    transparency, drawing fire, water ripples, the usual thing.

    I still haven't got Compiz working on my own Gentoo box (with NVidia card).
    Maybe I should give up and switch to Ubuntu...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rob S Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Has anybody got Compiz Fusion working on an ATI graphics card?
    >
    > I helped a friend install Ubuntu Gutsy yesterday. The Dell box had an ATI
    > card. Even after going into the Restricted Drivers app and installing the
    > closed-source ATI driver, it would not let us enable anything in
    > the "Visual Effects" tab of the Appearance app--just said "failed" when i
    > tried. I was able to run glxgears and have it report it was doing a frame
    > rate of a few thousand per second, so the closed-source OpenGL driver was
    > installed and working.
    >
    > So we decided to try another box which had an NVidia card in it. Rather than
    > do the install again, we unplugged its hard drives and moved across the
    > drive from the Dell. Booted it up, went into Restricted Drivers, chose
    > Nvidia, installed that. Then into "Visual Effects", and this time it
    > worked. He got his wobbly windows. Then he found a Web page which listed
    > the various keyboard shortcuts for controlling the more outrageous plugin
    > effects, and we really went to town--rotating desktop cube, variable
    > transparency, drawing fire, water ripples, the usual thing.
    >
    > I still haven't got Compiz working on my own Gentoo box (with NVidia card).
    > Maybe I should give up and switch to Ubuntu...

    I've been running compiz/fusion on a 9600pro for about 6 months on
    gutsy, but I can't remember all the steps to get it right. I've just got
    home from 2 months in hospital and I went through my email and deleted a
    pile relating to it.

    I followed a script on the Ubuntu forums, but a quick search didn't turn
    it up. Once I got it going, I couldn't run multiple desktops, so I filed
    a bug report and someone came back with a workaround.

    I've just checked my xorg.cong and I'm running the ATI drivers. I think
    your best bet is the forums. I know it won't run on anything much lower
    than a 9600, eg. 9200s are no go.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Rob S, Jan 1, 2008

  3. In article <477a9d8b$>, Rob S did write:

    > I've been running compiz/fusion on a 9600pro for about 6 months on
    > gutsy...

    Thanks, but Gutsy was only officially released in October.

    I think my friend's card was an X1900XT, if I recall the lspci output
    correctly.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Has anybody got Compiz Fusion working on an ATI graphics card?
    >
    > I helped a friend install Ubuntu Gutsy yesterday. The Dell box had an ATI
    > card. Even after going into the Restricted Drivers app and installing the
    > closed-source ATI driver, it would not let us enable anything in
    > the "Visual Effects" tab of the Appearance app--just said "failed" when i
    > tried. I was able to run glxgears and have it report it was doing a frame
    > rate of a few thousand per second, so the closed-source OpenGL driver was
    > installed and working.
    >
    > So we decided to try another box which had an NVidia card in it. Rather
    > than do the install again, we unplugged its hard drives and moved across
    > the drive from the Dell. Booted it up, went into Restricted Drivers, chose
    > Nvidia, installed that. Then into "Visual Effects", and this time it
    > worked. He got his wobbly windows. Then he found a Web page which listed
    > the various keyboard shortcuts for controlling the more outrageous plugin
    > effects, and we really went to town--rotating desktop cube, variable
    > transparency, drawing fire, water ripples, the usual thing.
    >
    > I still haven't got Compiz working on my own Gentoo box (with NVidia
    > card). Maybe I should give up and switch to Ubuntu...

    I have Compiz working on my Gentoo box using Nvidia (this is my primary
    computer I use for work). I did use the xeffects overlay to get it working,
    but I'd heard the recent version is now in the main portage tree, but I
    haven't gotten around to switching to it yet.

    Let me know what issues you are having and we can see if we can get it
    working. It works beautifully for me.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Jan 2, 2008
  5. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > I have Compiz working on my Gentoo box using Nvidia (this is my primary
    > computer I use for work). I did use the xeffects overlay to get it
    > working, but I'd heard the recent version is now in the main portage tree,
    > but I haven't gotten around to switching to it yet.
    >
    > Let me know what issues you are having and we can see if we can get it
    > working. It works beautifully for me.

    I just emerged it from the standard portage tree. Googling for instructions
    turned up these two pages <http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz_Fusion> &
    <http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz>, both of which seem out of date.

    I found the script /usr/bin/compiz-start on my system, so I tried invoking
    that in various ways from my .xinitrc, but it won't start, and I couldn't
    see any obvious error messages indicating why. Do I need to launch dbus as
    well? I might try that next.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Allistar
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have Compiz working on my Gentoo box using Nvidia (this is my primary
    >> computer I use for work). I did use the xeffects overlay to get it
    >> working, but I'd heard the recent version is now in the main portage
    >> tree, but I haven't gotten around to switching to it yet.
    >>
    >> Let me know what issues you are having and we can see if we can get it
    >> working. It works beautifully for me.

    > I just emerged it from the standard portage tree. Googling for
    > instructions turned up these two pages
    > <http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz_Fusion> &
    > <http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz>, both of which seem out of date.
    >
    > I found the script /usr/bin/compiz-start on my system, so I tried invoking
    > that in various ways from my .xinitrc, but it won't start, and I couldn't
    > see any obvious error messages indicating why. Do I need to launch dbus as
    > well? I might try that next.

    Sorry for the delay, been away. I don't have it set to automatically start
    when I log in - rather I start it by clicking an icon I have put in the
    panel (this is useful as in the rare times the compiz window manager
    crashes, I simply click the icon to get it back. I do recall modifying the
    compiz-start script though, here is mine:

    # compiz-start script
    #
    # hacky autodetection of neccessary options for XGL/AIGLX/NVIDIA
    #
    # Hanno Boeck, http://www.hboeck.de/
    #
    # Licensed under the same conditions as compiz itself (MIT or GPL)

    pkill compiz
    pkill emerald

    if [ ! -x /usr/bin/glxinfo ]; then
    echo "glxinfo not found, please install mesa-progs."
    exit -1
    fi

    GLX_WITH_DIRECT=`glxinfo|grep -c GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap`
    GLX_WITH_INDIRECT=`LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxinfo|grep -c
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap`
    GLX_RENDER=`glxinfo|grep -c "OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect"`

    COMPIZ_OPTIONS="--replace ccp --sm-disable"

    if [ $GLX_WITH_DIRECT -eq 3 ]; then
    if [ $GLX_RENDER -eq 0 ]; then
    echo NVIDA detected
    export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
    else
    echo XGL detected
    fi
    elif [ $GLX_WITH_INDIRECT -eq 3 ]; then
    echo AIGLX detected
    export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
    fi

    if [ ! -z $KDE_FULL_SESSION ] && [ -x /usr/bin/kde-window-decorator ]; then
    echo Using KDE decorator
    kde-window-decorator --replace &
    else
    echo Using GTK decorator
    gtk-window-decorator --replace &
    fi

    compiz $COMPIZ_OPTIONS
    ##end

    Does starting it manually (by running:

    compiz --replace cpp --sm-disable

    work?
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Jan 12, 2008

  1. claude

    code Agenda fusion 5.0

    claude, Sep 1, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    claude
    Sep 1, 2003
  2. Annette Kurten

    Homework Fusion music?

    Annette Kurten, Jan 14, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
  4. Silverstrand

    Cold Fusion - spectacular case mod at bit-tech.net