Compile our own unofficial HCL for x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Too bad this is not a wiki...

    So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy based
    on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no problems and
    be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what would be our
    newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?

    Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for you?

    Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.

    Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?

    Video Cards with 64 drivers?

    Audio Cards:

    NICs:

    HDD:

    Drives:

    Keyboard:

    Mouse:

    Printers:

    Scanners
    wewa, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Unfortunately there isn't any official HCL from Microsoft, but I think
    someone in the newsgroups has been compiling one, Chris I think it is.
    www.hcl.ms

    Hopefully this will be available from Microsoft in the near future and third
    party websites like that one from Chris is also helping .

    Check here too:
    http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64hardlist.htm
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005

  3. wewa

    wewa Guest

    The 3d velocity web site looks to be a good start.
    I'm compiling my list of hardware on my x64 machine to contribute to the
    list.

    Thanks Andre!

    wewa, Jun 20, 2005
  4. wewa

    Spiky Guest

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10454,00.html?redir=IEGFC07

    This is a good site for drivers info.

    Spiky, Jun 20, 2005
  5. wewa

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy based on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have
    > little/no problems and be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what would be our newsgroups own Hardware
    > Compatibility List?

    Tyan 2875 with dual Opteron 250 (all devices are active including audio and lan)
    Microsoft 4 button mouse
    Northgate Omnikey keyboard (oldie but a goldie)
    ATI 9800 video board
    WD 74 GB Raptor - had to load SATA driver from tyan website during WIN Xp x64 install
    WD 250 GB - SATA
    HP 4600 DN color laserjet
    HP 4100 DN laserjet
    Samsung 213T LCD monitor running 1280 x 1024 x 32bit at 75 hz

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jun 20, 2005
  6. wewa

    wewa Guest

    > newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?
    >
    > Essentially, what are you using that has a driver and is working for you?
    >
    > Excuse me if MS has posted one, but I haven't seen it.

    Sorry, got carried away and did software too...

    WORKING:
    Dell Xeon EMT64 3.0 GHz (dual capable)
    Intel Pro/1000 MT Server Connection onboard
    Sata Maxtor (maxtor sucks!)/Sata WD/ATA Seagate
    NEC DVDRW DL/LG CDROM/LG DVDRAM DL 16x multidrive
    BFG Nvidia GeForce 6600GT PCI Express 16 dual DVI w/Nvidia driver 71.84
    download
    dual Dell 20" Wide LCD DVI
    Logitech wireless keyboard (volume buttons work!)/mouse w/scroll
    Creative Soundblaster Live 24 bit external USB (native x64 driver)

    WMP10
    Real Alternative 1.40 w/ realmediasplitter.ax
    Quicktime 7 beta
    Adobe Reader 7.0
    Firefox 1.0.4 with speedup tweaks, Flash, Shockwave
    SSHclient 3.2.9
    Avast Home Edition 4.6
    MSN Messenger 7.0
    Softmaker Textmaker 2002 www.softmaker.de
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
    Gspot252b01/Xvid103/Divx521/oggDS0995/3ivx451/VP6
    Flashget 1.65
    Bittorrent 4.1.2 beta
    Windows Install cleanup
    WinRAR 342
    Everest Home Edition 1.51
    flickr uploadr v1.0

    KINDA WORKING:
    External USB 2.0 Hard drives - hot plugging (mount/unmount iffy, mostly
    needs reboot)

    NOT WORKING:
    Adaptec DuoConnect AUA-3020 USB2&FW PCI card http://tinyurl.com/dou6b
    Samsung laser printer ML-2151n & ML-1740 http://tinyurl.com/8fpx4

    Sun Java JRE 1.5.0rc amd64 or 1.5.0.03-p-iftw
    Windows Remote Assistance (native x64)
    wewa, Jun 20, 2005
  7. wewa

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi,
    http://www.ntcompatible.com/compat.php?cat=hardware&sort=WindowsXP64&idx=0 &
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10454,00.html
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Jun 20, 2005
  8. You are welcome. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  9. wewa wrote:

    > So if one was to go out and buy a new PC right now, and wanted to buy based
    > on current x64 compatibility, so that they would have little/no problems and
    > be up and running smoothly with a fresh x64 install, what would be our
    > newsgroups own Hardware Compatibility List?

    By all means, get XP x64 preinstalled. That way you are sure that it
    works, and it saves you *a lot* of hassle.

    > Motherboards with all components 64 drivers readily available today?

    Everything 64bit should be expected to come with drivers... :)

    > Video Cards with 64 drivers?

    NVidia and Radeon have x64 drivers.

    > Mouse:

    Hope it works with the standard driver.

    > Printers:

    Looks pretty bad. Especially inkjet support seems very sparse.

    > Scanners

    Work than printers, desperate would be the word :)

    For printers and scanners, you should check out with the manufacturer
    whether they have drivers ready.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jun 21, 2005
  10. That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
    getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out of
    the box. And you will have better inventory knowledge of the devices that
    will certainly work with the system, so if something goes bad just go buy
    another from manufacturer or get a replacement from the OEM.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  11. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:

    > That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
    > getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out of
    > the box.

    Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box. But
    then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other hardware
    and the search for drivers begins again.....

    A HCL would be nice.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 21, 2005
  12. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
    install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
    work.

    John Barnes, Jun 22, 2005
  13. wewa

    Jed Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:08:50 -0700, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >"David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in message
    >> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:
    >>
    >>> That is definitely great advice when it comes to x64, you are assured you
    >>> getting the best experience, and you are guranteed thing just works out
    >>> of
    >>> the box.

    >> Well, the things on the motherboard should work right out of the box. But
    >> then the purchaser goes home and adds his printer, scanner and other
    >> hardware
    >> and the search for drivers begins again.....
    >>
    >> A HCL would be nice.
    >>

    >> --
    >> David R. Norton MVP
    >> <>

    >And then they try to install their programs and find that half don't
    >install, crash the system when installing or only part of their functions
    >work.

    Did you do any research prior to deciding to become an early adopter
    of a new operating system? I'm surprised at your surprise that certain
    drivers are unavailable and that certain apps don't install or
    function under x64. The subject was certainly discussed enough prior
    to the release in this forum and elsewhere. I'm also suprised at the
    frequency with which you complain to the choir who already know that
    certain apps don't work and some drivers are unavailable.

    I was deciding which machine to build as my next project about 2
    months ago when I became intrigued with building a 64-bit PC. I did a
    bit of research including reading this newsgroup and a number of
    64-bit related websites and was under no misconception about what I
    was getting myself into by going with x64. I knew beforehand that some
    programs/hardware I might want to use might be unavailable for awhile.
    I also knew that it would be unwise to make the x64 machine the
    primary machine for critical apps until they were proven to work
    reliably.

    Nevertheless, I decided that it would be fun and a learning experience
    to test out a relatively new operating system that had a lot of
    potential.

    So far, save for a few minor utilities and games, everything I've
    tried to install has worked under x64. Some things don't work, but I
    was prepared for that.

    I recall having to replace some equipment and wait for some drivers
    when I upgraded to XP Pro. XP Pro to x64 hasn't felt that much
    different a process to me. Certainly nothing to get upset about.

    All that said, I think the unofficial HCL for x64 would be useful.
    Jed, Jun 22, 2005
  14. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm not complaining or surprised, and I certainly didn't expect much that
    hasn't worked to work. I, like others here, advise those who seem to be
    thinking of adopting x64, without doing the research you did, that they
    should consider the test version and dual booting before they take the
    plunge. I was in the beta program (and beta newsgroup until it closed)
    though I didn't update to the final beta, and pretty much knew what would
    work. I am, in fact happy that I have been able to get my hardware, except
    the scanner, and modem (which I replaced with one recommended here) and have
    been trying to get others to try already installed printer drivers so they
    don't get frustrated. Unfortunately, obviously, a lot of folks give up
    because they have no easy instructions on how to install the driver and
    direct the printing to the USB port that the printer is connected to. The
    system has a better chance of succeeding if people know what the challenges
    will be before they cancel their x86 license without a clue. Sorry that
    seems to bother you, but there is always blocking. My biggest disappointment
    is that I cannot get my work programs to work on x64 so have to spend most
    of my time on x86. Incidentally, I bought the OEM version the first day it
    was available from Directron and kept my x86 license.

    Cheerio..

    John Barnes, Jun 22, 2005
  15. Anybody who knows about x64 should know what they are getting themselves
    into, this product is not well publicized by Microsoft to make it something
    you buy because of its publicity.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 22, 2005
  16. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    My guess is that when the driver specs are out for Longhorn 64-bit and if
    they are relatively similar to the x64 drivers necessary, a lot more
    hardware vendors will start the driver coding. With little current demand
    why should they risk having two major driver rewrites. You can interpret
    Microsoft's decision not to release a 64-bit Retail version as 1. They
    don't want the confusion with customers buying it not realising it won't
    install on the 32-bit systems, or 2. They realise there isn't enough
    support software/hardware and don't want retail customers calling their
    support department every time there is something that doesn't work.
    As far as I can see there isn't even an official label that designates
    compatible hardware/software (ie XP64) Until Microsoft designates one or
    publishes lists of compatible products, everything one buys is a gamble.
    You can't return the opened software that doesn't work, and that could get
    expensive. Hardware you will usually have a 15% or larger re-stocking fee
    if you can't find drivers.

    John Barnes, Jun 22, 2005
  17. Chris Jones said Longhorn x64 will support XP Pro x64 drivers, so I don't
    see how Longhorn x64 is gonna work out if we are not getting a good flow of
    drivers now.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 22, 2005
  18. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks, I didn't see that. Should get things flowing. I hope Microsoft
    decides to sell a Retail version (though doubt it). Someone has to have
    confidence in desktop user support(for volume), and for now you don't see it
    in companies like Dell an HP which ship virtually all 64-bit computers with
    x86 and I haven't heard any having their own Technology Advancement program.
    Have you?

    John Barnes, Jun 22, 2005
  19. wewa

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    John, keep in mind, however, that MS is planning to deliver Longhorn in 32
    bit AND 64 bit.

    By that time though, there will be a lot more drivers available for 64 bit,
    BUT, thre still may be some compatibility issues with existing 32 bit and 64
    bit drivers going from XP to Longhorn just as there was going from 98 to
    2000 and in some cases from 98 or 2000 to XP.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 22, 2005
  20. wewa

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I think the only time we'll see a retail version of 64 bit OS from MS will
    be with Longhorn. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel