    routers, any info, advice, or articles would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you in advance,
    Igor Pinchevskiy

    Igor Pinchevskiy, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Peter Guest

    Hi Igor,

    > I'm doing research if compression trough a router would improve
    > performance on T1 point to point wan links. We are using 2600 series
    > routers, any info, advice, or articles would be greatly appreciated!

    Unfortunately this type of question fits into one of those "it
    depends" type scenarios.....;-( The areas you need to consider if
    compression would help are -

    - Can the other end of your WAN link also handle
    compression/de-compression (both ends need to do it).
    - The platform performance (is it currently lightly/heavily loaded).
    A 2600 would not have a lot of CPU spare if handling a T1 with a
    moderate amount of ACL's being processed. If the link is already
    queing a moderate amount of traffic then I would not consider it
    without some form of offload for compression, but then consider the
    cost of this.
    - Also take into account the type of traffic you are passing on the
    link. EG VPN traffic is encrypted and would not compress well (if at
    all), however plain text or HTML with buckets of embeded white space
    could provide great returns. Also consider that it takes time to
    comress/uncompress so there is an overhead for doing this.

    Overall we abandoned using compression on our WAN around 2000, it was
    no longer viable, but then your situation could still benefit from
    it..

    Cheers.....................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Guest

    On 10 Aug, 01:42, "Peter" <> wrote:
    > Hi Igor,
    >
    > > I'm doing research if compression trough a router would improve
    > > performance on T1 point to point wan links. We are using 2600 series
    > > routers, any info, advice, or articles would be greatly appreciated!

    > Unfortunately this type of question fits into one of those "it
    > depends" type scenarios.....;-( The areas you need to consider if
    > compression would help are -
    >
    > - Can the other end of your WAN link also handle
    > compression/de-compression (both ends need to do it).
    > - The platform performance (is it currently lightly/heavily loaded).
    > A 2600 would not have a lot of CPU spare if handling a T1 with a
    > moderate amount of ACL's being processed. If the link is already
    > queing a moderate amount of traffic then I would not consider it
    > without some form of offload for compression, but then consider the
    > cost of this.
    > - Also take into account the type of traffic you are passing on the
    > link. EG VPN traffic is encrypted and would not compress well (if at
    > all), however plain text or HTML with buckets of embeded white space
    > could provide great returns. Also consider that it takes time to
    > comress/uncompress so there is an overhead for doing this.
    >
    > Overall we abandoned using compression on our WAN around 2000, it was
    > no longer viable, but then your situation could still benefit from
    > it..

    The absolute best thing to do is to try it.
    Monitor CPU usage in the routers while testing.

    I agree with all of Peter's points above.

    One thing that is a pretty certain winner if you are using TCP
    is van Jacobsen TCP Header compression. You
    may need to turn on PPP but it looks like you will still
    be ahead.

    Consider also the network end to end latency
    which may be causing your orformance problems.

    If you add more detail someone may be able to
    comment further.

    , Aug 10, 2007
  4. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Scott Perry Guest

    Yes, data compression will increase data throughput. Products available to
    compress data and then decompress data on both sides of the connection are
    the Cisco WAAS, Riverbed Steelhead, and Packeteer WAN accelerators. Some of
    the products brag a 90% compression on TCP connections with UDP being passed
    through uncompressed. Some of the products encapsulate all compressed data
    into a single tunneled connection between the end accelerator devices while
    others simply compress the payload and decompress the payload on the other
    side.

    --

    ===========
    Scott Perry

    Scott Perry, Aug 10, 2007
  5. Igor Pinchevskiy

    stephen Guest

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm doing research if compression trough a router would improve
    > performance on T1 point to point wan links. We are using 2600 series
    > routers, any info, advice, or articles would be greatly appreciated!

    the other posters suggested / implied using s/w compression, but i would be
    wary of using it on a line at this speed.

    the compression AIM (2600 XM only AFAIR) can do hardware compression and
    should be happy at T1 speeds.

    even if the data isnt compressible (and some nearly always is), the headers
    will be.

    typical office traffic often compresses around 2:1, but badly written apps
    can show much higher gains as their packets are full of empty padding.

    with a hardware compressor on a serial link, you normally find that delay
    for compressed packets goes down - the reduction in bits needed and
    associated delay offsets the time taken for compress / decompress.

    1 thing to watch is that compression needs a reasonably clean line - if
    circuit bit errors are causing 1% or so corrupted frames, then compression
    will resend packets, and that can destroy the gain.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Aug 10, 2007
  6. Thank you for all your input, it looks like I need to do a lot more
    reading on this subject.

    Igor Pinchevskiy, Aug 13, 2007