Competition Heats Up....

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Q, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. Patrick Q

    Patrick Q Guest

    I posted this on the tail end of a subject, when it really needed its own
    heading....

    I was looking at my competitions' websites the other day and found that one
    of them had "customer quotations" on it....and they were bashing me and my
    service.... I'm NOT saying I'm perfect, know all the answers or have never
    given a refund....but, how do you handle it when your competition bashes you
    on their websites with
    "customer quotes" like....

    "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for free."

    "I took my computer to Company XYZ and they couldn't fix it, but you guys
    did at a very reasonable rate."

    If they were general comments, I wouldn't care.... BUT, When they name me by
    name (Company XYZ) I get a bit pissy.

    Thanks!

    Patrick Q....

    --
    ---
    Patrick Palmer

    www.thecomputerguy.bz
    Patrick Q, Feb 12, 2007

  2. "Patrick Q" <> wrote in message
    >I posted this on the tail end of a subject, when it really needed its own
    >heading....
    >
    > I was looking at my competitions' websites the other day and found that
    > one of them had "customer quotations" on it....and they were bashing me
    > and my service.... I'm NOT saying I'm perfect, know all the answers or
    > have never given a refund....but, how do you handle it when your
    > competition bashes you on their websites with
    > "customer quotes" like....
    >
    > "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for
    > free."
    >
    > "I took my computer to Company XYZ and they couldn't fix it, but you guys
    > did at a very reasonable rate."
    >
    > If they were general comments, I wouldn't care.... BUT, When they name me
    > by
    > name (Company XYZ) I get a bit pissy.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Patrick Q....

    I'm not sure about the law regarding this to be honest. I know I'd be pissed
    off too. I'm not sure If It could be considered liable or not. I'd look
    around for free or cheap legal advice and ask. If they say yes I'm sure the
    threat of a lawsuit would bring down those quotes real quick on that site.
    Dusty Steenbock, Feb 12, 2007

  3. Patrick Q

    smackedass Guest

    .....but, how do you handle it when your competition bashes you
    > on their websites with
    > "customer quotes" like....
    >
    > "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for
    > free."

    That is LOW, very bad form. All that I can say is that I'd summon my own
    faith in karma, and know that anyone that conducts themselves in such a
    manner had better sleep with one eye open.

    That's the Eastern equivalent. Here in the west, we're more familiar with,
    "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". And I believe that anyone
    in business for themselves is in a glass house.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Patrick Q

    Glenn Guest

    Apparently your business is hurting them or they wouldn't go after you
    like that. Ignore them. I don't do business with those that bad mouth
    the compitition. Usually it's their poor service (and attitude) that got
    them in trouble in the first place. Just be glad that you're bothering
    them enough that they notice you.

    Glenn, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Patrick Q

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 12, 3:25 am, "Patrick Q" <> wrote:
    > I posted this on the tail end of a subject, when it really needed its own
    > heading....
    >
    > I was looking at my competitions' websites the other day and found that one
    > of them had "customer quotations" on it....and they were bashing me and my
    > service.... I'm NOT saying I'm perfect, know all the answers or have never
    > given a refund....but, how do you handle it when your competition bashes you
    > on their websites with
    > "customer quotes" like....
    >
    > "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for free."
    >
    > "I took my computer to Company XYZ and they couldn't fix it, but you guys
    > did at a very reasonable rate."
    >
    > If they were general comments, I wouldn't care.... BUT, When they name me by
    > name (Company XYZ) I get a bit pissy.

    If the claims are true or just missing key facts, there isn't much you
    can do about it. If you develop a reputation as a guy who does good
    work at a fair price, knows his stuff, is easy to talk to, and treats
    customers with respect...I wouldn't worry too much.

    OTOH, once that competitor posts a lie it's time to pay a lawyer a few
    bucks to send a letter. Often that's all it takes. And above all else,
    don't retaliate in kind. Talking bad about your competitor never works
    in the long run, unless your competitor is a scum-sucking thief. And
    even then, the market will figure that out by itself.

    -John O
    JohnO, Feb 12, 2007
  6. Patrick Q

    Patrick Q Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 12, 3:25 am, "Patrick Q" <> wrote:
    >> I posted this on the tail end of a subject, when it really needed its own
    >> heading....
    >>
    >> I was looking at my competitions' websites the other day and found that
    >> one
    >> of them had "customer quotations" on it....and they were bashing me and
    >> my
    >> service.... I'm NOT saying I'm perfect, know all the answers or have
    >> never
    >> given a refund....but, how do you handle it when your competition bashes
    >> you
    >> on their websites with
    >> "customer quotes" like....
    >>
    >> "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for
    >> free."
    >>
    >> "I took my computer to Company XYZ and they couldn't fix it, but you guys
    >> did at a very reasonable rate."
    >>
    >> If they were general comments, I wouldn't care.... BUT, When they name me
    >> by
    >> name (Company XYZ) I get a bit pissy.
    >>

    > If the claims are true or just missing key facts, there isn't much you
    > can do about it. If you develop a reputation as a guy who does good
    > work at a fair price, knows his stuff, is easy to talk to, and treats
    > customers with respect...I wouldn't worry too much.
    >
    > OTOH, once that competitor posts a lie it's time to pay a lawyer a few
    > bucks to send a letter. Often that's all it takes. And above all else,
    > don't retaliate in kind. Talking bad about your competitor never works
    > in the long run, unless your competitor is a scum-sucking thief. And
    > even then, the market will figure that out by itself.
    >
    > -John O

    I appreciate all of your ideas.... no, I am not going to stoop to his level,
    but I did leave a quote of my own.

    I submitted the following quote on his page the other day.....

    That's Too Bad:
    "Geez, I thought you were better than that, Joel. You don't need to trash me
    to make yourself look good. I've sent a lot of dial up and wireless business
    your way for you to leave these posts on line like this. I'm sorry if I have
    stepped on your toes or have threatened you in any way by being in business.
    In fact, several of your business customers have wanted me to do work for
    them and I have refused, since they are your customers. I would NEVER let
    anyone post anything like that about your business on my website and if they
    did, I would take it down immediately. My best to you. Pat Palmer The
    Computer Guy"

    February 08, 2007 by The Computer Guy in Hampton, IA

    EXCELLENT SERVICE:
    "Computer Guy didn't have a clue. Iowa Connect fixed it right away.
    WONDERFUL SERVICE. REASONABLE RATES."

    December 14, 2006 by Anonymous

    EXCELLENT SERVICE:

    "Wonderful service. Fixed what the Computer Guy couldn't. FREE"

    December 14, 2006 by Anonymous in Hampton, IA
    Patrick Q, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Patrick Q

    Patrick Q Guest

    "Patrick Q" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > business your way for you to leave these posts on line like this. I'm
    > sorry if I have stepped on your toes or have threatened you in any way by
    > being in business. In fact, several of your business customers have wanted
    > me to do work for them and I have refused, since they are your customers.
    > I would NEVER let anyone post anything like that about your business on my
    > website and if they did, I would take it down immediately. My best to you.
    > Pat Palmer The Computer Guy"
    >
    > February 08, 2007 by The Computer Guy in Hampton, IA
    >
    > EXCELLENT SERVICE:
    > "Computer Guy didn't have a clue. Iowa Connect fixed it right away.
    > WONDERFUL SERVICE. REASONABLE RATES."
    >
    > December 14, 2006 by Anonymous
    >
    > EXCELLENT SERVICE:
    >
    > "Wonderful service. Fixed what the Computer Guy couldn't. FREE"
    >
    > December 14, 2006 by Anonymous in Hampton, IA

    As of 2/13/07 - The posts have been removed.

    I do appreciate your support. No one deserves to be trashed, we can do it
    ourselves if we aren't careful.

    :)

    Patrick
    Patrick Q, Feb 13, 2007
  8. Patrick Q

    M Guest

    "Patrick Q" <> wrote in message
    >I posted this on the tail end of a subject, when it really needed its own
    >heading....
    >
    > I was looking at my competitions' websites the other day and found that
    > one of them had "customer quotations" on it....and they were bashing me
    > and my service.... I'm NOT saying I'm perfect, know all the answers or
    > have never given a refund....but, how do you handle it when your
    > competition bashes you on their websites with
    > "customer quotes" like....
    >
    > "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for
    > free."
    >
    > "I took my computer to Company XYZ and they couldn't fix it, but you guys
    > did at a very reasonable rate."
    >
    > If they were general comments, I wouldn't care.... BUT, When they name me
    > by
    > name (Company XYZ) I get a bit pissy.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Patrick Q....
    >

    > --
    > ---
    > Patrick Palmer
    > "The Computer Guy"
    > H- 641-456-4268
    > C- 641-420-1234
    >
    > www.thecomputerguy.bz

    This is obviously sour grapes and their is no reason why you should not say
    so on your website. In fact
    http://www.richersounds.com/informa...tus_faqs&SID=8d82d6693e5caf86d492e598cb7ab01e
    does just that
    '...We quite frequently hear of our competitors (who are naturally
    frustrated at our prices) telling customers that the only reason we are so
    cheap is that all our goods are either seconds, returns, stolen,
    counterfeit, second-hand etc... '
    It works for them. You should consider putting something similar on yours!
    M, Feb 17, 2007
  9. Patrick Q

    CertGuard Guest

    Patrick, I hope you don't mind me throwing in my 2¢. Being that I've not
    used your services, or the services of the other guy I hope you appreciate
    an 'outsiders' opinion on the matter.

    #1, There is no such thing as 'Bad Publicity'. By them publicizing your
    information on their site, they are essentially putting your name out there
    to people that haven't heard it before. Think of it as free advertising. ;)

    #2, You're not going to please everyone, there is no possible way. You're
    going to get bad reviews along with the good, it's a fact of life. Take it
    as a step in the forward direction. There's no reason to let it bother you.

    #3, Since the comments are (supposedly) the opinions of other people, the
    site cannot be sued for Libel. Now, if you could PROVE that they
    deliberately added those comments themselves you may have a case, but
    everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

    HTH and Good Luck

    --
    CertGuard

    CertGuard, Feb 23, 2007
  10. Patrick Q

    Patrick Q Guest

    "CertGuard" <CertGuard - The Stronghold for Excellence in IT Certification>
    wrote in message news:...
    > Patrick, I hope you don't mind me throwing in my 2¢. Being that I've not
    > used your services, or the services of the other guy I hope you appreciate
    > an 'outsiders' opinion on the matter.
    >
    > #1, There is no such thing as 'Bad Publicity'. By them publicizing your
    > information on their site, they are essentially putting your name out
    > there to people that haven't heard it before. Think of it as free
    > advertising. ;)
    >
    > #2, You're not going to please everyone, there is no possible way. You're
    > going to get bad reviews along with the good, it's a fact of life. Take it
    > as a step in the forward direction. There's no reason to let it bother
    > you.
    >
    > #3, Since the comments are (supposedly) the opinions of other people, the
    > site cannot be sued for Libel. Now, if you could PROVE that they
    > deliberately added those comments themselves you may have a case, but
    > everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
    >
    > HTH and Good Luck
    >
    > --
    > CertGuard
    >

    > "Patrick Q" <> wrote in message
    >>I posted this on the tail end of a subject, when it really needed its own
    >>heading....
    >>
    >> I was looking at my competitions' websites the other day and found that
    >> one of them had "customer quotations" on it....and they were bashing me
    >> and my service.... I'm NOT saying I'm perfect, know all the answers or
    >> have never given a refund....but, how do you handle it when your
    >> competition bashes you on their websites with
    >> "customer quotes" like....
    >>
    >> "Company XYZ" had no clue how to fix the problem, you guys did it for
    >> free."
    >>
    >> "I took my computer to Company XYZ and they couldn't fix it, but you guys
    >> did at a very reasonable rate."
    >>
    >> If they were general comments, I wouldn't care.... BUT, When they name me
    >> by
    >> name (Company XYZ) I get a bit pissy.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Patrick Q....
    >>

    >> --
    >> ---
    >> Patrick Palmer
    >> "The Computer Guy"
    >> H- 641-456-4268
    >> C- 641-420-1234
    >>
    >> www.thecomputerguy.bz

    Nope, no offense taken at all....there have been a few customers not happy.
    It happens.

    I e-mailed him and nicely asked that he take them down and told him that he
    would be the better person if he did....

    So, after a bit of bitching at me, he did.

    All is well.

    Pat
    Patrick Q, Feb 24, 2007
  11. Patrick Q

    CertGuard Guest

    "Patrick Q" <> wrote in message

    > Nope, no offense taken at all....there have been a few customers not
    > happy. It happens.
    >
    > I e-mailed him and nicely asked that he take them down and told him that
    > he would be the better person if he did....
    >
    > So, after a bit of bitching at me, he did.
    >
    > All is well.
    >
    > Pat

    I'm glad everything worked out for you.

    --