    ....Windows and Linux

    Anyone know a good site that compares the 2 against each other?

    TIA
    Jimbob, Sep 19, 2005

  2. Jimbob

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-09-19, Jimbob <richard> wrote:
    > ...Windows and Linux
    >
    > Anyone know a good site that compares the 2 against each other?
    >
    > TIA

    Your own hard disc is probably the best place; dual boot and see what you
    think of various 'distributions' of Linux. There are 'live CD' distros
    that run from a bootable CD without installing anything on your computer.

    See <http://distrowatch.com/> for literally 100s of possibilities :))

    You might get more useful answers if you ask 'how can I <name task here>
    in Linux'? or 'What Linux programs are there that can do something similar
    to <name Windows program here>?' or 'what would be a good Linux distro for a
    beginner?' (to which my answer is 'Mandriva', but there are others whose
    names might be suggested here by their fans).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2005

  3. Jimbob

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:11:58 +0100, "Jimbob"
    <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote:

    >...Windows and Linux
    >
    >Anyone know a good site that compares the 2 against each other?

    Compare how? There are a lot of differences.

    Good for you or someone else, try

    www.google.com
    compare windows linux

    which may have several site listings, and you can pick those you prefer.

    Me
    why?, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Jimbob

    Steve B. Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2005-09-19, Jimbob <richard> wrote:
    >
    >>...Windows and Linux
    >>
    >>Anyone know a good site that compares the 2 against each other?
    >>
    >>TIA

    > Your own hard disc is probably the best place; dual boot and see what you
    > think of various 'distributions' of Linux. There are 'live CD' distros
    > that run from a bootable CD without installing anything on your computer.
    >
    > See <http://distrowatch.com/> for literally 100s of possibilities :))
    >
    > You might get more useful answers if you ask 'how can I <name task here>
    > in Linux'? or 'What Linux programs are there that can do something similar
    > to <name Windows program here>?' or 'what would be a good Linux distro for a
    > beginner?' (to which my answer is 'Mandriva', but there are others whose
    > names might be suggested here by their fans).

    I agree, Mandriva would be your best choice. It works very well, but I
    would hold off till their 2006 comes out. Buy a Pack. It's similar but
    not the same thing. :)
    Steve B., Sep 22, 2005
  5. REMOVE wrote:

    > ...Windows and Linux
    >
    > Anyone know a good site that compares the 2 against each other?

    You want to compare apples and cherries. Both are fruits, but then?
    Actually you want a live cd to try out, or some free unpartitioned space to
    install a linux distribution for dual-boot.
    Linux distributions like Mandriva and Ubuntu are easier to install than
    windows, and don't trash your windows bootloader - they even save it to
    make a uninstall possible unless you delete the linux root/boot partition
    before attempting to restore the bootloader. You will have a bunch of
    useful programs for free like office-compatible openoffice, various
    browsers including firefox, p2p software as well as a servers for web, ftp
    and more.
    You still have to consider linux isn't for a quick shot and it surely has
    it's edges and flaws, some of them caused by lack of hardware/chipset
    support from vendors.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm3[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 22, 2005