Compression or not?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guy Van Rinsveld, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. What would give the best result : a 3 Megapixels photo compressed in a Jpeg
    image or a 2 Megapixels photo uncompressed?
    Guy Van Rinsveld, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Guy Van Rinsveld

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Guy Van Rinsveld wrote:

    > What would give the best result : a 3 Megapixels photo compressed in a Jpeg
    > image or a 2 Megapixels photo uncompressed?

    The 3mp image with higher compression would be better.

    You want as many pixels as you can get.. Raising compression will add some
    artifacts. But.. The extra detail the additional pixels provide will more
    than make up for any artifacting the extra compression will introduce.

    You can try this.. If you have a 3mp camera, take one at full size, medium
    compression, then take another at 1600x1200 (2mp) at low compression. Compare
    them.. I'll bet you can't even see the extra artifacting in the 3mp image..
    Jim Townsend, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Guy Van Rinsveld

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Deepnds on what you mean by 'best'. Compression, even jpeg, doesn't
    cost much in resolution. The effects are mostly in color fidelity and
    artifacts. 3 megs compressed would definitely be higher res than 2
    uncompressed, but the uncompressed would possibly be a higher fidelity
    image. But it depends a lot on subject matter.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Nov 24, 2003