Complete novice looking for help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by paulylaw, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. paulylaw

    paulylaw Guest

    Ok, so here's the story so far. I love the idea of moving from the
    point and click photography of many years taking the usual family
    pictures to more artistic photography, particularly portraights and
    movement (sport, dance, etc, which is my professional background).
    Thing is I dont have a single clue what I'm doing. So I was looking for
    some advice from the knowledgable members here :)

    I have bought myself a Nikon D80 which I am enjoying playing with. I am
    a bit of a geek with photoshop having used it for years with work, so
    can mess around with the photos that are taken to produce some nice
    results. I also have plenty of room in my office building to set up a
    small studio. I would like some advice on suitable equipment and
    suppliers in the UK.

    Particularly lighting. I'm guessing I need to get myself some Flash
    Heads (like I know what I'm talking about. I did a google search for
    flashy thingies and it came up with Flash Heads!). Can anyone suggest
    where I can get the whole works, stand, Flash Heads and reflector
    thingies compatible with my D80.

    Also I need some backdrops. I saw a frame thing that a local
    photographer was using doing the kinda shopping centre photo sessions
    you see. It looked quite handy as it seemed to just come apart to
    transport. Any ideas?

    Lastly, as you can probably tell from my post I really dont have a clue
    what I'm doing. Can anyone suggest some good courses or books, etc,
    that might give me some tips. I tend to learn fast but need a starting
    point.

    Kind regards,

    Paul

    paulylaw, Dec 27, 2006

  2. paulylaw wrote:
    > Ok, so here's the story so far. I love the idea of moving from the
    > point and click photography of many years taking the usual family
    > pictures to more artistic photography, particularly portraights and
    > movement (sport, dance, etc, which is my professional background).
    > Thing is I dont have a single clue what I'm doing. So I was looking for
    > some advice from the knowledgable members here :)
    >
    > I have bought myself a Nikon D80 which I am enjoying playing with. I am
    > a bit of a geek with photoshop having used it for years with work, so
    > can mess around with the photos that are taken to produce some nice
    > results. I also have plenty of room in my office building to set up a
    > small studio. I would like some advice on suitable equipment and
    > suppliers in the UK.
    >
    > Particularly lighting. I'm guessing I need to get myself some Flash
    > Heads (like I know what I'm talking about. I did a google search for
    > flashy thingies and it came up with Flash Heads!). Can anyone suggest
    > where I can get the whole works, stand, Flash Heads and reflector
    > thingies compatible with my D80.

    Go to your local library. There have been many good books covering
    just the stuff you are looking for published over the years. Almost
    any library will have at least a few of the good ones.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Dec 27, 2006

  3. paulylaw

    paulylaw Guest

    Hey,

    Thx for the response. Have you any specific recommendations? You are
    correct, the local library (and amazon for that matter) have a very
    wide selection so was hoping to narrow it down a little.

    Also, any recommendations of UK suppliers who dont mind walking a
    novice through what they need would be appreciated :)

    Kind regards,

    Paul

    paulylaw, Dec 27, 2006
  4. paulylaw

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Thx for the response. Have you any specific recommendations? You are
    >correct, the local library (and amazon for that matter) have a very
    >wide selection so was hoping to narrow it down a little.

    Go to the library Paul, and spend a week or two getting introduced, and
    then you should be able to narrow your questions down a little so that
    they might be answerable. I think (not sure) your subject is "studio
    lighting", so also search google.com for "studio lighting". It is a big
    subject, not difficult, but broad, with many directions possible. We
    learn by being interested and checking it out.

    Wayne, Dec 27, 2006
  5. paulylaw

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 27 Dec 2006 06:45:20 -0800, "paulylaw" <> wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >Thx for the response. Have you any specific recommendations? You are
    >correct, the local library (and amazon for that matter) have a very
    >wide selection so was hoping to narrow it down a little.
    >
    >Also, any recommendations of UK suppliers who dont mind walking a
    >novice through what they need would be appreciated :)
    >
    >Kind regards,
    >
    >Paul

    You're looking for the quick & easy way.
    Good luck.
    Instead, put in the time and effort. Visit the library and read the
    books.
    Don't ask salespeople to teach you how to use the things they sell;
    that's what the manuals are for.
    To understand why you want to use the things they sell, you need to
    learn a lot more. The manuals tell you what the different devices will
    do; it's up to you to understand *WHY* you want to do those things.
    You get that knowledge by either reading, or taking lessons, or
    experience; the last being the best way by far. Reading and lessons
    will only go so far, after that experience is needed. IOW, work.
    It's up to you to narrow this down, no one can do it for you.
    Sorry.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 27, 2006
  6. paulylaw wrote:
    > Ok, so here's the story so far. I love the idea of moving from the
    > point and click photography of many years taking the usual family
    > pictures to more artistic photography, particularly portraights and
    > movement (sport, dance, etc, which is my professional background).
    > Thing is I dont have a single clue what I'm doing. So I was looking
    > for some advice from the knowledgable members here :)
    >
    > I have bought myself a Nikon D80 which I am enjoying playing with. I
    > am a bit of a geek with photoshop having used it for years with work,
    > so can mess around with the photos that are taken to produce some nice
    > results. I also have plenty of room in my office building to set up a
    > small studio. I would like some advice on suitable equipment and
    > suppliers in the UK.

    > Particularly lighting. I'm guessing I need to get myself some Flash
    > Heads (like I know what I'm talking about. I did a google search for
    > flashy thingies and it came up with Flash Heads!). Can anyone suggest
    > where I can get the whole works, stand, Flash Heads and reflector
    > thingies compatible with my D80.
    >
    > Also I need some backdrops. I saw a frame thing that a local
    > photographer was using doing the kinda shopping centre photo sessions
    > you see. It looked quite handy as it seemed to just come apart to
    > transport. Any ideas?
    >
    > Lastly, as you can probably tell from my post I really dont have a
    > clue what I'm doing. Can anyone suggest some good courses or books,
    > etc, that might give me some tips. I tend to learn fast but need a
    > starting point.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Paul

    You may find this useful reading -
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

    Dennis Pogson, Dec 27, 2006
  7. paulylaw wrote:
    > Ok, so here's the story so far. I love the idea of moving from the
    > point and click photography of many years taking the usual family
    > pictures to more artistic photography, particularly portraights and
    > movement (sport, dance, etc, which is my professional background).
    > Thing is I dont have a single clue what I'm doing. So I was looking for
    > some advice from the knowledgable members here :)
    >
    > I have bought myself a Nikon D80 which I am enjoying playing with. I am
    > a bit of a geek with photoshop having used it for years with work, so
    > can mess around with the photos that are taken to produce some nice
    > results. I also have plenty of room in my office building to set up a
    > small studio. I would like some advice on suitable equipment and
    > suppliers in the UK.
    >
    > Particularly lighting. I'm guessing I need to get myself some Flash
    > Heads (like I know what I'm talking about. I did a google search for
    > flashy thingies and it came up with Flash Heads!). Can anyone suggest
    > where I can get the whole works, stand, Flash Heads and reflector
    > thingies compatible with my D80.
    >
    > Also I need some backdrops. I saw a frame thing that a local
    > photographer was using doing the kinda shopping centre photo sessions
    > you see. It looked quite handy as it seemed to just come apart to
    > transport. Any ideas?
    >
    > Lastly, as you can probably tell from my post I really dont have a clue
    > what I'm doing. Can anyone suggest some good courses or books, etc,
    > that might give me some tips. I tend to learn fast but need a starting
    > point.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Paul

    Paul,

    Checkout this Web site for books... http://www.amherstmedia.com/

    Find the book that you want and check amazon.com, ebay.com, etc for the
    best price.

    Here are some specifics.

    First shoot in AV (Aperture Value, also known as Aperture Priority) mode
    for the majority of you pics. When you shoot in AV with a short value,
    for example 5.8, that will put the background out of focus so that your
    subject catches the attention of the observer and does not distract.

    Second, learn about the "Rule of 3's". I have also heard it referred to
    as the "Rule of 9's". Mentally divide the viewfinder into 9 equal
    squares. Never shoot the main subject in the center of the viewfinder.
    Offset it in the frame, Left Right or Up and Down. Here is an
    example. If you are shooting landscape and you want to minimize the
    sky, have the sky across the upper 3 horizontal frames. If you are
    trying to accentuate the sky, then the upper 2 thirds of the frame
    should show the sky. (like air show pics). There is one acception to
    the "never shot the main subject in the center of the frame and that is
    for Portrait photography.

    Just remember that there are always exceptions to any rule.

    Michael Calverley, Dec 27, 2006
  8. paulylaw

    paulylaw Guest

    Thx for all the replies, very helpfull.

    The specific recommendations are most welcome, I am following on that
    now, and have found some interesting articles on the Rule of 3's :)

    Incidentally I found some very nice guys at Steve's Photo Shop
    (www.stevesphotoshop.co.uk) who were really helpfull talking me through
    some of the basic equipment I would need. Seems the Internet is one of
    the most useful libraries going full of people willing to offer some
    words of advice to send you on the right learning track rather than
    many people each spending weeks trawling the traditional libraries for
    the same information. Sharing is a great way to learn so I appreciate
    the feedback you have offered :)

    Regards,

    Paul

    paulylaw, Dec 28, 2006