    I want to know if there was a jump in technology (processing power, memory,
    processing speed) from the 675-475 ranges.. Or if the main difference is
    just in the firmware.

    mr deo, Mar 7, 2008

  2. mr deo

    Nick Guest

    mr deo wrote:
    > Nooooo.. Not that you nasty minded people :/ ...
    >

    > Does anyone have a "Technical" comparision.. of the Gigaset S675 vs C475 IP
    > (or even some of the other 4xx variants)..http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens Gigaset S675IP
    > I want to know if there was a jump in technology (processing power, memory,
    > processing speed) from the 675-475 ranges.. Or if the main difference is
    > just in the firmware.

    A presume you mean s675ip vs s450ip. It looks as if the s675ip has an
    answer phone.

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens Gigaset S675IP

    I can't see anything particular.

    Nick, Mar 7, 2008

  3. mr deo

    mr deo Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > mr deo wrote:
    > > Nooooo.. Not that you nasty minded people :/ ...
    > >

    > > Does anyone have a "Technical" comparision.. of the Gigaset S675 vs C475

    IP
    > > (or even some of the other 4xx

    variants)..http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens Gigaset S675IP
    > > I want to know if there was a jump in technology (processing power,

    memory,
    > > processing speed) from the 675-475 ranges.. Or if the main difference is
    > > just in the firmware.
    > >

    > A presume you mean s675ip vs s450ip. It looks as if the s675ip has an
    > answer phone.
    >
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens Gigaset S675IP
    >

    > I can't see anything particular.

    Well.. I was actually meaning 475 vs 675.. as I really like the looks of
    those phones for the 475/675..
    but the 4xx range (according to one of the siemens webcast) has now been
    discontinued so the 6xx range can take over..
    Some things get worse hardware with new revisions, most things get better
    ;)..

    From the looks of it, the 475 and 675 are really similar products as far as
    features go.. But I'd like to see some good comparisions :/

    mr deo, Mar 7, 2008
  4. mr deo

    Tim Guest

    mr deo wrote:
    > Nooooo.. Not that you nasty minded people :/ ...
    >

    > Does anyone have a "Technical" comparision.. of the Gigaset S675 vs C475 IP
    > (or even some of the other 4xx variants)..

    For starters you are going to be hard pushed to get a S675. The UK
    models of next gen Siemens are going to to be S475IP and S685IP.

    S475 and S685 have exactly the same base station. Includes

    Digital answering machine (both PSTN and SIP, and you can disable if you
    wish)
    Support for G.722 hi def audio
    6 SIP accounts
    1 PSTN port
    2 SIP calls and 1 PSTN call simultaneously.

    S685 will come with a handset that can do G.722 hi def and will also do
    bluetooth on the handset.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 11, 2008
  5. mr deo

    mr deo Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > mr deo wrote:
    > > Nooooo.. Not that you nasty minded people :/ ...
    > >

    > > Does anyone have a "Technical" comparision.. of the Gigaset S675 vs C475

    IP
    > > (or even some of the other 4xx variants)..

    > For starters you are going to be hard pushed to get a S675. The UK
    > models of next gen Siemens are going to to be S475IP and S685IP.
    >
    > S475 and S685 have exactly the same base station. Includes
    >
    > Digital answering machine (both PSTN and SIP, and you can disable if you
    > wish)
    > Support for G.722 hi def audio
    > 6 SIP accounts
    > 1 PSTN port
    > 2 SIP calls and 1 PSTN call simultaneously.
    >

    > S685 will come with a handset that can do G.722 hi def and will also do
    > bluetooth on the handset.
    >

    > Tim

    Hi tim, thanks for the reply..
    Yes, the "high def" audio is something I would like, VoIP quality isnt bad,
    but some of the vocal ranges are not great so it would be nice to get
    something that can show emotions a little better ;)..
    I havent seen the S685ip listed on their website, nor any pages of theirs at
    all but I will have a dig around

    Thanks for the info

    mr deo, Mar 11, 2008
  6. In article <47d5d51c$0$516$>,
    Tim <> wrote:

    >S685 will come with a handset that can do G.722 hi def and will also do
    >bluetooth on the handset.

    But doesn't DECT specify G726 between the base and the handset? If so,
    what's the point of the base doing anything more? (And how many VoIP
    systems support G722?)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 11, 2008
  7. mr deo

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <47d5d51c$0$516$>,
    > Tim <> wrote:
    >
    >> S685 will come with a handset that can do G.722 hi def and will also do
    >> bluetooth on the handset.

    > But doesn't DECT specify G726 between the base and the handset? If so,
    > what's the point of the base doing anything more? (And how many VoIP
    > systems support G722?)
    >
    > Gordon

    Traditionally DECT uses g726 yes, but these phones are using new CAT-iq
    DECT standards which allows the use of g722.

    Not sure which service providers support it but technically it should be
    possible with Asterisk when it's not in the media path.

    It's definitely a noticeable difference. I've tested it just with a
    call between two handsets on the test phone I have.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Mar 11, 2008
  8. mr deo

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > But doesn't DECT specify G726 between the base and the handset? If so,
    > what's the point of the base doing anything more? (And how many VoIP
    > systems support G722?)

    Old DECT maybe. New Dect can have different audio codecs.

    Almost every SIP system apart from Asterisk can support G.722 for SIP to
    SIP calling.

    Asterisk has some patches for pass through, although I understand better
    support for different kind of codecs is being worked on. I am fair from
    an Asterisk expert though.

    If anybody does want to try G.722 calls, then I have a suitable SIP
    server. All Snom 3xx series phones will do it, although best on a Snom370.

    Tim

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 12, 2008
  9. mr deo

    Guest

    On Mar 11, 10:48 am, "mr deo"
    <> wrote:
    > "Tim" <> wrote in message

    > > mr deo wrote:
    > > > Nooooo.. Not that you nasty minded people :/ ...

    > > > Does anyone have a "Technical" comparision.. of the Gigaset S675 vsC475

    > IP
    > > > (or even some of the other 4xx variants)..

    > > For starters you are going to be hard pushed to get a S675.   The UK
    > > models of next gen Siemens are going to to be S475IP and S685IP.

    > > S475 and S685 have exactly the same base station.  Includes

    > > Digital answering machine (both PSTN and SIP, and you can disable if you
    > > wish)
    > > Support for G.722 hi def audio
    > > 6 SIP accounts
    > > 1 PSTN port
    > > 2 SIP calls and 1 PSTN call simultaneously.

    > > S685 will come with a handset that can do G.722 hi def and will also do
    > > bluetooth on the handset.

    > > Tim

    > Hi tim, thanks for the reply..
    > Yes, the "high def" audio is something I would like, VoIP quality isnt bad,
    > but some of the vocal ranges are not great so it would be nice to get
    > something that can show emotions a little better ;)..
    > I havent seen the S685ip listed on their website, nor any pages of theirs at
    > all but I will have a dig around
    >
    > Thanks for the info- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Tim,

    We have the S685IP available for order if you are still struggling to
    find it:

    http://www.hip-ip.com/product/voip-products/voip-dualphones/siemens-gigaset-s685-ip-dect-phone

    , Apr 27, 2008