    mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
    is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?

    Many thanks.....

    John, Dec 14, 2003

  2. John wrote:
    > Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
    > folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
    > there...?
    >
    > I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
    > mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
    > is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
    >
    > Many thanks.....

    I'm not 100% certain, but I'm 99.9% sure that you have to have the hard
    drive formatted as NTFS in order to utilize the OS's folder/file compression
    options, same as the encryption options.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Dec 14, 2003

  3. John

    Japes Guest

    without some 3rd party util (not even sure if there is one) your 100%
    correct Frisbee

    --
    Regards

    Japes
    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
    When replying by email put STARWARS in the subject line, otherwise its
    automatically deleted.

    Japes, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Nope--compressed folders and NTFS file compression are 2 separate animals.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...NDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/vz_ovrvw.asp

    Winrar has taken control of zip files and compressed folders

    To repair zip folders:

    Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" and click OK:

    You should receive a dialog that says "DllUnregisterServer in zipfldr.dll
    succeeded."

    Now reregister zipfldr.dll to re-enable zip folder support.
    Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and click OK

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 14, 2003
  5. Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User) wrote:
    > Nope--compressed folders and NTFS file compression are 2 separate
    > animals.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...NDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/vz_ovrvw.asp

    > Winrar has taken control of zip files and compressed folders
    >
    > To repair zip folders:
    >
    > Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" and click OK:
    >

    > You should receive a dialog that says "DllUnregisterServer in
    > zipfldr.dll succeeded."
    >
    > Now reregister zipfldr.dll to re-enable zip folder support.
    > Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and click OK

    This is why you're an MS-MVP and I'm an MCNGP

    It's also why I said 99.9% sure. I'm never certain of anything... not even
    if the sun will come up in the east tomorrow. Well, I'm 99.99999999% sure
    of that one.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Dec 14, 2003
  6. You are right far more often than you are wrong--that has to count for
    something <G>

    We all make mistakes--I count on other newsgroup members to catch my
    screw-ups and post a correction. Having a MVP target painted on my back
    virtually assures this happening in the public groups.

    We're all here to learn--that is the beauty of newsgroups.
    If a day goes by that I don't learn a new trick from the groups I frequent,
    it mean either I didn't work the groups long enough or I wasn't paying
    attention.

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 14, 2003
  7. John

    Glenn Guest

    Have you seen the problem where you don't have the security tab on a folder
    even though the drive is NTFS??
    In this case you can't set the permissions. I have seen that problem on a
    couple of computers that were XP Pro but didn't have an answer.
    One was a workgroups computer, the other was a member of a domain.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

    Glenn, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Hi Glenn,
    The security tab may have been removed by MMC through group policy editor.

    I can't tell you where to go to fix it (because I am not sure exactly where
    that setting is), but MVP Doug Knox has a great utility to allow access to
    security settings without access to MMC and GPO.

    You can download a free version of Windows XP Security Console at
    If you like it and would like more features enabled, Doug sells the licensed
    version for $10 USD.

    I just used the free version to turn off the security tab, then turn it back
    on on XP Pro.
    The setting you are looking for lies in the Windows Explorer settings.

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Dec 15, 2003
  9. John

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:18:06 -0800, "John"
    <> wrote:

    >Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
    >folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
    >there...?
    >
    >I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
    >mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
    >is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
    >
    >Many thanks.....

    John,

    Read this KB article :

    HOW TO: Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306531

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Dec 16, 2003
  10. John

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:45:42 -0800, "Glenn" <>
    wrote:

    >Have you seen the problem where you don't have the security tab on a folder
    >even though the drive is NTFS??
    >In this case you can't set the permissions. I have seen that problem on a
    >couple of computers that were XP Pro but didn't have an answer.
    >One was a workgroups computer, the other was a member of a domain.
    >Thanks,
    >Glenn

    Glenn,

    Simple File Sharing is the default setting on all Windows XP machines
    that are not part of a domain. It is also the only setting on XP Home:

    "In Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional, if working in
    a workgroup, the Security tab is hidden by default. This behavior
    occurs because in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional,
    guests are forced to log on to a workgroup"

    How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed in a
    Workgroup
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290403

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared
    Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Dec 16, 2003
  11. John

    Glenn Guest

    Thanks !!
    Glenn

    Glenn, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Did I also read correctly, that you can go into safe mode on XP home
    and remove all security for a shared folder on NTFS?

    Marlin Munrow, Dec 16, 2003