    HD's imaged or is the image file smaller?
    My partitions are 239 111 40 gig. Do I need an external hd of 400gig or
    better to store the image file?

    Kue2, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Kue2

    Graham Guest

    Kue2 wrote:
    > The image file created to be stored on an external HD is the size of the
    > HD's imaged or is the image file smaller?
    > My partitions are 239 111 40 gig. Do I need an external hd of 400gig or
    > better to store the image file?

    This entirely depends on the program you use to do it. If it compresses
    it, it will generally be smaller.

    Graham.

    Graham, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Usually somewhat smaller. Maybe 75% of original size? There are all sorts of
    factors that enter into the equation, but it has to do with how much blank
    space is on the drive, how much the application compresses, the hardware in
    use, etc.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Kue2

    Theo Guest

    If you use Terabyte Unlimited's Image, either DOS of
    Windows, it only images the data and compresses it. It does
    skip files such as the Page file and the Hibernate file.
    When you Put the image on a new hard drive, the partition
    must be at least as big as the partition you imaged. The
    best thing to do is to shrink the partition as much as you
    can before imaging and then expand it to desired size after
    putting on the new drive.

    Theo, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Re: complete image backup (Charlie Russel)

    I'm Going to be using Acronis True Image 10 in Vista 64 to make an image
    file. Has anyone used this yet,if so how much did it compress .

    Kue2, Dec 13, 2006