Compaq Presario Notebook 1070: ReInstall Windows via Boot Disc

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 2:02 PM
    Subject: Compaq Presario Notebook 1070: ReInstall Windows

    My Compaq Presario 1070 Notebook laptop has Windows 95 OS. When I try to use
    it, the laptop loads to the Compaq splashscreen and gives me 2 messages;
    "RTC Lost Power- Replace Battery and run setup" and "System board failure."
    I've restored my BIOS Settings to the factory defaults and booted itn with a
    boot disk in the Floppy Drive. The computer gives a message that says
    "Starting Windows 95." Windows Installer starts but it gives me a message
    "Cannot install Windows 95 on your computer. It may not have a hard disc or
    your hard disc isn't working properly." I have also tried to get a different
    boot disc and install Windows 98 but it says "cannot run in DOS mode." Any
    Ideas?

    John, Aug 24, 2004

  2. John

    °Mike° Guest

    Replace the CMOS battery and then redetect your
    hard drive, and reset the clock etc.

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:09:29 GMT, in
    <tvLWc.174787$8_6.88540@attbi_s04>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 24, 2004

  3. John

    Ingeborg Guest

    "John" <> wrote in
    > My Compaq Presario 1070 Notebook laptop has Windows 95 OS. When I try
    > to use it, the laptop loads to the Compaq splashscreen and gives me 2
    > messages; "RTC Lost Power- Replace Battery and run setup" and "System
    > board failure." I've restored my BIOS Settings to the factory defaults
    > and booted itn with a boot disk in the Floppy Drive. The computer
    > gives a message that says "Starting Windows 95." Windows Installer
    > starts but it gives me a message "Cannot install Windows 95 on your
    > computer. It may not have a hard disc or your hard disc isn't working
    > properly." I have also tried to get a different boot disc and install
    > Windows 98 but it says "cannot run in DOS mode." Any Ideas?

    It seems you have to specify your harddisk in the BIOS. Maybe there's an
    autodetect function, else you'll have to open the box to find out how many
    heads, cylinders and sectors the disk has.

    Ingeborg, Aug 24, 2004
  4. John

    Pennywise Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:08:07 +0200, Ingeborg <-> wrote:

    |>else you'll have to open the box to find out how many
    |>heads, cylinders and sectors the disk has.

    Ever counted sectors before? right...

    Just google the number found on the hard drive.

    Pennywise, Aug 24, 2004