    Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
    decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

    Read more here: http://www.apbsoft.com/products/iptunnelmng/features.html

    Pavel Aronovich, Feb 7, 2004

  2. "Pavel Aronovich" <> wrote in message
    > The program IPTunnelManager is used for IP tunneling with the options for
    > compressing and encrypting traffic.

    <snip>

    > Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
    > decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

    Hmm. What data was this measured on?

    For interactive protocols & SSL (something that I've actually tested, with
    TN3270), the 30% we gain in average compression[1] is pretty much lost by
    the SSL encryption overhead, if you actually start counting packets and
    packet size instead of looking at OS counters.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    [1] To be fair, the algorithm was chosen to minimise CPU overhead on a Java
    client. Even so, I'd be surprised to see an average 75%-or-so compression
    ratio. Come to think of it, I'd still be pretty surprised to see a
    consistent average of 66% on a lossless system..

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Hi.

    > > Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
    > > decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

    > Hmm. What data was this measured on?

    MS SQL Server 2000.

    With best regards,
    Pavel Aronovich.

    Pavel Aronovich, Feb 8, 2004
  4. "Pavel Aronovich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > > > Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
    > > > decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

    > > Hmm. What data was this measured on?

    > MS SQL Server 2000.

    Erm.. I'd call that an RDBMS, rather than data.

    From the ratios quoted, I'd guess large text updates with a lot of
    whitespace?

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 9, 2004