with CompTIA cert holders

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by walterbyrd, Jan 23, 2010.

  1. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    This directly affects, at least 800,000 CompTIA holders [1], but has
    not been covered by any major tech news sites [2].

    Up until this year, CompTIA promised that those certifications were
    good for a lifetime. However, recently CompTIA has reneged on that
    promise.

    Here is a direct quote from CompTIA's 2005 website, still viewable in
    the web archieves:

    > "Our certifications are good for life. Once you are certified, you are certified for life. The certifications do not have an expiration date nor do you have to retake a test after an upgrade."

    http://web.archive.org/web/20051001001059/www.comptia.org/certification/default.aspx

    Here is a direct quote from CompTIA's 2003 website, also still
    viewable in the web archieves:

    > "Will I ever need to renew my certification?"
    > "No, CompTIA certifications are lifetime certifications."

    http://www.retromags.com/forums/blo...eneges-over-800000-lifetime-a-certifications/

    To many, this may seem to constitute a unilateral contract. Once
    consideration has been given to CompTIA, this contract would seem to
    be a binding contract. None-the-less, legal or illegal, CompTIA has
    decided to renege on their agreements with hundreds of thousands of
    certification holders.

    From CompTIA's current website:

    > “CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications are now valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified.”
    > “The new certification renewal policy is applicable to all individuals who hold CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications, regardless of the date they were certified.”

    http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx

    Whether or not expiring certifications are good or bad, for cert
    holders is beside the point. Previous cert holders had an agreement
    with CompTIA, and it is not fair, and should not be legal, for CompTIA
    to arbitrarily break that agreements.

    If CompTIA wants to change their agreement with subsequent exam
    takers, then that is a different matter. Comptia has no right to
    renege on agreements that they have already been made. A done deal is
    a done deal. If I pay to get a lifetime certification, then I expect
    to get a lifetime certification - period.

    [1] According to Wikipedia, CompTIA has awarded 800,000 A+
    certifications. CompTIA's new policy affects all A+ certification
    holders, and well as all Network+ and Security+ certification holders.
    Of course, in many cases, several certs are held by the same
    individuals.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptia

    [2] This has been covered by some minor certification-oriented sites,
    some personal blogs, and CompTIA's own website.

    CompTIA Certifications Get a Retroactive Expiration Date - 13-Jan-2010
    http://gocertify.com/article/comptia-recertification.shtml

    CompTIA reneges over 800,000 lifetime A+ Certifications!
    http://www.retromags.com/forums/blo...eneges-over-800000-lifetime-a-certifications/

    CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
    http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx

    Certification Renewal Policy FAQs