    pictures or anything. I want to be really careful not to erase anything
    I have on it. Help!

    , Jan 12, 2007

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > This computer was doing great until a few days ago I found a CD that
    > came with it labeled "Windows 98 Second Edition Updates". I thought my
    > computer was only windows 98, and decided to install the updates. It
    > took forever! I now think it was re-writing all of windows 98 se.
    > Because now it opens in 16 color "safe" mode and doesn't even show that
    > I have a CD drive. But, it didn't erase any of my programs, files, or
    > pictures or anything. I want to be really careful not to erase anything
    > I have on it. Help!

    That's correct...
    your video will be lo-res in safe mode
    and unless you specifically load the dos drivers for your cdrom...it will
    not work in safe mode either.

    Try rebooting your machine to see if it comes up normally.
    If not.. run scanreg /restore and restore you registry back to a date prior
    to installing the updates

    philo, Jan 12, 2007