Comparing Compact Flash Card types

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick S., Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Rick S.

    Rick S. Guest

    I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
    IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
    capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
    those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
    considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
    like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
    the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
    SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
    IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
    movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
    is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
    at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
    recovery s/w if the card fails.
    A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
    type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
    Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
    would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
    reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
    card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
    week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
    'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
    review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
    to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
    of internal recovery s/w.
    Please, talk to me!
    thanks so much,
    Rick

    Rick S., Jul 19, 2004

  2. Rick S.

    Rick Miller Guest

    The speed factor of a card is noce, but if your camera won't write at the
    high speed, it doesn't matter. It's kinda like having a car that can go
    250mph, but show me the city freeway where that is useful 9-5..... It may
    be hard to determine your camera's write speed to the CF also, but that is
    important to know if you are really going to shop around. Also, note that
    no standard exists for "12x" speed labelling. Unlike CDR where 1x is 150k/s
    (I think) and 12x is simple math, no such standard exists for CF, so note
    the actual speed, not just "12x".

    640*480 movies; have you tried a sample yet to see how impressive this
    resolution is?(NOT!) That is what my Oly 5050 uses and it is very poor!
    Stamp size video is claer, but zoom in a bit so you can see the action and
    it is so pixelated as to be unviewable.

    I have a 256mb card and it holds something like 300 seconds of movie; don't
    think I have ever used more than 20-30 seconds.... It is why I still carry
    around my DV camcorder; it kicks butt over the OLY 5050 movie mode (and
    probably every other digicam although some are rumoured to be out that do
    still & movie well).

    Good Luck,

    Rick

    Rick Miller, Jul 19, 2004

  3. "Rick S." <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
    > IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
    > capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
    > those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
    > considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
    > like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
    > the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon

    Absolutely correct. Type II cards are thicker than Type I cards. A slot
    that can take Type II cards can also take Type I cards, but a Type I
    slot CANNOT use Type II cards.

    > SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
    > IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
    > movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce

    Require means "without significant number of dropped frames".

    > is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
    > at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has internal
    > recovery s/w if the card fails.

    I doubt that the S1 IS can write more than 4MB/sec, but you should
    check the specs.

    > A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
    > type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!

    Are you also checking the prices on Type I cards? You can use them,
    after all.

    > Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
    > would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
    > reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
    > card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
    > week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The

    I'm sure the camera has a RAM write buffer as you suppose. However,
    when capturing a video, it is sure to overflow (even at the little 0.25 MP
    frame size) so the camera processor or the memory card becomes the
    bottle neck. I'd bet the camera cannot write anywhere as fast as the
    fastest CF cards. Still, check the camera specs.

    Of course, if you really want to take videos (of good quality), use a video
    camera. A cheap video camera will do a better job than an expensive
    still camera. Similarly, a cheap still camera will take better photos than
    an expensive video camera. Until the two worlds converge, choose the
    right tool for the job. }:)
    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com

    Dan Wojciechowski, Jul 19, 2004