Compaq presario ram

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by kenneth, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. kenneth

    kenneth Guest

    Hi group.
    Why doesn't it work with new ram in my presario 5000 series (5bw120)
    I have bought new ram:
    (Kingston KVR133X64C2/256) 256mb PC133 DIMM CL2
    Now, when i start the computer it doesn't even start to count the ram's, it
    just come to a hault, and there is nothing i can do unless uninstalling the
    new ram and then reinstall the old ram again. Then the computer works fine
    again.
    I have tried the ram in my old computer manufactored in 97, and there they
    works fine.
    The computer is equiped with a standard intel celeron 600 mHz processor and
    onboard graphic and soundcard chip.
    I have tried both slots for the ramblock and only with the new ram
    installed, and not a mix of old and new ramblock.
    I have looked on Compaq/HP homepage and cannot see I have bought wrong Ram.

    Anyone who have discovered similar problems or knows how to fix, please let
    me know

    Best regards Kenneth

    kenneth, Dec 19, 2004

  2. kenneth

    Thor Guest

    "kenneth" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group.
    > Why doesn't it work with new ram in my presario 5000 series (5bw120)
    > I have bought new ram:
    > (Kingston KVR133X64C2/256) 256mb PC133 DIMM CL2
    > Now, when i start the computer it doesn't even start to count the ram's,
    > it just come to a hault, and there is nothing i can do unless uninstalling
    > the new ram and then reinstall the old ram again. Then the computer works
    > fine again.
    > I have tried the ram in my old computer manufactored in 97, and there they
    > works fine.
    > The computer is equiped with a standard intel celeron 600 mHz processor
    > and onboard graphic and soundcard chip.
    > I have tried both slots for the ramblock and only with the new ram
    > installed, and not a mix of old and new ramblock.
    > I have looked on Compaq/HP homepage and cannot see I have bought wrong
    > Ram.
    >
    > Anyone who have discovered similar problems or knows how to fix, please
    > let me know
    >
    > Best regards Kenneth

    Kenneth, your problem is likely due to a chip density issue. Most of the
    PC133 DIMM modules made today use higher density 256 megabit chips, instead
    of the older 128 megabit chips used when your computers were built years
    ago. They use the new high density chips because this way, fewer chips are
    needed on the module for a given capacity. For example, a 128megabyte DIMM
    module would typically have eight 128mbit (16 megabyte) chips. But with
    todays modules, 128 MB DIMMs now usually come with four 256mbit (32
    megabyte) chips instead. How does this relate to your problem? Well, some
    motherboard chipsets like the Intel 440BX, 810, 815 and a couple non-intel
    chipsets, do not work with, or recognize modules that use the newer 256mbit
    chips, even though they may support the capacity of the module otherwise.
    Your 256 megabyte DIMM probably has eight 256mbit chips and your Compaq
    simply cannot deal with it. The other computer conversely probably does not
    have a chipset that has this limitation with newer memory. Not all of them
    did. The best thing for you to do is go to www.crucial.com and use their
    memory configurator to select the proper memory for your exact Compaq
    computer model, and you should get memory that is fully compatible with it.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2004

  3. kenneth

    kenneth Guest

    Hi Thor
    Thanks for the detailed information. It was helpful to me in a way, that i
    now know, that i will buy new ram directly from Compaq/HP.

    Best regards Kenneth
    Thor, Dec 19, 2004
  5. kenneth

    David Guest

    The simple answer is to get pc100 instead. I have a
    presario 5010 and cheap "Kbyte" pc100 memory worked
    fine and made a BIG difference and I only added 128mb
    for a total of 256mb (with xp pro os). Best wishes.
    Dave

    David, Dec 20, 2004
  6. kenneth

    Thor Guest

    that is no guarantee of compatibility. Most PC-100 modules now use 256mbit
    chips as well.

    Thor, Dec 20, 2004