    I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.

    Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill command?

    Many thanks.
    Oddjob, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Oddjob

    beenthere Guest

    "Oddjob" <> wrote in message
    news:44998ff7$0$4874$...
    > Hi, my Compaq server PII 350MHz has suffered a CPU fan failure, I have
    > replaced the fan in the carriage and now I get error 1611 - CPU fan
    > failure occasionally.
    >
    > Sometimes when I boot, it will load NT4 Server only to come back with
    > NT/Authority "an environmental abnormality occurred requiring system
    > shutdown" and the server reboots after 60 seconds.
    >
    > I have stopped the dialogue box by disabling the Compaq shutdown service
    > but the machine still turns off.
    >
    > I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill command?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Sounds like a sensor error.
    You could see if you can turn the sensor off in the BIOS.
    beenthere, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Oddjob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:44998ff7$0$4874$,
    Oddjob spewed forth:
    > Hi, my Compaq server PII 350MHz has suffered a CPU fan failure, I have
    > replaced the fan in the carriage and now I get error 1611 - CPU fan
    > failure occasionally.
    >
    > Sometimes when I boot, it will load NT4 Server only to come back with
    > NT/Authority "an environmental abnormality occurred requiring system
    > shutdown" and the server reboots after 60 seconds.
    >
    > I have stopped the dialogue box by disabling the Compaq shutdown
    > service but the machine still turns off.
    >
    > I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill
    > command?
    > Many thanks.

    1) Are you sure the fan is the correct replacement part?

    2) Are you sure the fan is actually connectd correctly and working
    correctly?

    3) Have you gone into the hardware diagnostics of the server (check your
    boot options)? I had an intermittent memory error on an old PII server, and
    until I ran the diagnostics, the error never cleared.

    --
    I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
    alphabetical order, just like it should be.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Oddjob

    Oddjob Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:44998ff7$0$4874$,
    > Oddjob spewed forth:
    >> Hi, my Compaq server PII 350MHz has suffered a CPU fan failure, I have
    >> replaced the fan in the carriage and now I get error 1611 - CPU fan
    >> failure occasionally.
    >>
    >> Sometimes when I boot, it will load NT4 Server only to come back with
    >> NT/Authority "an environmental abnormality occurred requiring system
    >> shutdown" and the server reboots after 60 seconds.
    >>
    >> I have stopped the dialogue box by disabling the Compaq shutdown
    >> service but the machine still turns off.
    >>
    >> I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill
    >> command?
    >> Many thanks.

    > 1) Are you sure the fan is the correct replacement part?
    >
    > 2) Are you sure the fan is actually connectd correctly and working
    > correctly?
    >
    > 3) Have you gone into the hardware diagnostics of the server (check your
    > boot options)? I had an intermittent memory error on an old PII server,
    > and until I ran the diagnostics, the error never cleared.

    Thnaks for repling :)

    The fan is as close a replacement as I can get without waiting for 2 weeks
    for one from the USA.

    The fan is spinning well and throwing loads of air out of the back.

    This is it - How do I get into the diagnostics and turn off / reset the
    thermal protection?
    Oddjob, Jun 21, 2006
  5. Oddjob

    Ghostrider Guest

    Oddjob wrote:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In news:44998ff7$0$4874$,
    >>Oddjob spewed forth:
    >>
    >>>Hi, my Compaq server PII 350MHz has suffered a CPU fan failure, I have
    >>>replaced the fan in the carriage and now I get error 1611 - CPU fan
    >>>failure occasionally.
    >>>
    >>>Sometimes when I boot, it will load NT4 Server only to come back with
    >>>NT/Authority "an environmental abnormality occurred requiring system
    >>>shutdown" and the server reboots after 60 seconds.
    >>>
    >>>I have stopped the dialogue box by disabling the Compaq shutdown
    >>>service but the machine still turns off.
    >>>
    >>>I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.
    >>>
    >>>Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill
    >>>command?
    >>>Many thanks.

    >>1) Are you sure the fan is the correct replacement part?
    >>
    >>2) Are you sure the fan is actually connectd correctly and working
    >>correctly?
    >>
    >>3) Have you gone into the hardware diagnostics of the server (check your
    >>boot options)? I had an intermittent memory error on an old PII server,
    >>and until I ran the diagnostics, the error never cleared.
    >>

    > Thnaks for repling :)
    >
    > The fan is as close a replacement as I can get without waiting for 2 weeks
    > for one from the USA.
    >
    > The fan is spinning well and throwing loads of air out of the back.
    >
    > This is it - How do I get into the diagnostics and turn off / reset the
    > thermal protection?

    The thermometry for the Pentium-II is built into the CPU. The
    maximum temp for the CPU should be around 70 deg. C. If the
    threshold is set too low, then the alarm would be tripped. Check
    the threshold setting, usually by going into bios setup, and if
    low, re-set it for around 70 deg. C.
    Ghostrider, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Oddjob

    Oddjob Guest

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > Oddjob wrote:
    >
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In news:44998ff7$0$4874$,
    >>>Oddjob spewed forth:

    >>>1) Are you sure the fan is the correct replacement part?
    >>>
    >>>2) Are you sure the fan is actually connectd correctly and working
    >>>correctly?
    >>>
    >>>3) Have you gone into the hardware diagnostics of the server (check your
    >>>boot options)? I had an intermittent memory error on an old PII server,
    >>>and until I ran the diagnostics, the error never cleared.
    >>>

    >> Thnaks for repling :)
    >>
    >> The fan is as close a replacement as I can get without waiting for 2
    >> weeks for one from the USA.
    >>
    >> The fan is spinning well and throwing loads of air out of the back.
    >>
    >> This is it - How do I get into the diagnostics and turn off / reset the
    >> thermal protection?

    > The thermometry for the Pentium-II is built into the CPU. The
    > maximum temp for the CPU should be around 70 deg. C. If the
    > threshold is set too low, then the alarm would be tripped. Check
    > the threshold setting, usually by going into bios setup, and if
    > low, re-set it for around 70 deg. C.

    I have looked all around the bios and can't find any setting that controls
    thermal shutdown!!
    Oddjob, Jun 21, 2006
  7. Oddjob

    > In news:44998ff7$0$4874$,
    > Oddjob spewed forth:
    >> Hi, my Compaq server PII 350MHz has suffered a CPU fan failure, I have
    >> replaced the fan in the carriage and now I get error 1611 - CPU fan
    >> failure occasionally.
    >>
    >> Sometimes when I boot, it will load NT4 Server only to come back with
    >> NT/Authority "an environmental abnormality occurred requiring system
    >> shutdown" and the server reboots after 60 seconds.
    >>
    >> I have stopped the dialogue box by disabling the Compaq shutdown
    >> service but the machine still turns off.
    >>
    >> I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill
    >> command?
    >> Many thanks.

    > 1) Are you sure the fan is the correct replacement part?
    >
    > 2) Are you sure the fan is actually connectd correctly and working
    > correctly?
    >
    > 3) Have you gone into the hardware diagnostics of the server (check your
    > boot options)? I had an intermittent memory error on an old PII server,
    > and until I ran the diagnostics, the error never cleared.

    I have downloaded the HP server diagnostics boot disc - I have a feeling it
    will only allow me to look but not change anything.
    Oddjob, Jun 21, 2006
  8. Oddjob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:44999e1f$0$4874$,
    Oddjob spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:44998ff7$0$4874$,
    >> Oddjob spewed forth:
    >>> Hi, my Compaq server PII 350MHz has suffered a CPU fan failure, I
    >>> have replaced the fan in the carriage and now I get error 1611 -
    >>> CPU fan failure occasionally.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes when I boot, it will load NT4 Server only to come back
    >>> with NT/Authority "an environmental abnormality occurred requiring
    >>> system shutdown" and the server reboots after 60 seconds.
    >>>
    >>> I have stopped the dialogue box by disabling the Compaq shutdown
    >>> service but the machine still turns off.
    >>>
    >>> I replaced the fan with an almost the same Compaq replacement part.
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody know how to stop the server sending the OS the kill
    >>> command?
    >>> Many thanks.

    >> 1) Are you sure the fan is the correct replacement part?
    >>
    >> 2) Are you sure the fan is actually connectd correctly and working
    >> correctly?
    >>
    >> 3) Have you gone into the hardware diagnostics of the server (check
    >> your boot options)? I had an intermittent memory error on an old PII
    >> server, and until I ran the diagnostics, the error never cleared.
    >>

    > I have downloaded the HP server diagnostics boot disc - I have a
    > feeling it will only allow me to look but not change anything.

    I've mostly worked with Dell servers, and they had the diagnostics available
    from a boot menu - built in to the machine, and accessed in a similar manner
    to the CMOS setup. They don't do changes, but test the hardware, and
    automatically reset the error conditions. And the Compaq desktops I used
    back in the PI/PII days also had diagnostics, but they were on a hidden
    partition of the hard drive. Again, they were available from a boot disk or
    a boot menu.

    The HP diagnostics boot disc may do the same as the Dell I had problems
    with: it didn't /change/ anything, it just ran the tests, then reset the
    error message.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 22, 2006
  9. Oddjob

    mwsjpw

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Oddjob,

    I know it's 3 years later, but I am having the same problems you did. Did you ever find a resolution?

    Thanks,
    mwsjpw
    mwsjpw, Oct 1, 2009
  10. Oddjob

    UtahTN

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Having similar problem

    I'm also thinking this may be my problem. Server runs for 30 seconds and goes off and comes back on in 10 seconds or so and the same again and again. Did you receive any help with this subject.
    UtahTN, Dec 6, 2009