    Me.......please comments

    thank ..
    zeek.....

    Froats, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Froats wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    > installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    > Me.......please comments
    >
    > thank ..
    > zeek.....

    Why the f**k ME? Why not go to XP?

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Froats

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:48:32 -0400, Froats <>
    scribbled:

    >Hi All
    >
    >I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    >installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    >Me.......please comments

    98SE was the most stable of the 9x operating systems, by comparison
    ME is a 48 year old syphilitic whore blowing donkeys 4 shows a day.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Froats

    Cyanyde Guest

    "Froats" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    > installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    > Me.......please comments
    >
    > thank ..
    > zeek.....

    As an ex-ME user take it from me.. stick with 98..
    Is it 98se? good!
    You're Blaster-proof for starters.. not to mention the myriad of clones and
    mutations we're sure to get in the months to come..
    I recently upgraded to XP and the second I installed it, it tried to dl
    800mb of updates and patches!
    I'm thinking of going back to 98se!
    As long as it works don't fix it - Good advice.
    look at it this way, when 95 came out it took 3 years to fix all the bugs
    and glitches..
    They got it fixed and it turned into Win98, what now? Bugs and glitches!
    Now, they finally get it fixed and what comes out? WinXP!
    They're like clockwork.

    Stick with 98

    (IMHO)

    Cyanyde, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Froats

    Boomer Guest

    Froats said:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating
    > and installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's
    > against Me.......please comments
    >
    > thank ..
    > zeek.....

    Here's a bit of information.
    http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/os/windows_me/background/688/

    If your Win98 is running fine, I would not upgrade to ME.

    Boomer, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Froats

    Boomer Guest

    -= Hawk =- said:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:48:32 -0400, Froats <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >>Hi All
    >>
    >>I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating
    >>and installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's
    >>against Me.......please comments

    > 98SE was the most stable of the 9x operating systems, by
    > comparison ME is a 48 year old syphilitic whore blowing donkeys
    > 4 shows a day.

    So nicely stated. ;)

    Boomer, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Froats

    GateKeeper Guest

    Win98 SE

    GateKeeper, Sep 17, 2003
  8. Froats

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On 16 Sep 2003 23:31:40 GMT, Boomer <>
    scribbled:

    >-= Hawk =- said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:48:32 -0400, Froats <>
    >> scribbled:
    >>
    >>>Hi All
    >>>
    >>>I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating
    >>>and installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's
    >>>against Me.......please comments

    >> 98SE was the most stable of the 9x operating systems, by
    >> comparison ME is a 48 year old syphilitic whore blowing donkeys
    >> 4 shows a day.

    >So nicely stated. ;)

    I've such a way with words, don't I? :)

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 17, 2003
  9. Froats

    Hugh Lilly Guest

    Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

    > Froats wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    >> installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    >> Me.......please comments
    >>
    >> thank ..
    >> zeek.....

    > Why the f**k ME? Why not go to XP?

    Why go to something far worse (in so many ways) when what you hve is
    working? (albeit probably not well).

    -hdl
    --
    (C) 2003 Hugh Lilly
    mail:

    Hugh Lilly, Sep 17, 2003
  10. Froats

    Miggsee Guest

    I went through *h--l* with ME on a new machine, and then went back to 98.
    (Oldies here know my trials and tribulations through using ME).

    Wow! How better things were. My machine ran consistently with 98.

    Then the iso trial of XP came out, and I tried it. :))

    I now have 4 home pcs, and two away at college with my kids. I have XP (both
    Home and Pro) on almost all of them (son's laptop has Win 2000).

    Upgrading, then do it with XP..don't downgrade with ME.

    On the other hand, if you are working fine in 98, stay there!

    Miggsee, Sep 17, 2003
  11. Froats

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    >installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    >Me.......please comments
    >
    >thank ..
    >zeek.....

    I've run Win ME on 3 PCs for 2+ years - good. Others don't have that
    experience and Win ME may be "hardware sensitive" - might explain the
    disparity in experience.

    ME is better than 98 wrt slickness - tidies up 98 a lot. But no good
    if not stable with your mobo etc. I left 98SE because of unresolvable
    bad shutdown probs. Had those with Me too but resolved (changed the
    graphics card). Probably better to stick with 98 unless there are
    severe recurring probs.

    I'm trialling XP Pro at the moment - not impressed so far, I'll stick
    with Me on my main PC.

    cheers
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Froats

    Rob Guest

    ME is the absolute worst crap ever produced by microsoft.
    Stay AWAY!

    --
    Rob B
    http://www.techhowto.org

    Rob, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Froats

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    > I've run Win ME on 3 PCs for 2+ years - good. Others don't have that
    > experience and Win ME may be "hardware sensitive" - might explain the
    > disparity in experience.

    I think the issue is more that people who say it's no good are people
    that don't have a clue when it comes to proper hardware setup and PC
    maintenance. I've been running ME since pre-release and have NEVER had a
    problem with it on any system I've had or built and sold.

    > ME is better than 98 wrt slickness - tidies up 98 a lot. But no good
    > if not stable with your mobo etc. I left 98SE because of unresolvable
    > bad shutdown probs. Had those with Me too but resolved (changed the
    > graphics card). Probably better to stick with 98 unless there are
    > severe recurring probs.

    I half-agree. If there are no problems with 98 ME should be fine as well.

    > I'm trialling XP Pro at the moment - not impressed so far, I'll stick
    > with Me on my main PC.

    I agree 100% here, XP sucks at everything except business apps that are
    current.

    yugsdrawkcab, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Froats

    Bud Stein Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    > installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    > Me.......please comments

    Hello Zeek,

    After fifteen months in technical support, I would not recommend Windows
    ME over either Windows 98 or Windows XP. I would recommend Windows 98SE
    at the top of the list. I would recommend Windows 95B or Windows 95C
    before Windows ME as well. Windows ME has some nice "features" however
    it is quite unstable compared to either 98SE or XP. Some of the
    "features" are better resolved in XP (ex: system restore).

    Bud Stein

    Bud Stein, Sep 17, 2003
  15. Froats

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    >installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    >Me.......please comments

    pro's and con's against... Hmmm. Seems you've started with a negative
    there. :)

    WinME, while is works for a few people, is a real half-assed OS. You'd
    be much better moving to 2K or XP. I've entirely given up on
    supporting WinME because it's just too much of a hassle to work on
    when better options exist.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 17, 2003
  16. Froats

    Smirnoff Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > ME is the absolute worst crap ever produced by microsoft.
    > Stay AWAY!
    >

    > "Froats" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    >> installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    >> Me.......please comments
    >>
    >> thank ..
    >> zeek.....

    I've never had any trouble with ME. If you listen to some of the
    comments about ME in this thread (and many more before it) it would seem
    that that there are only three people in the world that know how to
    handle it (apparently not the techies).
    I wish that I knew enough to condemn everything that I couldn't handle.

    Smirnoff, Sep 18, 2003
  17. Froats

    Plato Guest

    Froats wrote:

    > I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    > installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against

    98 and 98SE are superior to winMe

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 19, 2003
  18. Froats

    Mangusta Guest

    I work in an Internet Helpdesk, and I have found that TCP/IP and Networking
    in windows ME is a lot more fragile...

    Regards
    Paul

    Mangusta, Sep 19, 2003
  19. Froats

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:43:14 +0000 (UTC), Smirnoff wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >> ME is the absolute worst crap ever produced by microsoft.
    >> Stay AWAY!
    >>

    >> "Froats" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi All
    >>>
    >>> I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating and
    >>> installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's against
    >>> Me.......please comments
    >>>
    >>> thank ..
    >>> zeek.....

    >I've never had any trouble with ME. If you listen to some of the
    >comments about ME in this thread (and many more before it) it would seem

    ME is so good, I have been called to a site to fix another techie mess.
    Customer had Win2000 never an issue, networked all fine, file shares ,
    printing.

    Idiot techie had ME at home so 'upgraded' 2000 to ME to get DUN working,
    constant poor performance, hangs since. Loss of critical business data
    and cannot even get files sharing working for more than 1 file before a
    crash.

    >that that there are only three people in the world that know how to
    >handle it (apparently not the techies).

    And millions manage just fine with 95, 98, NT, 2000 etc.

    >I wish that I knew enough to condemn everything that I couldn't handle.

    It doesn't work, replace/fix it simple.

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003
  20. On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:04:32 GMT, Bud Stein wrote

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >> I have windows 98 on my computer and I am thinking of formating
    >> and installing Me instead... what are the pro's and con's
    >> against Me.......please comments

    > Hello Zeek,
    >
    > After fifteen months in technical support, I would not recommend
    > Windows ME over either Windows 98 or Windows XP. I would
    > recommend Windows 98SE at the top of the list. I would recommend
    > Windows 95B or Windows 95C before Windows ME as well.

    Except that -- for me -- the alleged bolt-on USB support in Win98B
    didn't work.

    I'd stick with 98SE -- I upgraded to ME from 95B just to get working
    USB support, but whilst it did give me that, it was generally such a
    pain that I chucked it out in favour of 98SE.

    --
    Cheers, Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 19, 2003