    changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
    work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

    John

    J.Wilson, Jun 10, 2007

  2. J.Wilson

    Shane Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:

    > boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
    > did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
    > the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
    > install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
    > found the problem could be caused by a windows update
    > changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
    > work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
    >
    > John

    Does XP not have "step by step" or "safe mode" option during booting no
    more?

    Hmm according to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm debugging
    mode looks like somewhere for you to start.

    --
    Q: What's yellow, normed, and complete?
    A: A Bananach space.

    Shane, Jun 10, 2007

  3. In message <466b7734$>, J.Wilson wrote:

    > boots to a blank screen.

    Always handy to keep a Linux live CD around for troubleshooting purposes.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2007
  4. J.Wilson

    Jerry Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:
    > boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
    > did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
    > the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
    > install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
    > found the problem could be caused by a windows update
    > changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt work.
    > Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

    You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced options
    I think.

    Jerry, Jun 10, 2007
  5. J.Wilson

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > J.Wilson wrote:
    >> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
    >> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
    >> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
    >> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
    >> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
    >> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
    >> work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

    > You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced options
    > I think.

    Further to that, a non-destructive f10 recovery seems to save the
    registry, so any errors you have before you have afterwards. The format
    goes back to factory image.

    Jerry, Jun 10, 2007
  6. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Jerry wrote:
    >> J.Wilson wrote:
    >>> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
    >>> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
    >>> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
    >>> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
    >>> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
    >>> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt work.
    >>> Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

    >> You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced options
    >> I think.

    > Further to that, a non-destructive f10 recovery seems to save the
    > registry, so any errors you have before you have afterwards. The format
    > goes back to factory image

    Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
    it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
    a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?

    J.Wilson, Jun 10, 2007
  7. J.Wilson

    Richard Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:

    > Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
    > it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
    > a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?

    Boot off an install CD, delete all the partitions, and then create a new
    one and format it is how I normally do it, sometimes that doesnt clear
    crap from the MBR if the disc has has linux on it with one of its boot
    menus.

    Richard, Jun 10, 2007
  8. J.Wilson

    Jerry Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > J.Wilson wrote:
    >

    >> Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
    >> it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
    >> a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?

    > Boot off an install CD, delete all the partitions, and then create a new
    > one and format it is how I normally do it, sometimes that doesnt clear
    > crap from the MBR if the disc has has linux on it with one of its boot
    > menus.

    Except that on a Presario or a lot of name brand PCs that will delete
    the recovery partition.

    Jerry, Jun 10, 2007
  9. J.Wilson

    Jerry Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:

    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> Jerry wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced
    >>> options I think.

    >> Further to that, a non-destructive f10 recovery seems to save the
    >> registry, so any errors you have before you have afterwards. The
    >> format goes back to factory image

    > Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
    > it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
    > a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?

    The destructive option will leave the recovery partition intact, but
    format the user partition and reload the factory image. After that the
    PC will be as it came from the factory. If you have a hard drive
    problem it might not work, but it is probably your best chance at this stage

    Jerry, Jun 10, 2007