    Thanks

    PS: Are there any known issues installing XP on a Compaq (approx 4-5 years
    old)

    Martik, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Martik

    Boomer Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in
    news:IOnhc.63957$dg7.48287@edtnps84:

    > I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with
    > XP.
    >
    > I understand there is a recovery partition on the HD.
    > Is there any reason I cannot delete this and use for other data,
    > assuming I will never go back to ME?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PS: Are there any known issues installing XP on a Compaq (approx
    > 4-5 years old)

    If you haven't already, you might want to ask over at this news group
    also. alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

    Boomer, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Martik

    TT Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with XP.
    >
    > I understand there is a recovery partition on the HD.
    > Is there any reason I cannot delete this and use for other data, assuming I
    > will never go back to ME?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PS: Are there any known issues installing XP on a Compaq (approx 4-5 years
    > old)

    The partition can be gotten rid of with any new installation-especially
    on a machine well out of it's warranty and free support period
    That information just makes it easier for the original install recovery.
    XP will install on just about anything with at least 256mb of
    RAM-there are lower limits on processor speed but I can't think of what
    they are right now. XP takes at least 3-4 gb of hd space-you have to
    figure that in when you install...

    TT, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Martik

    Plato Guest

    Martik wrote:

    > I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with XP.

    You take a risk in assuming that the XP supports your hardware. May, or
    may not.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 22, 2004