    <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-316739.html>.

    Don't you just love a standards-based world? Where you can choose your
    software based on how it fits your needs, not because you're forced to?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 1, 2009

  2. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> As MSIE's market share crumbles, it isn't just Firefox picking up the
    >> gains <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-316739.html>.
    >>
    >> Don't you just love a standards-based world? Where you can choose your
    >> software based on how it fits your needs, not because you're forced
    >> to?

    >That's been the situation for years. MS must be doing something right.

    ... like ... um ... breaking perfectly good standards ? Some of the least
    compliant sites are the MS ones. Doesn't sound clever or helpful to me. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 1, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message news:4a4aeffe$0$1059$4all.se...
    > In article <>, "geoff"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> As MSIE's market share crumbles, it isn't just Firefox picking up
    >>> the
    >>> gains <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-316739.html>.
    >>>
    >>> Don't you just love a standards-based world? Where you can choose
    >>> your
    >>> software based on how it fits your needs, not because you're
    >>> forced
    >>> to?

    >>That's been the situation for years. MS must be doing something
    >>right.

    > .. like ... um ... breaking perfectly good standards ? Some of the
    > least
    > compliant sites are the MS ones. Doesn't sound clever or helpful to
    > me. :)

    True, but isn't that the essence of competition?

    Neither you nor I are compelled to go to, or use any website that
    doesn't comply with whatever standards we approve of.

    Personally, I quite like some of what MS does (not everything
    certainly, but some things).

    Therefore, I will visit and implicitly (if not explicitly) support
    them by using some of those websites.

    People who don't like what they are doing will, presumably, boycott
    those sites.

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).

    Alan, Jul 1, 2009
  4. In message <>, whoisthis wrote:

    > Why, its called progress otherwise would would have stopped at POP2
    > rather than POP3, IMAP, etc etc, same with HTML....

    > Standards can impede progress.

    Since when was POP2 or IMAP pre-v4 a standard? Or indeed, any version of
    HTML prior to about v3.2?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 1, 2009
  5. In article <h2f416$gfq$>, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >wrote in message news:4a4aeffe$0$1059$4all.se...
    >> In article <>, "geoff"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>That's been the situation for years. MS must be doing something
    >>>right.

    >> .. like ... um ... breaking perfectly good standards ? Some of the
    >> least
    >> compliant sites are the MS ones. Doesn't sound clever or helpful to
    >> me. :)

    >True, but isn't that the essence of competition?

    The essence of competition to me is to find new and better ways to do
    things. Taking an agreed standard and breking it (on purpose) does not you
    will notice, feature in my definition. :)

    >Neither you nor I are compelled to go to, or use any website that
    >doesn't comply with whatever standards we approve of.

    Yep. But the purpose of standards of all sorts is to allow us to do that if
    we want to.

    >Personally, I quite like some of what MS does (not everything
    >certainly, but some things).

    I can come up with a (very) short list of things I think they do well :)

    >Therefore, I will visit and implicitly (if not explicitly) support
    >them by using some of those websites.
    >People who don't like what they are doing will, presumably, boycott
    >those sites.

    Not boycott exactly. Report the site as broken and move on would be my take
    on it. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 1, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message news:4a4bf643$0$1056$4all.se...

    {Snip}

    >>Therefore, I will visit and implicitly (if not explicitly) support
    >>them by using some of those websites.
    >>People who don't like what they are doing will, presumably, boycott
    >>those sites.

    > Not boycott exactly. Report the site as broken and move on would be
    > my take
    > on it. :)

    Absolutely - they lose your business, and in doing so, you 'vote'
    against their way of doing things, compared to their competition
    (whoever that may be including the 'free' options).

    Everyone else does the same, and the winner(s) are those that
    persuaded sufficient people.

    Doesn't mean we get the best 'technical' outcome (BetaMax??) but it is
    what people have freely chosen.

    Alan, Jul 2, 2009
  7. In article <h2h6ju$d2s$>, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >wrote in message news:4a4bf643$0$1056$4all.se...
    >
    >{Snip}

    >>>Therefore, I will visit and implicitly (if not explicitly) support
    >>>them by using some of those websites.
    >>>People who don't like what they are doing will, presumably, boycott
    >>>those sites.

    >> Not boycott exactly. Report the site as broken and move on would be
    >> my take
    >> on it. :)
    >>

    >Absolutely - they lose your business, and in doing so, you 'vote'
    >against their way of doing things, compared to their competition
    >(whoever that may be including the 'free' options).
    >Everyone else does the same, and the winner(s) are those that
    >persuaded sufficient people.
    >Doesn't mean we get the best 'technical' outcome (BetaMax??) but it is
    >what people have freely chosen.

    Ah ... I am glad you recognise that popular <> right ... or clever. For
    details, observe any government. Marketing tends to trump clever every
    time. :)

    So you are suggesting then that competition gives a 'popular' "solution" to
    the market ... yes. As I always thought ... there is nothing that can't be
    done better by cooperation. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 2, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message news:4a4c3e48$0$1058$4all.se...
    > In article <h2h6ju$d2s$>, "Alan"
    > <> wrote:
    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >>wrote in message
    >>
    >>{Snip}

    >>> Not boycott exactly. Report the site as broken and move on would
    >>> be
    >>> my take
    >>> on it. :)
    >>>

    >>Absolutely - they lose your business, and in doing so, you 'vote'
    >>against their way of doing things, compared to their competition
    >>(whoever that may be including the 'free' options).
    >>Everyone else does the same, and the winner(s) are those that
    >>persuaded sufficient people.
    >>Doesn't mean we get the best 'technical' outcome (BetaMax??) but it
    >>is
    >>what people have freely chosen.

    > Ah ... I am glad you recognise that popular <> right ... or clever.
    > For
    > details, observe any government. Marketing tends to trump clever
    > every
    > time. :)
    >
    > So you are suggesting then that competition gives a 'popular'
    > "solution" to
    > the market ... yes. As I always thought ... there is nothing that
    > can't be
    > done better by cooperation. :)

    You're probably right.

    All that remains to be seen is whether you can get sufficient numbers
    of other to agree with you.

    In some cases of course, sufficient numbers might be just one person.

    Alan, Jul 2, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:4a4c3e48$0$1058$4all.se...
    > Ah ... I am glad you recognise that popular <> right

    !=

    :p

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 2, 2009
  10. In article <h2hmc0$ibq$-september.org>, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:4a4c3e48$0$1058$4all.se...
    >> Ah ... I am glad you recognise that popular <> right

    >!=

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 6, 2009
  11. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Don't you mean "=="?

    You mean the opposite of "!=="? I think he was talking about the opposite of
    "!=". :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2009