    or Win XP? Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Mitch
    Guest, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Guest

    MCSE World Guest

    Hmm, how to put it. Very similar to 70-270 actually, but then again
    completely different. You need to know more higher level items than 70-270,
    but not too much. As for how it relates to A+, its completely different in
    its scope...

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Guest

    Chris Guest

    I have A+ and N+ and I've read the thorough prep guides
    for MCDST. MCDST will be harder than A+/N+.

    Here's the basic rundown:

    A+ = 1. covers basic hardware PC knowledge and
    troubleshooting
    2. covers brief OS knowledge--more how the OS
    interacts with the hardware than actual setup and
    troublshooting of the OS itself
    Summery: good for people supporting general Pc work
    and has little or no previous PC experience

    N+ = covers basic to moderate networking knowledge
    including more spefic knowledge of networking protocols
    and hardware much harder than A+ unless you work with
    network troubleshooting already.

    Summery: covers a lot but all pretty much basic
    networking knowledge--it's just tedious. Will be difficult
    for those not real familiar with networking hardware and
    protocols.

    MCDST = 271: advanced Windows XP troubleshooting and
    configuration. Unless you work with XP extensively
    already this might be a little diofficult. Even if you're
    a tech who knows everything about Windows you need to know
    what how Microsoft says to do things. But of course
    multiple choice makes it a lot easier if you have a good
    working knowledge of the OS alreeady.
    272: basic technical knowledge of general Windows
    desktop apps: IE, OE, Office. You won't need to know
    advanced deployment stuff or anything, but all basic
    configuration and troubleshooting stuff. Again a very good
    general working knowledge aided by the multiple choice
    will make this a LOT easier than a newbie tech. But again,
    you can be twice as good a tech as others and be able to
    configure anything quickly, but you have to know the exact
    process how Microsoft wants things to be done.

    A+/N+ will help some but will really provide little
    preparation for MCDST, so assume you are starting from
    scratch with the MCDST. 70-270 is WAY closer to 271. If
    you already passed 270 you can probably even pass 271 cold.

    A working knowledge and actual GUI procedure are two
    different things. The best tech in the world can sometime
    bomb on these certs or at least struggle a lot more than
    expected without preparation because they don't know
    the "Microsoft way" to do things.

    -- Chris K.
    Techie Peon

    Chris, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Guest

    Joe Guest

    The isn't any real comparison for the 272 exam, but for the 271 the new A+
    is very similar.

    271 drills down a bit more and the questions look pretty good from the beta.

    The new A+ (a very good exam) includes XP, but also all the windows versions
    back to 95. It is more comprehensive for a larger picture and I personally
    would prefer it if hiring for a shop that wasn't strictly XP.
    The network knowledge needed for it is similar to 271 (about 90% of the
    depth), plus it covers some other areas that are great to know. The other
    half of A+ is hardware and there is precious little of that in the DST
    exams.

    The N+ goes into much greater depth about networking and it's technologies.
    To the extent that MS used the same book for N+ and Networking Essentials,
    and Novell recognized it in lieu of their Networking Technologies exam. I
    personally feel it needs a bit more depth, but it is a good exam measuring
    real networking knowledge.

    A combination of A+, N+ and MSDST would make anyone with real skills a true
    asset to a company on the floor (or helpdesk) taking care of user's needs.

    Joe
    MCSE:Security,Messaging, MCT, A+ SME other letters available upon request

    Joe, Jan 9, 2004