    How do I get them back (I hope nobody suggests reformatting and starting
    again) as I need a break from all that having done it twice now in the last
    month.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 6, 2006

  2. I'd suggest checking your Event Viewer logs and see if there are any hints
    that might co-incide with something you installed/un-installed. Can you
    remember experiencing any disturbances lately?

    The last time you repaired/re-installed, did you notice if the componens
    were actually present?

    In Control Panel 'Folder View', you can configure what is displayed/hidden
    in the menu's, did you go through the motions last time?

    I think this is something trivial, [mucho mysterioso] if not.

    Tony. . .

    "Carol Steele" <> wrote in message
    > I was going to do a disk defrag - and the option isn't there any more via

    the
    > Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools. Not to worry I thought,

    I'll
    > do it via the Disk Management console via Start-->Settings-->Control
    > Panel-->Adminstrative Tools - and the Disk Management option had vanished

    too.

    Tony Sperling, Sep 6, 2006

  3. "Tony Sperling" wrote:

    > I'd suggest checking your Event Viewer logs and see if there are any hints
    > that might co-incide with something you installed/un-installed. Can you
    > remember experiencing any disturbances lately?
    >
    > The last time you repaired/re-installed, did you notice if the componens
    > were actually present?
    >
    > In Control Panel 'Folder View', you can configure what is displayed/hidden
    > in the menu's, did you go through the motions last time?
    >
    > I think this is something trivial, [mucho mysterioso] if not.
    >

    > Tony. . .

    No I think I misled you - the last re-install was on my old system and then
    a fresh ne install on this system. I tried a re-install from Windows itself
    as it said it would keep all my existing settings intact. I last did a
    defrag on Sunday when I had finished installing win x64.

    However it is still on my system as I have just found another way to do it -
    by double clicking My Computer and then right clicking on a drive and
    choosing 'Properties' ad then 'Tools' - the defrag option is present there
    and works.

    I guess I'll just have to stumble along without my disk management tools
    until Vista x64 is released and I'll upgrade to that.

    Thanks

    Carol

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Yeah! Good to hear, had an inclin about nothing serious. I am on Win2K at
    the moment, here what I said about folder view is actually in Task Bar
    Properties - there you can opt to hide Administrative Tools from
    out-a-da-menu. Can't remember, think that is where it is in XP too?

    Tony Sperling, Sep 6, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
    >
    >> I'd suggest checking your Event Viewer logs and see if there are any
    >> hints
    >> that might co-incide with something you installed/un-installed. Can you
    >> remember experiencing any disturbances lately?
    >>
    >> The last time you repaired/re-installed, did you notice if the componens
    >> were actually present?
    >>
    >> In Control Panel 'Folder View', you can configure what is
    >> displayed/hidden
    >> in the menu's, did you go through the motions last time?
    >>
    >> I think this is something trivial, [mucho mysterioso] if not.
    >>

    >> Tony. . .
    >>

    > No I think I misled you - the last re-install was on my old system and
    > then
    > a fresh ne install on this system. I tried a re-install from Windows
    > itself
    > as it said it would keep all my existing settings intact. I last did a
    > defrag on Sunday when I had finished installing win x64.
    >
    > However it is still on my system as I have just found another way to do
    > it -
    > by double clicking My Computer and then right clicking on a drive and
    > choosing 'Properties' ad then 'Tools' - the defrag option is present there
    > and works.
    >
    > I guess I'll just have to stumble along without my disk management tools
    > until Vista x64 is released and I'll upgrade to that.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carol

    From my understanding, that too will be a fresh install also, if running
    WinX64 and going to WinVista X64..., but both issues you discuss as being
    missing are short cuts, not the actual defrag files themselves, the defrag
    short on the start menu in Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools
    actually runs:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\dfrg.msc

    The one in Start-->Settings--Control Panel-->Adminstrative Tools actually
    runs:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\diskmgmt.msc

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your Friend!
    http://www.google.com

    Admiral Q, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Hi Carol,

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no "upgrade" path from Windows XP
    Professional x64 to Windows Vista x64, clean install only.

    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  7. Andre:
    Welcome back, we've missed you.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Hello, Andre. Dare say, it's been a while.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 6, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    i have seen that happen on 2003 servers, and XP when you are logged in
    without administrator privilages, or ... a GPO setting is preventing the
    operation.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Sep 6, 2006
  10. Hey Guys,

    Its been awhile, hasn't it? Well, I am back from vacation now, so I should
    be here some more. Thanks for the welcome back. :)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Jane C Guest

    Good to see you again, Andre. Hope the vacation was a good one :)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Sep 6, 2006
  12. It sure was, I was in Montego Bay for most of July and spending the rest on
    the South Coast. It was so much fun waking up late and going to the beach.
    :)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  13. Heeee's Baaacckk!

    Welcome, Andre. The place hasn't been the same without you. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  14. Right click "My Computer". Select Manage. Or Select Run from the start menu
    and type: "diskmgmt.msc" and hit enter. (or the same from a command window)
    to get the disk management part. dfrg.msc for the defrag part.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  15. Thanks Charlie, I missed you all, its great to be back in the saddle. :)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  16. Well something odd happened this morning. You might recll that I mentioned I
    re-installed XPx64 from within Windows as it promised to keep all my
    settings, registry entries etc - and that failed to restore it.

    Well I got up this morning, switched on the computer and then wandered into
    the bathroom to clean my teeth etc. During this I wandered back into the
    computer room so that I could log in ........................ and saw Windows
    re-installing itself. I decided to go with the flow and around 15mins later
    it finished. The first thing I noticed on the final boot was that the dual
    monitors had been switched around - easily solved. But the really good news
    was that the defrag option was back in it's rightful place via the
    Start-->Programs route and the Disk Management tools were back if I went in
    to Administrative Tools via Control Panel.

    The Microsoft Fairey must have paid a visit to my computer overnight ;)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 6, 2006
  17. Wonderous stuff, our digital friends. And some say they don't have a mind of
    their own - that it's all technology. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 6, 2006
  18. Is that really you, Andre?
    We were missing you a lot.
    Glad to have you back in town.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 6, 2006
  19. Hey Carlos my good friend, thanks for the welcome back! :)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006