    Is it just that the estimate is not that accurate or am I missing something
    when I compress it?

    ---
    tomm, Dec 23, 2003

  2. tomm

    Paul - xxx Guest

    tomm posted ...

    > I`d like to compress a folder to fit it onto a cd.
    > It contains a bin & a cue file. At the moment it is about 745MB.
    > Winrar estimates that it will compress to about 72% fetching it
    > down to about 562MB.
    > But when I compress it , (using the "best" option from the winrar
    > options) I can only get it down to about 735MB. I tried compressing
    > it to a zip file and also to a rar file but there is not much
    > difference in the eventual size.
    > Is it just that the estimate is not that accurate or am I missing
    > something when I compress it?

    Have you tried burning it with that compression ? In my experience, limited
    as it is, many CDR's, despite their advertising to the contrary, will burn
    upwards of 760 MB of data.

    Try compressing 'on the fly' as you burn the file .. Nero does a good job ..
    ;)

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Dec 23, 2003

  3. tomm

    tomm Guest

    > Have you tried burning it with that compression ? In my experience,

    limited
    > as it is, many CDR's, despite their advertising to the contrary, will burn
    > upwards of 760 MB of data.

    yes I tried that , no luck... not with my datasafe cds anyway..

    > Try compressing 'on the fly' as you burn the file

    I know what "on the fly" means but I`m not sure what you mean by
    "compressing on the fly"??????

    > Paul

    ---
    tomm, Dec 23, 2003
  4. tomm

    Paul - xxx Guest

    tomm posted ...

    >> Have you tried burning it with that compression ? In my experience,
    >> limited as it is, many CDR's, despite their advertising to the
    >> contrary, will burn upwards of 760 MB of data.

    > yes I tried that , no luck... not with my datasafe cds anyway..
    >
    >> Try compressing 'on the fly' as you burn the file

    > I know what "on the fly" means but I`m not sure what you mean by
    > "compressing on the fly"??????

    There's a setting in Nero that will add a certain amount of compression
    while it writes. (compressing on the fly) I'm on the wrong computer this
    week, so can't walk you through where it is .. ;)

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Dec 23, 2003