    be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just to find
    that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to test the
    component in/out before i buy expensive cables
    Andrew, May 16, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Richard Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a set
    > of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?
    >
    > ive been told it does work, im about to go and buy a set of component
    > cables, but got told that if your not worried about quality, you can use
    > rca composite cables instead..
    >
    > ok so i tried this and i got nothing. - doesnt exactly tell me that it
    > doesnt work as ive never used compoenent before and something else could
    > be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just to find
    > that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to test the
    > component in/out before i buy expensive cables

    It works fine, there is less information in the component signals so in theory
    you can use shittier cables, not that you can really get shittier then the ones
    that come with VCRs etc.

    all video cables (composite or componet) are is 75ohm coax terminated in an RCA
    plug. Most supplied ones are not even coax.
    Richard, May 16, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    Andrew wrote:
    > What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a set
    > of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?

    It should...you can build component and composite cables from the same
    material...

    > ive been told it does work, im about to go and buy a set of component
    > cables, but got told that if your not worried about quality, you can use
    > rca composite cables instead..
    >
    > ok so i tried this and i got nothing. - doesnt exactly tell me that it
    > doesnt work as ive never used compoenent before and something else could
    > be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just to find
    > that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to test the
    > component in/out before i buy expensive cables

    Not sure what issue you may be having...maybe possible you have
    mismatched one plug (which means 2 plugs are in wrong socket).
    Some DVD's have a switch that enables either S-video/composite,
    or component, but not both at the same time...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 16, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a
    >> set of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?

    > It should...you can build component and composite cables from the same
    > material...
    >
    >> ive been told it does work, im about to go and buy a set of component
    >> cables, but got told that if your not worried about quality, you can
    >> use rca composite cables instead..
    >>
    >> ok so i tried this and i got nothing. - doesnt exactly tell me that it
    >> doesnt work as ive never used compoenent before and something else
    >> could be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just
    >> to find that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to
    >> test the component in/out before i buy expensive cables

    > Not sure what issue you may be having...maybe possible you have
    > mismatched one plug (which means 2 plugs are in wrong socket).
    > Some DVD's have a switch that enables either S-video/composite,
    > or component, but not both at the same time...

    I did double check the plugs/colours - ive been told that the dvd player
    is probably not set to send the signal to the component plugs, and check
    to see if the player is outputting a progressive video stream
    Andrew, May 16, 2005
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a
    >> set of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?
    >>
    >> ive been told it does work, im about to go and buy a set of component
    >> cables, but got told that if your not worried about quality, you can
    >> use rca composite cables instead..
    >>
    >> ok so i tried this and i got nothing. - doesnt exactly tell me that it
    >> doesnt work as ive never used compoenent before and something else
    >> could be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just
    >> to find that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to
    >> test the component in/out before i buy expensive cables

    > It works fine, there is less information in the component signals so in
    > theory you can use shittier cables, not that you can really get shittier
    > then the ones that come with VCRs etc.
    >
    > all video cables (composite or componet) are is 75ohm coax terminated in
    > an RCA plug. Most supplied ones are not even coax.

    Thanks for that, Will do some more investigating as to why its not
    sending any signal
    Andrew, May 16, 2005
  6. Andrew

    Richard Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    >> all video cables (composite or componet) are is 75ohm coax terminated
    >> in an RCA plug. Most supplied ones are not even coax.

    > Thanks for that, Will do some more investigating as to why its not
    > sending any signal

    Try the compoenent outs into the composite in, one at a time, one of them will
    give a black and white picture.

    Also check you dont have progressive output enabled on the dvd when the TV cant
    do it.
    Richard, May 16, 2005
  7. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a set of
    > component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?

    Should work fine. That's how I have my DVD connected to my TV's component
    inputs. The guy at Jaycar told me to do this when I balked at the price of a
    set of component cables.
    Jules Winnfield, May 16, 2005
  8. Hi there,

    Andrew wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a
    >>> set of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?

    >> It should...you can build component and composite cables from the same
    >> material...
    >>
    >>> ive been told it does work, im about to go and buy a set of component
    >>> cables, but got told that if your not worried about quality, you can
    >>> use rca composite cables instead..
    >>>
    >>> ok so i tried this and i got nothing. - doesnt exactly tell me that
    >>> it doesnt work as ive never used compoenent before and something else
    >>> could be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just
    >>> to find that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to
    >>> test the component in/out before i buy expensive cables

    >> Not sure what issue you may be having...maybe possible you have
    >> mismatched one plug (which means 2 plugs are in wrong socket).
    >> Some DVD's have a switch that enables either S-video/composite,
    >> or component, but not both at the same time...
    >>

    > I did double check the plugs/colours - ive been told that the dvd player
    > is probably not set to send the signal to the component plugs, and check
    > to see if the player is outputting a progressive video stream

    Ah, yes. Didn't think of progressive streams, probably because I've
    never had enough money to buy a TV or DVD capable of doing them!

    My old Pioneer DVD had a hardware switch that enabled the component
    output, but maybe yours does that through the OSD setup screen?

    Chris Wilkinson, May 16, 2005
  9. Andrew

    Rob J Guest

    In article <7gVhe.351$> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 May
    2005 16:24:33 +1200, Andrew <> says...
    > What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a set
    > of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?

    Should be no difference at all.

    The cables always have to be 75 ohm coax. Over long lengths of coax there
    are different grades that have different losses.

    But using say a high grade coax such as RG6 should be just as good as
    fancy cables.
    Rob J, May 16, 2005
  10. Andrew

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 16:24:33 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:

    >What actually happens when you use 3 composite cables in place of a set
    >of component cables. Does it actually work at all, even remotely?
    >
    >ive been told it does work, im about to go and buy a set of component
    >cables, but got told that if your not worried about quality, you can use
    >rca composite cables instead..
    >
    >ok so i tried this and i got nothing. - doesnt exactly tell me that it
    >doesnt work as ive never used compoenent before and something else could
    >be broken, and i dont want to go and get component cables just to find
    >that the thing thats broken is still broken.... any way to test the
    >component in/out before i buy expensive cables

    If it's from a DVD player check it's menus, I went to look at someone elses
    setup a few months ago that couldn't get component going, and all it was is a
    menu option on the player that was off from the factory by default. I turned it
    on and everything was fine.
    Craig Shore, May 16, 2005
  11. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,

    >>> It should...you can build component and composite cables from the same
    >>> material...

    >>> Not sure what issue you may be having...maybe possible you have
    >>> mismatched one plug (which means 2 plugs are in wrong socket).
    >>> Some DVD's have a switch that enables either S-video/composite,
    >>> or component, but not both at the same time...
    >>>

    >> I did double check the plugs/colours - ive been told that the dvd
    >> player is probably not set to send the signal to the component plugs,
    >> and check
    >> to see if the player is outputting a progressive video stream

    > Ah, yes. Didn't think of progressive streams, probably because I've
    > never had enough money to buy a TV or DVD capable of doing them!
    >
    > My old Pioneer DVD had a hardware switch that enabled the component
    > output, but maybe yours does that through the OSD setup screen?

    Ive got it running now with normal rca cables, im not 100% exactly sure
    of what the problem was - but its working, i did see options for the
    progressive scan and it was already set right...

    god knows, picked up a set of acoustic research cables for free from
    some one at work today though - thats a bonus
    Andrew, May 17, 2005