    to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
    picture files. Is there a way?
    Sue
    Dick M., Apr 8, 2004

  2. Dick M. wrote:

    > The laptop is a Compaq Pressario 700. It is a couple of years old.
    > Starting yesterday, it fails to complete the boot up process. It has
    > power, when turned on the Compaq logo appears, then it starts to
    > boot up showing the Windows XP logo, then it goes to a screen
    > which says it did not boot up successfully and offers several options
    > to try including safe mode, last workable setup, normal windows
    > setup.Trying any option starts the windows logo and a partial
    > bootup, then it goes back to the Compaq logo, and then back to
    > the screen stating bootup was not complete. It just continues this
    > cycle. I have the CD's which will reformat windows, but I would like
    > to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
    > picture files. Is there a way?
    > Sue

    You could try a repair.

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/rep... XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup:

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Jeroen Wijnands, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Dick M.

    Palindrome Guest

    Dick M. wrote:

    > The laptop is a Compaq Pressario 700. It is a couple of years old.
    > Starting yesterday, it fails to complete the boot up process. It has
    > power, when turned on the Compaq logo appears, then it starts to
    > boot up showing the Windows XP logo, then it goes to a screen
    > which says it did not boot up successfully and offers several options
    > to try including safe mode, last workable setup, normal windows
    > setup.Trying any option starts the windows logo and a partial
    > bootup, then it goes back to the Compaq logo, and then back to
    > the screen stating bootup was not complete. It just continues this
    > cycle. I have the CD's which will reformat windows, but I would like
    > to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
    > picture files. Is there a way?
    > Sue

    Do you have access to another computer or a LAN? If so, you could put
    your Pressario hard disk into another machine as a secondary disk (using
    a 2.5" cable adapter) and see if you could copy off all your files. Or
    make a network-enabled boot floppy/CD (with NTFS reader software, if
    needed) and use that view and to transfer your files, using the network
    connection. Even if you don't have another machine or network, you could
    use the boot floppy to access your files and make copies on floppy.
    Sorry not to be familiar with the Pressario and the CDs that come with
    it. It would be well worth finding someone that is (Campaq web site
    technical support?) as there may easily be a way of getting the system
    restored without losing your files.
    Palindrome, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Dick M.

    Dick M. Guest

    How do I use the cable adapter? Is this something needed to
    connect the drive in the laptop to the connector in my tower?
    Sue

    Dick M., Apr 8, 2004
  5. Dick M.

    Palindrome Guest

    Dick M. wrote:

    > How do I use the cable adapter? Is this something needed to
    > connect the drive in the laptop to the connector in my tower?
    > Sue

    Yep, the laptop drive needs a smaller connector with built-in power. The
    cable adapter will connect between the laptop drive and a spare tower
    IDE connector and power connector.

    Palindrome, Apr 8, 2004