    --
    John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)
    , Oct 30, 2005

  2. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:p
    > Sorry if this seems really dumb and it's possibly been
    > answered before.
    >
    > I need only basic Voip facilities and I'm looking at the
    > handsets sold by Maplin (for example) that just plug into
    > the USB port. I have an ADSL modem (rather than a router)
    > that's on a 2M connection.
    >
    > Maplin suggests Skype as a provider and indeed I've
    > looked at that, but what other options do I have with
    > this simple setup? Most of the other Voip websites I've
    > looked at make no mention at all of these USB handsets
    > and seem to imply that much more expensive hardware is
    > needed.
    >
    > What are my best options? Again, sorry for such an
    > elementary question!

    It all depends what you want from VoIP.

    If all you want is to be able to chat for free to a few mates and you
    don't mind putting up with the limitations of USB devices (i.e. PC needing
    to be on all the time) then Skype is fine.

    If on the other hand you want more, such as an effective second line with
    the ability to use an ordinary phone on the end of it then USB is fairly
    limiting. An external device such as a Sipura 2100 or similar will plug
    into an ADSL router and allow you to use any SIP based service like
    Sipgate, Gradwell, Free World Dialup etc. with an ordinary phone.
    Depending on the provider you choose, you can have a geographic or an 0870
    phone number free or for a very cheap charge and call charges to other
    users of the system are free. Calls to normal phones are also very cheap,
    but rates do vary.

    There are plenty of options to choose from so do some homework before you
    spend any serious money.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Thus spaketh :
    > Sorry if this seems really dumb and it's possibly been answered
    > before.
    >
    > I need only basic Voip facilities and I'm looking at the handsets sold
    > by Maplin (for example) that just plug into the USB port. I have an
    > ADSL modem (rather than a router) that's on a 2M connection.
    >
    > Maplin suggests Skype as a provider and indeed I've looked at that,
    > but what other options do I have with this simple setup? Most of the
    > other Voip websites I've looked at make no mention at all of these
    > USB handsets and seem to imply that much more expensive hardware is
    > needed.
    >
    > What are my best options? Again, sorry for such an elementary
    > question!
    >

    > Regards

    You could have a look at www.sipgate.co.uk, test it with the free software,
    and then if you want to use a USB device you can do so.

    For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via above site.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:00:54 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Thus spaketh :
    >> Sorry if this seems really dumb and it's possibly been answered
    >> before.
    >>
    >> I need only basic Voip facilities and I'm looking at the handsets sold
    >> by Maplin (for example) that just plug into the USB port. I have an
    >> ADSL modem (rather than a router) that's on a 2M connection.
    >>
    >> Maplin suggests Skype as a provider and indeed I've looked at that,
    >> but what other options do I have with this simple setup? Most of the
    >> other Voip websites I've looked at make no mention at all of these
    >> USB handsets and seem to imply that much more expensive hardware is
    >> needed.
    >>
    >> What are my best options? Again, sorry for such an elementary
    >> question!
    >>

    >> Regards

    >You could have a look at www.sipgate.co.uk, test it with the free software,
    >and then if you want to use a USB device you can do so.

    " Cough splutter cough"
    , Oct 30, 2005
  5. Stickems. Guest

    You could download a free softphone program and buy a headset from the pound
    shop, sign up to 18866.com or 1899.com and away you go.

    Stickems., Oct 30, 2005
  6. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Stickems." <> wrote in message
    > You could download a free softphone program and buy a
    > headset from the pound shop, sign up to 18866.com or
    > 1899.com and away you go.

    You could learn to bottom post, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Ivor
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Ivor Jones, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:16:07 -0000, "Stickems."
    <> wrote:

    >You could download a free softphone program and buy a headset from the pound
    >shop, sign up to 18866.com or 1899.com and away you go.

    That seems an odd way to go if using a softphone.
    Better to sign up with a provider such as voipcheap I would have
    thought. Currently UK landline calls are free.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Oct 30, 2005
  8. Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:20:58 +0000, wrote:

    >" Cough splutter cough"

    Dexter, just because you couldn't get sipgate to work reliably does
    not mean that it is broken. It seems to work perfectly for me, and has
    done for several months. Other people have no problems with it.

    Opening a sipgate account is free, has no line rental, and gets you a
    standard SIP connection. Ideal for trying VOIP.

    Now get back under that bridge, troll. You are fooling nobody.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html