    of MCDST certified. Did anyone try it over? I'm curious how MCDST certified
    would affect compensation.

    greensky
    greensky, Jan 5, 2006

  2. greensky

    Lasher Guest

    "greensky" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I recently passed 70-271 and 70-272. I've been doing Helpdesk for over
    > 3 years. I'm wondering if I can ask my current employee for pay raise
    > because of MCDST certified. Did anyone try it over? I'm curious how
    > MCDST certified would affect compensation.
    >
    > greensky

    It depends on exactly what your job title entails. Did I ask for a pay
    raise? Yes. Did I get it, no. Did I find a job that pays more because
    of it, yes. But I think my situation was a little more unique than
    others. Please go into detail as to what exactly you're doing now.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010
    Lasher, Jan 5, 2006

  3. greensky

    Mel Guest

    I believe Lasher is correct.
    --
    Mel
    A+,Net+,MCP,MCDST

    Mel, Jan 5, 2006
  4. greensky

    Guest Guest

    Hi there,

    Thanks for your help. Well, I'm currently at phone-based Helpdesk position
    (title is senior helpdesk support) for over three years with the same
    employer (it's an huge organization), and I've done onsite desktop support
    in the past before joining this company for about two years. I currently do
    most of the user support by remotely connecting user's PCs. I also took A+
    last year. I wanted to prove my skills to my employer. There is another
    concern -- my company is doing a lot of downsizing since the business has
    been not going very well (I'm at a pretty safe position, though). For this
    reason, I'm pretty sure they would not like to raise my salary. I asked pay
    raise last year based on my skill and experience (before I got A+) but got
    only 3% raise as regular yearly raise. My compensation is below industry
    standard. Maybe I should look for another employer who are doing business
    well...

    Thank you in advance for your advice.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2006
  5. greensky

    Lasher Guest

    <greensky> wrote in news:#:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Thanks for your help. Well, I'm currently at phone-based Helpdesk
    > position (title is senior helpdesk support) for over three years with
    > the same employer (it's an huge organization), and I've done onsite
    > desktop support in the past before joining this company for about two
    > years. I currently do most of the user support by remotely connecting
    > user's PCs. I also took A+ last year. I wanted to prove my skills to
    > my employer. There is another concern -- my company is doing a lot of
    > downsizing since the business has been not going very well (I'm at a
    > pretty safe position, though). For this reason, I'm pretty sure they
    > would not like to raise my salary. I asked pay raise last year based
    > on my skill and experience (before I got A+) but got only 3% raise as
    > regular yearly raise. My compensation is below industry standard.
    > Maybe I should look for another employer who are doing business
    > well...
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your advice.
    >
    > greensky
    >

    >> It depends on exactly what your job title entails. Did I ask for a
    >> pay raise? Yes. Did I get it, no. Did I find a job that pays more
    >> because of it, yes. But I think my situation was a little more
    >> unique than others. Please go into detail as to what exactly you're
    >> doing now.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lasher
    >> MCNGP 110010
    >> There's no place like MCNGP!

    Asking for a raise after recieving a certification never hurts.

    But if you're the senior, then I'd go and recommend what this
    certification can do for the quality of Help Desk Support Techs that you
    have there and push the idea for the entire team even. Downsizing is
    not an issue, quality after it downsizes is. You grow, your team grows,
    and if anything, you'll know that you've made a great change in several
    people's lives.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010
    Lasher, Jan 6, 2006
  6. greensky

    Guest Guest

    > Asking for a raise after recieving a certification never hurts.
    >
    > But if you're the senior, then I'd go and recommend what this
    > certification can do for the quality of Help Desk Support Techs that you
    > have there and push the idea for the entire team even. Downsizing is
    > not an issue, quality after it downsizes is. You grow, your team grows,
    > and if anything, you'll know that you've made a great change in several
    > people's lives.
    >
    > --
    > Lasher
    > MCNGP 110010
    > There's no place like MCNGP!

    Thanks, Lasher. You encouraged me. I think you are doing really good job in
    this newsgroup!

    greensky
    Guest, Jan 7, 2006
  7. greensky

    Simon Guest

    My borther was in the same position. So he applied for another job (with
    stacks more $ and benifits (eg. 2 days from home)) and got that job. Turned
    around to his current employer and explained it to them and they matched the
    other company. A good way to go (if you can get it), never bluff this one, a
    friend tried, found he didn't have a job at all.

    Simon, Jan 16, 2006