    version of WinRE? Shouldn't this be on the DVD? Please help!

    Thanks,

    Phil

    Phil, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Phil

    Phil Guest

    OK, I have some more information and this is either poor design or a
    bug. Here's what I did:

    1) Partition hard disk with two primary drives (C and D)
    2) Install Vista 32-bit on C
    3) Do a complete backup to D
    4) Install Vista 64-bit on C using the same computer name as used in
    step 2
    5) Do a complete backup to D, overwriting the backup made in step 3
    6) Install Vista 32-bit on C using a different computer name then used
    in step 2
    7) Do a complete backup to D
    8) Insert the 64-bit installation media and boot from it
    9) Attempt to restore the backup of the 64-bit install

    Expected Results: The restore is successful.

    Actual Results: A misleading error message appears saying that you must
    use the x64 architecture of WinRE. If you boot from the 32-bit
    installation media, you are able to restore the 64-bit backup.

    If this is by design it is very confusing and counter-intuitive that I
    would need the 32-bit install media to restore the 64-bit OS. And if
    it is not fixed I think that the error message should at least be more
    clear in explaining the problem!

    Thanks,

    Phil

    Phil, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Hello Phil,
    Checking on this with the backup people.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Phil" <>
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
[...]