    --
    Peter Pratten
    Please reply in group only
    Peter Pratten, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Peter Pratten

    Joel Guest

    Peter Pratten wrote:
    > I followed the link previously posted to
    > http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com but it didn't cover the services,
    > more the rates and those were very out of date.
    > e.g. VoipCheap to France is now free but that site says it is 10.5p
    > --
    > Peter Pratten
    > Please reply in group only

    Looks like a bug in our software to me! I will have to investigate.
    We will move to more frequent updates when we have finished writing our
    auto-update scripts.
    Meanwhile, you can try our rival site, the niftylist, at
    http://www.niftylist.co.uk
    (You could also look at discussion in their chat forum or on our google
    group.)
    Best wishes,
    Joel Feinstein
    --
    Joel Feinstein, Nottingham UK, http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com
    Joel, Nov 8, 2005

  3. In article <>, Joel
    <> writes
    >Peter Pratten wrote:
    >> I followed the link previously posted to
    >> http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com but it didn't cover the services,
    >> more the rates and those were very out of date.
    >> e.g. VoipCheap to France is now free but that site says it is 10.5p
    >> --
    >> Peter Pratten
    >> Please reply in group only

    >Looks like a bug in our software to me! I will have to investigate.
    >We will move to more frequent updates when we have finished writing our
    >auto-update scripts.

    Good idea.

    > Meanwhile, you can try our rival site, the niftylist, at
    >http://www.niftylist.co.uk

    Having a couple of rate sites is a good idea but does not cover what I
    was looking for.

    >(You could also look at discussion in their chat forum or on our google
    >group.)

    These are fine for getting updates and asking questions but take a lot
    of searching for answers which may very well be listed somewhere.
    Actually I was while trying it Internet Explorer fell over and closed
    down :-(

    What I am suggesting is a comparison table listing which providers:
    use softphone;
    use SIP phone and/or ATA;
    interconnect peer-to-peer to other networks (I assume they all do to
    their own - correct me if I'm wrong);
    require a subscription;
    provide phone out to PSTN networks;
    provide free calls to UK phones (for other countries use the lists you
    mentioned);
    charge calls by credit/debit card;
    charge calls by direct debit;
    charge calls to a deposited amount.

    You may think of a few other points. A single table kept up-to-date
    would be easier to help choose which provider is most suitable, after
    all call costs are not the only consideration.
    --
    Peter Pratten
    Please reply in group only
    Peter Pratten, Nov 9, 2005
  4. In article <D$>, Peter Pratten
    <> writes
    >Actually I was while trying it Internet Explorer fell over and closed
    >down :-(
    >
    >What I am suggesting is a comparison table listing which providers:
    >use softphone;
    >use SIP phone and/or ATA;
    >interconnect peer-to-peer to other networks (I assume they all do to
    >their own - correct me if I'm wrong);
    >require a subscription;
    >provide phone out to PSTN networks;
    >provide free calls to UK phones (for other countries use the lists you
    >mentioned);
    >charge calls by credit/debit card;
    >charge calls by direct debit;
    >charge calls to a deposited amount.
    >
    >You may think of a few other points. A single table kept up-to-date
    >would be easier to help choose which provider is most suitable, after
    >all call costs are not the only consideration.

    I forgot to include:
    provide incoming number -
    is it free or on subscription,
    is it 01/02, 05 07 or 08?