    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬
    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Vanguard Guest

    "Martin" wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have a Compound File Unfragmenter [Unfrag.exe] from Ziff Davis about
    > 1999
    > It unfrags compound files like Word & Excel, but it has stopped
    > working and I don't know why.
    >
    > I have re-installed Unfrag and even downloaded again, but still no go
    > Anyone know of a similar freeware utility that can UNFRAG compound
    > files?

    I'm still using Word 2002 and Excel 2002 (from MS Office XP). You
    didn't mention what version you use. Guess you'll have to define what
    is a "compound file" since a search on "compound" in the Word and Excel
    help files produced no matches.

    You might try asking in the microsoft.public.word.* and
    microsoft.public.excel.* newsgroups if they know what you're talking
    about and can recommend something for you.

    Maybe this is what you are talking about for "compound file" otherwise
    called an OLE Structured Storage File?
    http://www.newobjects.com/pages/ndl/StoragesAndFiles/SF-OLEFiles.htm
    http://www.codeproject.com/macro/ssfview.asp?df=100&forumid=2968&exp=0&select=193999
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_File_Binary_Format

    If so, maybe visiting the microsoft.public.*.ole* newsgroups would be
    better suited. I did find http://www.flexhex.com/ (FlexHex) that lets
    you edit OLE compound files. You could try their trial version to see
    if it lets you yank out the streams for each object (i.e., to "flatten"
    the compound file). I also found
    http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=ProjectInfo&pid=EADKREA4S7222NYBXEBH87R6GB
    but that uses Java. I took a stab at seeing if download.com had
    anything, searched on "ole compound file", and came up with
    http://www.download.com/Compound-File-Tools/3000-2383_4-10498175.html?tag=lst-0-1
    but I didn't see a tool described to extract the streams, just analyze
    the OLE compound files, like look at the indexes for the chained
    streams.

    Or is it this method of combining multiple files into one file
    "envelope" by providing a proprietary structure within that can delimit
    each "file" within?
    http://kb.pinionsoftware.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=83
    Vanguard, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Hi Vanguard
    Gosh you have certainly provided lots of info
    I'm Using Office 2003

    From Unfrag.exe Help:

    "Most hard disks today contain document files created by Microsoft
    Word, Microsoft Excel, and other applications that support Object
    Linking and Embedding (OLE). Part of a spectrum of technologies known
    as ActiveX, OLE is the software protocol that lets objects created by
    one application appear in documents created by another. (A good
    example is a Word document containing an Excel spreadsheet.)

    Most such applications use compound files to store documents.
    Internally, a compound file is organized into storages and streams, in
    much the same way that a hard disk is organized into folders and
    files.[...] fragmented compound files often consume disk space
    needlessly. A typical Word file contains about 4K of 'slop,' even if
    that file contains no embedded objects. Theoretically, it’s possible
    for a compound file containing just a few kilobytes of actual data to
    consume a megabyte or more of disk space.
    Unfrag combats this problem by hunting down compound files and
    unfragmenting them."
    --
    Regards
    Martin

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Hi vanguard
    I'm coming to the conclusion that my C drive has no compound files to
    unfrag! Perhaps that's why unfrag found nothing and dropped out
    Well, It seems to be the only explanation I'm left with as
    EcoSqueeze http://www.ecocom.com/eng/EcoSqueeze/ecosqueeze01.htm
    found nothing either ?!"?!
    --
    Regards