    program associated with the tape drive. I have also removed and
    resinserted all cards, including the memory. Obviously there are no
    virusus or spyware.

    mcp6453, Oct 15, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Wizard Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > For a while, I had a Seagate STT20000A tape drive in my Windows 2000 Pro
    > machine. Before I removed it, I deleted it from Device Manager. Now,
    > every day or so, the computer hard locks requiring a power-off to reset.
    > I went through the registry trying to delete all references to the
    > drive, but there are some entries (CurrentContolSet, I believe) that I
    > cannot delete. Why can I not delete them?

    permissions

    Wizard, Oct 15, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor: Re: Completely Removing Tape Drive

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > For a while, I had a Seagate STT20000A tape drive in my Windows 2000 Pro
    > machine. Before I removed it, I deleted it from Device Manager. Now,
    > every day or so, the computer hard locks requiring a power-off to reset.
    > I went through the registry trying to delete all references to the
    > drive, but there are some entries (CurrentContolSet, I believe) that I
    > cannot delete. Why can I not delete them?
    >
    > I am unable to identify any Services or anything running in the
    > background (msconfig) that suggests that the computer is trying to run a
    > program associated with the tape drive. I have also removed and
    > resinserted all cards, including the memory. Obviously there are no
    > virusus or spyware.

    Anybody have an answer?

    mcp6453, Oct 16, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    Re: Re: Completely Removing Tape Drive

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >>
    >> For a while, I had a Seagate STT20000A tape drive in my Windows 2000 Pro
    >> machine. Before I removed it, I deleted it from Device Manager. Now,
    >> every day or so, the computer hard locks requiring a power-off to reset.
    >> I went through the registry trying to delete all references to the
    >> drive, but there are some entries (CurrentContolSet, I believe) that I
    >> cannot delete. Why can I not delete them?
    >>
    >> I am unable to identify any Services or anything running in the
    >> background (msconfig) that suggests that the computer is trying to run a
    >> program associated with the tape drive. I have also removed and
    >> resinserted all cards, including the memory. Obviously there are no
    >> virusus or spyware.

    > Anybody have an answer?

    try reinstalling it. See if the problem goes away when the device is
    installed. Then, try just shutting down and removing the tape drive rather
    than deleting the device from device manager prior to removal. Allow windows
    to automatically remove the device from the list when it boots up next time.

    Thor, Oct 16, 2004