    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Old Gringo

    Doug G Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > In the composer address bar dropdown I have several address I would
    > like to delete. I have done the manage addressed but it still leaves
    > a few there I do not want. What is the trick to eliminate these
    > unwanted addresses in the address bar dropdown?

    Addresses that appear where you enter recipients are probably listed in
    one of the address books within Thunderbird's Address Book (Ctrl+2).

    The drop down menu for the From field usually lists the addresses for
    your mail and news server accounts.
    Doug G, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> In the composer address bar dropdown I have several address I would
    >> like to delete. I have done the manage addressed but it still leaves
    >> a few there I do not want. What is the trick to eliminate these
    >> unwanted addresses in the address bar dropdown?

    > Addresses that appear where you enter recipients are probably listed in
    > one of the address books within Thunderbird's Address Book (Ctrl+2).
    >
    > The drop down menu for the From field usually lists the addresses for
    > your mail and news server accounts.

    Thanks Doug, I am trying to get rid of several old email addresses in
    the from dropdown window. Using manage addresses in account settings
    will not do the trick.

    Old Gringo, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Old Gringo

    Doug G Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> Old Gringo wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the composer address bar dropdown I have several address I would
    >>> like to delete. I have done the manage addressed but it still leaves
    >>> a few there I do not want. What is the trick to eliminate these
    >>> unwanted addresses in the address bar dropdown?

    >> Addresses that appear where you enter recipients are probably listed in
    >> one of the address books within Thunderbird's Address Book (Ctrl+2).
    >>
    >> The drop down menu for the From field usually lists the addresses for
    >> your mail and news server accounts.

    > Thanks Doug, I am trying to get rid of several old email addresses in
    > the from dropdown window. Using manage addresses in account settings
    > will not do the trick.

    Each of my mail and news accounts in Account Settings has its own
    "Manage Identities" button. And each button opens an "Identities for
    <account_name>" window with different addresses in it.
    Doug G, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> Addresses that appear where you enter recipients are probably listed
    >>> in one of the address books within Thunderbird's Address Book (Ctrl+2).
    >>>
    >>> The drop down menu for the From field usually lists the addresses for
    >>> your mail and news server accounts.

    >> Thanks Doug, I am trying to get rid of several old email addresses in
    >> the from dropdown window. Using manage addresses in account settings
    >> will not do the trick.
    >>

    > Each of my mail and news accounts in Account Settings has its own
    > "Manage Identities" button. And each button opens an "Identities for
    > <account_name>" window with different addresses in it.

    That is the way mine are also however, in the from dropdown window
    there several still there and I can not find a way to remove them.
    They do not show in the accounts settings menu

    Old Gringo, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Old Gringo

    Doug G Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> Thanks Doug, I am trying to get rid of several old email addresses in
    >>> the from dropdown window. Using manage addresses in account settings
    >>> will not do the trick.
    >>>

    >> Each of my mail and news accounts in Account Settings has its own
    >> "Manage Identities" button. And each button opens an "Identities for
    >> <account_name>" window with different addresses in it.

    > That is the way mine are also however, in the from dropdown window
    > there several still there and I can not find a way to remove them.
    > They do not show in the accounts settings menu

    If you clicked all of the "Manage Identities" buttons (there's one for
    each account) and didn't find the addresses in any of the "Identities
    for ..." windows, try opening your profile's prefs.js file in Notepad
    and see if the addresses are there. Post the line they appear in if found.

    The line may look something like this:
    user_pref("mail.identity.id5.useremail", "");

    Default profile folder locations:
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    Doug G, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> Each of my mail and news accounts in Account Settings has its own
    >>> "Manage Identities" button. And each button opens an "Identities for
    >>> <account_name>" window with different addresses in it.

    >> That is the way mine are also however, in the from dropdown window
    >> there several still there and I can not find a way to remove them.
    >> They do not show in the accounts settings menu
    >>

    > If you clicked all of the "Manage Identities" buttons (there's one for
    > each account) and didn't find the addresses in any of the "Identities
    > for ..." windows, try opening your profile's prefs.js file in Notepad
    > and see if the addresses are there. Post the line they appear in if found.
    >
    > The line may look something like this:
    > user_pref("mail.identity.id5.useremail", "");
    >
    > Default profile folder locations:
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    No luck opening the .js file. Scripting error MS
    I deleted the main email account thinking I would see if that did any
    good and then reinstall it. After deleting the account I closed TB
    and reopened it to find of of the accounts I wanted to get rid of in
    place of may main account. I deleted it and the same occurred on the
    other 2 accounts. After deleting the unwanted accounts, I
    reinstalled the main account and now all is well. There is probably
    a much easier way to have done this but the job is done and I am
    happy :) Thank You for all your help it was most appreciated.

    Old Gringo, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> Each of my mail and news accounts in Account Settings has its own
    >>> "Manage Identities" button. And each button opens an "Identities for
    >>> <account_name>" window with different addresses in it.

    >> That is the way mine are also however, in the from dropdown window
    >> there several still there and I can not find a way to remove them.
    >> They do not show in the accounts settings menu
    >>

    > If you clicked all of the "Manage Identities" buttons (there's one for
    > each account) and didn't find the addresses in any of the "Identities
    > for ..." windows, try opening your profile's prefs.js file in Notepad
    > and see if the addresses are there. Post the line they appear in if found.
    >
    > The line may look something like this:
    > user_pref("mail.identity.id5.useremail", "");
    >
    > Default profile folder locations:
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    A lot of of's in there, take one out and add 1 (one) and thanks
    again for the help

    Old Gringo, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Old Gringo

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> That is the way mine are also however, in the from dropdown window
    >>> there several still there and I can not find a way to remove them.
    >>> They do not show in the accounts settings menu
    >>>

    >> If you clicked all of the "Manage Identities" buttons (there's one for
    >> each account) and didn't find the addresses in any of the "Identities
    >> for ..." windows, try opening your profile's prefs.js file in Notepad
    >> and see if the addresses are there. Post the line they appear in if
    >> found.
    >>
    >> The line may look something like this:
    >> user_pref("mail.identity.id5.useremail", "");
    >>
    >> Default profile folder locations:
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    > No luck opening the .js file. Scripting error MS
    > I deleted the main email account thinking I would see if that did any
    > good and then reinstall it. After deleting the account I closed TB and
    > reopened it to find of of the accounts I wanted to get rid of in place
    > of may main account. I deleted it and the same occurred on the other 2
    > accounts. After deleting the unwanted accounts, I reinstalled the main
    > account and now all is well. There is probably a much easier way to
    > have done this but the job is done and I am happy :) Thank You for all
    > your help it was most appreciated.

    Don't double-click the .js file as that tells Windows to try and
    exectute the script, which it can't because it's not an executable
    script. Right-click and open it in Notepad to edit. Only do this with
    the application closed.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> If you clicked all of the "Manage Identities" buttons (there's one
    >>> for each account) and didn't find the addresses in any of the
    >>> "Identities for ..." windows, try opening your profile's prefs.js
    >>> file in Notepad and see if the addresses are there. Post the line
    >>> they appear in if found.
    >>>
    >>> The line may look something like this:
    >>> user_pref("mail.identity.id5.useremail", "");
    >>>
    >>> Default profile folder locations:
    >>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    >> No luck opening the .js file. Scripting error MS
    >> I deleted the main email account thinking I would see if that did any
    >> good and then reinstall it. After deleting the account I closed TB
    >> and reopened it to find of of the accounts I wanted to get rid of in
    >> place of may main account. I deleted it and the same occurred on the
    >> other 2 accounts. After deleting the unwanted accounts, I reinstalled
    >> the main account and now all is well. There is probably a much easier
    >> way to have done this but the job is done and I am happy :) Thank
    >> You for all your help it was most appreciated.
    >>

    > Don't double-click the .js file as that tells Windows to try and
    > exectute the script, which it can't because it's not an executable
    > script. Right-click and open it in Notepad to edit. Only do this with
    > the application closed.

    Thanks Ed;, I tried that and was a no go. My problem is solved and
    all is well now. Thanks again.

    Old Gringo, Aug 12, 2005