    Best Wishes
    Bruce
    ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )
    Bruce, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Bruce wrote:
    > A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX
    > as the sound card wasn't working.
    >
    > To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS
    > ,replacing the Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound
    > card. Now the FDD will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the
    > 1.44 mgb to that, the system doesn't detect either the new or old
    > sound card. I suspect the BIOS but none of the keys seem to stale the
    > Compaq flash screen.
    >
    > Any ides how to access the BIOS.
    >
    > Best Wishes
    > Bruce
    > ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

    On most Compaq systems, hitting F10 at startup will get you into the BIOS.
    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)
    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Bruce

    S W Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message

    > A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as
    > the
    > sound card wasn't working.
    >
    > To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing
    > the
    > Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
    > will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
    > system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
    > but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.
    >
    > Any ides how to access the BIOS.
    >
    > Best Wishes
    > Bruce
    > ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

    Hit F10 when there's a flashing block cursor in the top right part of the
    screen, that should do it.

    Regards
    S W, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Bruce

    ifonly Guest

    Check on Compaq website, or watch the screen sometimes the message goes by
    quickly. Compaq always puts bios/utilities stuff on a small portion of the
    hard disk.

    ifonly, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Bruce

    doS Guest

    No they dont.

    doS, Apr 2, 2005
  6. Bruce

    Rob Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    > A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as the
    > sound card wasn't working.
    >
    > To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing the
    > Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
    > will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
    > system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
    > but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.
    >
    > Any ides how to access the BIOS.
    >
    > Best Wishes
    > Bruce
    > ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

    You get into the bios by pressing F10 when you see the square flashing
    block in the top rh corner - however on the Deskpro 2000 (which I assume
    you have) it runs the setup program from a special partition on the hdd
    - if you've deleted this it won't work. You will need to download the
    setup and diags floppys from their website.

    I guess if the fdd is broken you may have a problem though.

    Rob
    Rob, Apr 2, 2005
  7. Bruce

    Plato Guest

    doS wrote:

    > No they dont.
    >
    > > Check on Compaq website, or watch the screen sometimes the message goes by
    > > quickly. Compaq always puts bios/utilities stuff on a small portion of
    > > the
    > > hard disk.

    Sure they did on the majority of their older systems. IT was a way to
    save money on buying bios's. If for example, you zero'd the drive, you'd
    no longer have access to your bios, unless you used one of their
    rompacks that came on 1.44s. Stupid pc company.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 2, 2005
  8. Bruce

    Plato Guest

    ifonly wrote:

    > Check on Compaq website, or watch the screen sometimes the message goes by
    > quickly. Compaq always puts bios/utilities stuff on a small portion of the
    > hard disk.

    Yes that's true for many older systems.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 2, 2005
  9. Bruce

    Plato Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as the
    > sound card wasn't working.
    >
    > To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing the
    > Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
    > will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
    > system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
    > but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.
    >
    > Any ides how to access the BIOS.

    Often when the big cursor is in the upper hand corner while booting you
    hit f10, or try delete.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 2, 2005