    Thanks,
    --

    -Bill
    Bill Mazlar, Sep 11, 2004

  2. In article <2004091102242616807%cookyourspam@yourhome>,
    Bill Mazlar <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
    > 10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
    > aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
    > files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
    > software packages before I can start to compile?
    >
    > The software I'm trying to compile is for a class I'm taking. Details
    > in the url:
    > http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html
    >
    > Thanks,

    You may have to customize the installation files and perhaps the
    sources. MacOS X is closest to BSD's APIs but none of the ports they
    have match that API. If this is important to you, you'll have to port
    this package to MacOS X.

    If you've done porting projects before, great. If you're more of a
    Solid State Physicist, I'd buy a system this package runs on instead of
    porting it. But, you're time is your own.

    Michael Vilain, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Bill Mazlar

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:24:26 GMT, Bill Mazlar wrote:

    x-post with no followup set trimmed to 24HSHD from
    comp.sys.mac.system, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.sys.mac.advocacy,
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
    >10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
    >aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
    >files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other

    Always, depends if you have an IBM(aix), Silicon Graphics(sgi) or Sun
    hardware. Try the general Linux distro but first try the Linux exe to
    see if it even runs.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Bill Mazlar

    Parko Guest

    Parko, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Bill Mazlar

    why? Guest

    why?, Sep 11, 2004
  6. Bill Mazlar

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000, Parko
    wrote this:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
    >
    >> try the Linux exe

    AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
    http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html
    Normally Linux doesn't use file extensions.
    Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?

    --
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    KDE 3.3.0
    sqool, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Bill Mazlar

    Bill Mazlar Guest

    Apparently I couldn't execute the linux port (or any of the others) in
    my Terminal or X11, getting the following message:

    -bash: /Users/myusername/Desktop/sss/linuxbin/drude: cannot execute binary file
    logout
    [Process completed]

    How do I recompile a linux on my Mac OS X to make it work? I heard
    that I might need something called 'gcc'...this could be complete
    horseshit so does any one know for sure?

    Thanks!

    Bill Mazlar, Sep 11, 2004
  8. Bill Mazlar

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:41:48 +0000, Bill
    Mazlar wrote this:

    > Apparently I couldn't execute the linux port (or any of the others) in my
    > Terminal or X11, getting the following message:
    >
    > -bash: /Users/myusername/Desktop/sss/linuxbin/drude: cannot execute binary
    > file logout
    > [Process completed]
    >
    > How do I recompile a linux on my Mac OS X to make it work? I heard that I
    > might need something called 'gcc'...this could be complete horseshit so
    > does any one know for sure?
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you want to recompile a linux distro from scratch, you'll need it &
    this is the homepage. http://gcc.gnu.org/

    This may help -
    http://ppc.linux.or.jp/~aoshimak/install.html

    OTOH if you want a linux distribution to download & install on a PPC,
    there is
    Yellowdog - http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ydl_home.shtml
    Mandrake - http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppc.php3
    & this other - http://cruxppc.sunsite.dk/

    Some information about porting linux to Apple -
    http://www.mklinux.org/
    http://penguinppc.org/
    http://www.desertsol.com/~kevin/ppc/

    sqool, Sep 11, 2004
  9. Bill Mazlar

    sqool Guest

    sqool, Sep 11, 2004
  10. Bill Mazlar

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:26:48 +0100, sqool wrote:

    >It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000, Parko
    >wrote this:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
    >>
    >>> try the Linux exe

    You seem to be replying to my text quoted in the Parko post, and not my
    post directly. It's a bit confusing.

    >AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
    >http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html
    >Normally Linux doesn't use file extensions.
    >Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?

    See the link in the OP post.
    http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html

    Unix
    If you wish only the executable files, choose the appropriate one of:
    executable linux (6.7 MB)

    Which links to a file
    http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download/sep2002/linuxexe_new.tar.gz

    why?, Sep 11, 2004
  11. Bill Mazlar

    cayenne Guest

    Bill Mazlar <> wrote in message news:<2004091102242616807%cookyourspam@yourhome>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
    > 10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
    > aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
    > files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
    > software packages before I can start to compile?
    >
    > The software I'm trying to compile is for a class I'm taking. Details
    > in the url:
    > http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html
    >
    > Thanks,

    You might do better with a dual boot system. I just installed Gentoo
    Linux on mine. It is a great distro, easy package managemen (for
    installing applications...figures out the dependencies for you)...and
    great forums for help).

    Take a look at these:

    Gentoo PPC FAQ
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml

    Gentoo PPC Install guide
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml

    And Gentoo Forums (PPC section near bottom of page)
    http://forums.gentoo.org

    This works for me...a few gotchas here and there...but, search the
    forums...and if you can't find...just post a question. They're a good
    group over there and very patient with noob questions.

    HTH,

    chilecayenne
    cayenne, Sep 11, 2004
  12. Bill Mazlar

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:15:45 +0000, why?
    wrote this:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:26:48 +0100, sqool wrote:
    >
    >>It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000, Parko
    >>wrote this:

    > You seem to be replying to my text quoted in the Parko post, and not my
    > post directly. It's a bit confusing.

    Yes, I was asking Parko if he'd seen a "linux exe".
    I didn't see the OP's original post, but in your reply, he asked -
    "I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac..."
    He can either have a UNIX distribution, or a linux one. Strictly speaking
    a UNIX distribution would be something like FreeBSD, (derived from BSD,
    the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley)
    or OpenBSD. For a linux one to install on a Mac he'd need YellowdogPPC, or
    similar linux distributions *specifically* for a Mac. If he means he's
    just trying to get a *linux* distribution to compile on his Mac, it
    *should* be termed GNU/linux.

    >>AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
    >>http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html Normally Linux
    >>doesn't use file extensions. Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?

    > See the link in the OP post.
    > http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html

    These are just *applications* for "The Solid State Simulation (SSS)
    Project" They are *not* linux distributions!
    http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/sss.html

    > Unix
    > If you wish only the executable files, choose the appropriate one of:
    > executable linux (6.7 MB)
    >
    > Which links to a file
    > http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download/sep2002/linuxexe_new.tar.gz

    September 2002, that 2 years out of date.
    On the main homepage, it has "Trouble installing SSS on a linux system?"
    So he should *already* have a linux distribution installed.

    sqool, Sep 12, 2004
  13. Bill Mazlar

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:41:48 +0000, Bill Mazlar wrote:

    > How do I recompile a linux on my Mac OS X to make it work? I heard
    > that I might need something called 'gcc'...this could be complete
    > horseshit so does any one know for sure?

    I haven't used a Mac regularly for at least six years, but Mac OSX and
    Linux OSs have the same Unix heritage so I suppose its possible. GCC is
    the Gnome Compiler, which will prepare the software for installation on
    your system. Unpack the archive and read carefully any text files. These
    will give you pointers to the installation.

    http://gcc.gnu.org/

    You could also try installing MandrakeLinux as a complete OS on your Mac
    and dual booting. This isn't hard and will take about 30-40 minutes on a
    reasonably new Mac. You'll be able to run SSS natively in Linux and will
    score a shitload of software that you would otherwise have to pay for

    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/products/2417&wslang=en

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Sep 12, 2004
  14. Bill Mazlar

    Parko Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:07:50 +0100, sqool wrote:

    > Yes, I was asking Parko if he'd seen a "linux exe".

    Sorry to butt in. Executable files in Linux can be .rpm, .deb, sh,
    ..txt in the case of scripts, etcetera. The .exe file suffix is unique to
    Win32 systems. On a Linux box .exe, .vbs and the other Windows executables
    just won't run, and no, I have never seen a <linux>.exe

    Parko, Sep 12, 2004
  15. Bill Mazlar

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:57:29 +0000, Parko
    wrote this:

    > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:07:50 +0100, sqool wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I was asking Parko if he'd seen a "linux exe".

    > Sorry to butt in. Executable files in Linux can be .rpm, .deb, sh, .txt in
    > the case of scripts, etcetera.

    Yes, I know :)

    > The .exe file suffix is unique to Win32 systems. On a Linux box .exe,
    > .vbs and the other Windows executables just won't run, and no, I have
    > never seen a <linux>.exe

    Nor I.

    sqool, Sep 12, 2004
  16. Bill Mazlar

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Parko <> wrote in

    > Sorry to butt in. Executable files in Linux can be .rpm, .deb, sh,
    > .txt in the case of scripts, etcetera. The .exe file suffix is unique
    > to Win32 systems. On a Linux box .exe, .vbs and the other Windows
    > executables just won't run, and no, I have never seen a <linux>.exe

    Executable files are not any extension under Linux, they are any file that
    is chmod'd to be executable.
    Jim Berwick, Sep 12, 2004
  17. Bill Mazlar

    Acid Pooh Guest

    (cayenne) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Bill Mazlar <> wrote in message news:<2004091102242616807%cookyourspam@yourhome>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
    > > 10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
    > > aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
    > > files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
    > > software packages before I can start to compile?
    > >
    > > The software I'm trying to compile is for a class I'm taking. Details
    > > in the url:
    > > http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    > You might do better with a dual boot system. I just installed Gentoo
    > Linux on mine. It is a great distro, easy package managemen (for
    > installing applications...figures out the dependencies for you)...and
    > great forums for help).
    >
    > Take a look at these:
    >
    > Gentoo PPC FAQ
    > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml
    >
    > Gentoo PPC Install guide
    > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml
    >
    > And Gentoo Forums (PPC section near bottom of page)
    > http://forums.gentoo.org
    >
    > This works for me...a few gotchas here and there...but, search the
    > forums...and if you can't find...just post a question. They're a good
    > group over there and very patient with noob questions.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > chilecayenne

    Gentoo is a nice distro, but compiling all that software yourself
    could get to be a pain in the butt. I would recommend a dual-boot
    debian install if you don't need to optimize absolutely everything.

    'cid 'ooh
    Acid Pooh, Sep 14, 2004
  18. Bill Mazlar

    Rex Ballard Guest

    Bill Mazlar <> wrote in message news:<2004091102242616807%cookyourspam@yourhome>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
    > 10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
    > aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
    > files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
    > software packages before I can start to compile?
    >
    > The software I'm trying to compile is for a class I'm taking. Details
    > in the url:
    > http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html
    >
    > Thanks,

    To compile the apps as Linux you will need to have gcc and g++ first,
    then the glibc libraries, then you can build the other apps from
    there.

    The main trick is getting the dependencies built in the right order.
    First build the compilers, then the libraries, then the languages,
    then the applications.

    You might want to check out
    http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/07/26/os_tools.html
    You need X11
    http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/X11/
    http://www.macnn.com/news/25335

    The "Tiger" release has much better support for Open Source.
    as well.

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=311
    Rex Ballard, Sep 14, 2004
  19. Bill Mazlar

    Robert Guest

    Bill Mazlar <> wrote in message news:<2004091102242616807%cookyourspam@yourhome>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
    > 10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
    > aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
    > files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
    > software packages before I can start to compile?

    Are you sure you got the right download?

    There are several downloads on the page. The options linux, aix4,
    sgi, and sun all come from the windows section. The mac section which
    is above the windows sections has:

    Macintosh

    You will need Stuffit Expander, available for free from Aladdin, to
    download the Macintosh files. You may download either the executable
    files (7 MB) (all you need to run the programs), or the full set of
    files (12.7 MB), including the source code, if you wish to modify the
    programs and recompile.

    The new version of the SSS contains a minor bug for the Macintosh: if
    the screen resolution is changed manually, the animation programs slow
    down by about a factor of two. Normal speed is easily restored: click
    on the "display" window a second time to bring down its menu. Then
    click anywhere.

    You would need to install the developer tools. I believe you can
    either install from an optional cd or download the files.

    Robert
    Robert, Sep 14, 2004
  20. Bill Mazlar

    Kurt L Guest

    (Rex Ballard) wrote in message news:<>...
    > To compile the apps as Linux you will need to have gcc and g++ first,
    > then the glibc libraries, then you can build the other apps from
    > there.
    >
    > The main trick is getting the dependencies built in the right order.
    > First build the compilers, then the libraries, then the languages,
    > then the applications.
    >
    > You might want to check out
    > http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/07/26/os_tools.html
    > You need X11
    > http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/X11/
    > http://www.macnn.com/news/25335
    >
    > The "Tiger" release has much better support for Open Source.
    > as well.
    >
    > http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=311

    If you would like to have a reference you can hold in your hand that
    tells you how to get most of this stuff set up, I can recommend the
    O'Reilly book "Mac OS X Panther for Unix Geeks." Even if you're not
    an experienced unix geek, the language is pretty clear for getting
    stuff set up, even for non-geeks. Fry's recently had these books on
    their sale table for $20, with a $20 rebate... perhaps you may find
    similar.

    Kurt L.
    Kurt L, Sep 14, 2004