    a Mobo issue?
    Gary

    , Jul 22, 2003

  2. Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have a Compaq Presario 2256, Win 98
    > and it does not see the CDROM. I checked
    > the CDROM, 40 pin cable, and the bios settings.
    > Now the device manager tells me there's a problem
    > with both IDE contollers. I have tried to update the drivers
    > but the OS tells me there OK. Any suggestions? Could this be
    > a Mobo issue?
    > Gary

    First, boot to a Win98 floppy (make sure it has the CROM drivers n it) and
    see if it is seen then. That will help you narrow down hardware vs
    software.

    Ghost, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Guest

    Thanks for your help Larry. What I discovered was there was a boot
    sector virus causing all the amnesia in the computer. I should have
    figured something was strange with this customers machine when the
    Norton AV disc was in the CDROM. Once I erradicated the virus
    everything was cool.

    Thanks again,
    Gary

    , Jul 23, 2003