    into it will not turn it back on. So I'm up for any suggestions on how
    to turn this back on. Thanks, Paul.

    , Aug 4, 2006

  2. bmoag Guest

    Rebooting should solve the problem.
    If not, go into control panel/system/hardware/device manager and reactivate
    the device.

    bmoag, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello, thanks for reading my topic, and hopefully helping me fix this
    > little problem. But, I have a compaq presario with a 9-in1 memory card
    > reader. Before removing my memory card from the drive recently, I right
    > click in a lower right part of screen where you "unplug" usb devices.
    > Apparently you are not supped to do this. And now that have unplugged
    > or I guess turned of the memory card reader. Simply inserting a card
    > into it will not turn it back on. So I'm up for any suggestions on how
    > to turn this back on. Thanks, Paul.

    Hi.

    Another poor soul with a nice fast computer and a built in dead slow Card
    Reader.

    What you are supposed to do is Right Click on the drive with the card and
    select "Eject", but that does nothing for my Presario Reader, the light does
    not go out or anything.

    Perhaps this is another thing that these USB1 Readers are too out-dated to
    do. It does work perfectly well on my SanDiscUSB 2 Reader, which is plugged
    into the port on the Presario Card Reader Fascia.

    It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
    Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

    I would post it back to them, but I suspect they won't refund on it because
    they probably got them for free.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 5, 2006
  4. Roy G wrote:

    > What you are supposed to do is Right Click on the drive with the card and
    > select "Eject", but that does nothing for my Presario Reader, the light does
    > not go out or anything.

    Eject never really does anything on Windows. You're supposed to click
    in the tray and "safely remove" it.

    > It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
    > Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

    Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
    have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
    to copy that from Apple.

    Newsgroup User, Aug 7, 2006
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:34:32 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:

    >> It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
    >> Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

    > Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
    > have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
    > to copy that from Apple.

    For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
    USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
    into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
    removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
    also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
    would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
    used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
    glance whether the drive was empty or not.

    BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
    does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
    three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
    Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
    hardware or driver differences I can't say.

    ASAAR, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Roy G Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:34:32 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:
    >
    >>> It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
    >>> Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

    >> Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
    >> have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
    >> to copy that from Apple.

    > For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
    > USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
    > into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
    > removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
    > also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
    > would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
    > used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
    > glance whether the drive was empty or not.
    >
    > BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
    > does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
    > three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
    > Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
    > hardware or driver differences I can't say.

    Hi.

    There are 8 drives showing because there are 4 Snail Paced Built in and
    there is also my USB2 reader Plugged in.

    I am still waiting on anything other than the standard useless reply from HP
    about my complaint regarding the Built In USB1 Reader, being not a lot of
    use to a photographer. If they don't get their finger out soon, I will begin
    to get more than a little annoyed.

    As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
    putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
    bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
    Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

    Different from PCs - Yes

    Better than PCs - No

    Just a different way of becoming a Pain-in-the-arse.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 7, 2006
  7. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:26:22 GMT, Roy G wrote:

    > As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
    > putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
    > bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
    > Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

    Which obviously led to the development of RW drives. :) I
    vaguely recall reading about a problem with early Macs where floppy
    disks couldn't be ejected under some circumstances, possibly related
    to too much being written to the Mac's hard drive. If I recall
    correctly, the floppy could be ejected only after deleting one or
    more files from the hard drive.

    ASAAR, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > "ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
    >>> have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
    >>> to copy that from Apple.

    >> For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
    >> USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
    >> into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
    >> removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
    >> also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
    >> would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
    >> used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
    >> glance whether the drive was empty or not.
    >>
    >> BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
    >> does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
    >> three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
    >> Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
    >> hardware or driver differences I can't say.
    >>

    > Hi.
    >
    > There are 8 drives showing because there are 4 Snail Paced Built in and
    > there is also my USB2 reader Plugged in.
    >
    > I am still waiting on anything other than the standard useless reply from HP
    > about my complaint regarding the Built In USB1 Reader, being not a lot of
    > use to a photographer. If they don't get their finger out soon, I will begin
    > to get more than a little annoyed.

    I have already forwarded my opinion of including such a crippled
    'feature' in a top of the line system. Not that they will give a hoot.
    So, the next time I go to buy a new system, I will remember to check
    for such things, and/or not buy HP. Perhaps when they get enough such
    messages, they will reconsider dumping their old hardware into the
    higher price systems.
    In my case, this is no big deal as I rarely use the memory card reader
    in the first place (which is why I never noticed the slow speed), but
    rather the one in my printer.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 8, 2006
  9. Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:26:22 GMT, Roy G wrote:
    >
    >> As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
    >> putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
    >> bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
    >> Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

    > Which obviously led to the development of RW drives. :) I
    > vaguely recall reading about a problem with early Macs where floppy
    > disks couldn't be ejected under some circumstances, possibly related
    > to too much being written to the Mac's hard drive. If I recall
    > correctly, the floppy could be ejected only after deleting one or
    > more files from the hard drive.

    All the Mac users I knew kept a paperclip handy near their Macs to eject
    balky diskettes.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 8, 2006
  10. ASAAR wrote:

    > For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
    > USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
    > into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
    > removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
    > also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive

    Why would you want to see it? You can look in the System profiler
    (similar to devices on Windows) and see it connected if you must know if
    it's recognized. It should not get in the way if you can't use it
    (which you can't without a card inserted).

    And, yes, the Mac also hides CD drives too (so does Linux) - why would I
    care if I had a CD drive if I can't use it?

    > would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
    > used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
    > glance whether the drive was empty or not.

    That would be useful. Sadly after 20 years, MS Still can't get it right.

    > BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
    > does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
    > three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
    > Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
    > hardware or driver differences I can't say.

    I've had different readers show up like that as well - could be a
    difference in the drivers.

    Newsgroup User, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Roy G wrote:

    > As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
    > putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
    > bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
    > Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

    That must have been an OLD system - with OSX it will ask me what I want
    to do with it. And the Eject key on the keyboard always works to get it
    out.

    > Better than PCs - No

    Most definitely - I use both, get paid to babysit Windows. Yet I come
    home to an all Mac house.

    Newsgroup User, Aug 10, 2006
  12. ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:32:44 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:

    >> For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
    >> USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
    >> into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
    >> removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
    >> also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive

    > Why would you want to see it? You can look in the System profiler
    > (similar to devices on Windows) and see it connected if you must know if
    > it's recognized. It should not get in the way if you can't use it
    > (which you can't without a card inserted).

    The reason I'd want to see it is immaterial. A better question
    might ask, if I want to see it, why would I want to forego the file
    browser (which I have running more than 99% of the time) for the
    System Device Manager, which takes many more mouse movements and
    clicks to show me what I want to see? Using the file browser, I can
    quickly see *all* drives, including hard drives, CD & DVD drives as
    well as flash RAM drives at a glance. Using the more labor
    intensive Device Manager I'd have to check each drive type one at a
    time. Believe it or not, but the appearance of a few empty drives
    does NOT get in the way. And if it did, for many people, there
    would soon be a menu option to allow empty drives to be hidden.
    Your logic also seems to assume that people only use their own
    personal computers. But if they use a friend's computer, or one in
    an office or library, they wouldn't automatically know all the
    devices that are physically connected, and it might be nice to know
    that even though the front of the computer doesn't show a built-in
    card reader or DVD drive, a USB attached device might be available,
    even if it isn't seen.

    > And, yes, the Mac also hides CD drives too (so does Linux) - why would I
    > care if I had a CD drive if I can't use it?

    I can't speak for you. If you have no reason to care, then the
    Mac appears to be a good choice for you. For those that do, the
    Mac's minimalist approach isn't ideal. Minimalism can have some
    advantages, but when pursued fanatically by an, oh ... Steve Jobs,
    it can lead to computer designs that suffer from heat problems
    because little Stevie preferred stylish, silent computers that
    didn't deign to use cooling fans. He might have changed his mind
    sooner if he thought that some day future Macs would be powered by
    Intel's digital furnaces.

    > > would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
    > > used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
    > > glance whether the drive was empty or not.

    > That would be useful. Sadly after 20 years, MS Still can't get it right.

    Huh? That's what MS *did* get right, in a sense. The
    highlighting of empty drives may be ideal, but what MS does instead
    is show next to the device's icon, some information about what it
    contains. In the case of a data object (CD, DVD, flash Memory or
    hard drive) it shows the Volume Label. So when I look at my USB
    attached hard drive, next to the drive's icon, the browser shows
    "Seagate NTFS 60GB (K:)". If a commercial audio CD is inserted in
    the CD drive, that has no Volume Label, only "Audio CD (G:)" is
    shown. I don't have a commercial audio CD handy that contains CD
    text, but there's a good chance that the browser might display more
    than "Audio CD" if it finds such a CD. If a drive is empty, guess
    what the file browser shows? Yep, it shows something like
    "Removable Disk (M:)". So it's a bit less clean than if the empty
    drives were merely highlighted, but it shows as much or more
    information in the same amount of space.

    ASAAR, Aug 10, 2006
  13. ASAAR wrote:

    > The reason I'd want to see it is immaterial. A better question
    > might ask, if I want to see it, why would I want to forego the file
    > browser (which I have running more than 99% of the time) for the
    > System Device Manager, which takes many more mouse movements and
    > clicks to show me what I want to see? Using the file browser, I can
    > quickly see *all* drives, including hard drives, CD & DVD drives as
    > well as flash RAM drives at a glance. Using the more labor

    Why would I want to see in my computer something I can't use. Why would
    I care that I have a CD Drive unless I put something into it? I know
    it's there because I can see it. When I put something in it, it shows
    up. Works very well for me - I don't have to worry about which drive it
    is, etc.

    > personal computers. But if they use a friend's computer, or one in
    > an office or library, they wouldn't automatically know all the
    > devices that are physically connected, and it might be nice to know
    > that even though the front of the computer doesn't show a built-in
    > card reader or DVD drive, a USB attached device might be available,
    > even if it isn't seen.

    Well, for a USB card reader, it better be seen or you won't even know
    where to look. I've been in IT for quite a long time. You'd be
    surprised how many people get thrown off when using another computer
    only to find the CD drive is not drive D, but E, F, or Z. Yet another
    reason to do away with them....

    > I can't speak for you. If you have no reason to care, then the
    > Mac appears to be a good choice for you. For those that do, the
    > Mac's minimalist approach isn't ideal. Minimalism can have some
    > advantages, but when pursued fanatically by an, oh ... Steve Jobs,
    > it can lead to computer designs that suffer from heat problems
    > because little Stevie preferred stylish, silent computers that
    > didn't deign to use cooling fans. He might have changed his mind
    > sooner if he thought that some day future Macs would be powered by
    > Intel's digital furnaces.

    Like what heat problems? My wife has one of the "furnaces" - MacBook
    2Ghz. No issues here. It's about as hot as my Powerbook. They get hot
    - so what? You have a heat producing chip wrapped in an aluminum case.
    Aluminum is an excellent transferrer of heat. Of course it's going to
    feel hot.

    And don't knock the fanless designs until you try it. Like I said,
    I've been in IT for a long time and always built my own PC. Then I took
    the plunge and got the iMac (iLamp) and was amazed how the lack of noise
    really quieted my office. Makes using a regular computer with lots of
    fan noise an annoyance.

    That being said, there's something to the minimalist design. It frees
    you from the caring of how it works and gets out of your way. Once you
    experience it you realize how annoying Windows is. I hate getting
    reminded to clean up my desktop, that a network is connected, that
    updates are ready, etc. The alerts are very intrusive in Windows - the
    way OS X handles it is so much better. For example -when I connect to a
    wireless network, the signal in the upper right of my screen shows the
    strength. Then it scrolls the name of the network 2-3 times. Then it
    goes away. Contrast that to Windows where a very obtrusive balloon pops
    up telling me I'm connected to XXX and my strength is YYY. If I want it
    to disappear immediately, I must click something.

    > highlighting of empty drives may be ideal, but what MS does instead
    > is show next to the device's icon, some information about what it
    > contains. In the case of a data object (CD, DVD, flash Memory or
    > hard drive) it shows the Volume Label. So when I look at my USB
    > attached hard drive, next to the drive's icon, the browser shows
    > "Seagate NTFS 60GB (K:)". If a commercial audio CD is inserted in
    > the CD drive, that has no Volume Label, only "Audio CD (G:)" is
    > shown. I don't have a commercial audio CD handy that contains CD
    > text, but there's a good chance that the browser might display more
    > than "Audio CD" if it finds such a CD. If a drive is empty, guess
    > what the file browser shows? Yep, it shows something like
    > "Removable Disk (M:)". So it's a bit less clean than if the empty
    > drives were merely highlighted, but it shows as much or more
    > information in the same amount of space.

    I use both platforms on a day to day basis and know how Windows handles
    it. It's just a suboptimal solution to show something you can't use.
    No matter how well labelled it is. If I can't use it, I don't want to
    see it.

    I liken it to printers - sure they could show you all printers and have
    the ones you are not using grayed out. Yet they don't - they only show
    you what you have installed. This same logic should apply to the
    drives. I don't care I have drives M-Y that are my 13-in-1 reader
    unless I put a card in there. Then I care.

    Here's another one - I have some combo reader at work hooked up to my
    Windows machine. It's a reader/floppy. Sometimes it won't connect
    right to the USB (mos likely due to Windows' flaky sleep routines).
    Every time I connect it, I get the 5-6 drives. Put something in and
    double click it and 1/2 the time you get prompted to format it. That is
    very confusing - I have something in there and yet I can't use it.
    Every once in a while it will corrupt something.

    Ive faced similar situations on the Mac. It doesn't show up on the
    desktop. Now I know I have a problem as I have a device connected,
    something in the device, and it doesn't show up. I immediately know to
    go investigate.

    Different strokes for different folks I guess.

    Newsgroup User, Aug 13, 2006
  14. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:38:51 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:

    >> The reason I'd want to see it is immaterial. A better question
    >> might ask, if I want to see it, why would I want to forego the file
    >> browser (which I have running more than 99% of the time) for the
    >> System Device Manager, which takes many more mouse movements and
    >> clicks to show me what I want to see? Using the file browser, I can
    >> quickly see *all* drives, including hard drives, CD & DVD drives as
    >> well as flash RAM drives at a glance. Using the more labor

    > Why would I want to see in my computer something I can't use. Why would
    > I care that I have a CD Drive unless I put something into it?

    Why would I care what your preferences are? I have my own and you
    have yours. Yours work for you, mine work for me. If you think
    about it, this is probably why you're still using a Mac, and why I
    prefer to avoid them. :)

    > Well, for a USB card reader, it better be seen or you won't even know
    > where to look. I've been in IT for quite a long time. You'd be
    > surprised how many people get thrown off when using another computer
    > only to find the CD drive is not drive D, but E, F, or Z. Yet another
    > reason to do away with them....

    Not a problem when looking at drives using a file browser. Empty
    CD or DVD drives are represented by an icon of a small disk above a
    drive. The icon used to represent a drive containing a disk is a
    large disk with no drive shown. Additionally (as I previously said)
    text it added that identifies the drives. So my computer's three
    CD/DVD drives are identified by browsers as :

    > DVD-RAM Drive (E:)
    > AMELIE (F:)
    > CD-RW Drive (G:)

    which conveniently reminded me that I had forgotten to remove the
    DVD from the F: drive. After removing it, the browser shows:

    > DVD Drive (F:)

    If those aren't enough clues to aid people using another computer
    then they're, well, clueless . . .

    >> I can't speak for you. If you have no reason to care, then the
    >> Mac appears to be a good choice for you. For those that do, the
    >> Mac's minimalist approach isn't ideal. Minimalism can have some
    >> advantages, but when pursued fanatically by an, oh ... Steve Jobs,
    >> it can lead to computer designs that suffer from heat problems
    >> because little Stevie preferred stylish, silent computers that
    >> didn't deign to use cooling fans. He might have changed his mind
    >> sooner if he thought that some day future Macs would be powered by
    >> Intel's digital furnaces.

    > Like what heat problems? My wife has one of the "furnaces" - MacBook
    > 2Ghz. No issues here. It's about as hot as my Powerbook. They get hot
    > - so what? You have a heat producing chip wrapped in an aluminum case.
    > Aluminum is an excellent transferrer of heat. Of course it's going to
    > feel hot.

    So what? As heat goes up, battery life goes down. AMD's
    processors run cooler than Intel's. Intel just announced a new line
    of CPUs that may close the gap, but those (AFAIK) aren't intended to
    be used in laptops, and would make your laptop run much hotter.

    But my point had nothing to do with you and the laptop sitting in
    your hot little lap. It was about Jobs, and some of the foolish
    decisions he made that would later be reversed.

    > And don't knock the fanless designs until you try it. Like I said,
    > I've been in IT for a long time and always built my own PC. Then I took
    > the plunge and got the iMac (iLamp) and was amazed how the lack of noise
    > really quieted my office. Makes using a regular computer with lots of
    > fan noise an annoyance.

    Fans aren't the only things that produce annoying noises. :) But
    poor design is a big contributor to fan noise. Large, slow fans
    cool just as well as small, cheap ones, but tend to last longer and
    run much more quietly. My old HP computer (Intel PentiumPro CPU)
    isn't excessively loud, but when it's running, the fan can be easily
    heard. The exhaust is also quite warm. The new HP computer (AMD
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+) probably has about 50 times the computing power,
    but its fan produces hardly any noise, and the exhaust can barely be
    felt, and the temperature is so low that most people might think
    it's just circulating ambient temp. air.

    > That being said, there's something to the minimalist design. It frees
    > you from the caring of how it works and gets out of your way. Once you
    > experience it you realize how annoying Windows is. I hate getting
    > reminded to clean up my desktop, that a network is connected, that
    > updates are ready, etc. The alerts are very intrusive in Windows - the
    > way OS X handles it is so much better. For example -when I connect to a
    > wireless network, the signal in the upper right of my screen shows the
    > strength. Then it scrolls the name of the network 2-3 times. Then it
    > goes away. Contrast that to Windows where a very obtrusive balloon pops
    > up telling me I'm connected to XXX and my strength is YYY. If I want it
    > to disappear immediately, I must click something.

    I suspect it depends on the vendor's software. My computer
    doesn't have a network connection, but when it connects to the
    internet, a small popup appears at the bottom of the screen
    identifying the connection and its speed, and after a couple of
    seconds vanishes. Suffice it to say, OS X doesn't handle anything
    better than Windows. Nor are Windows' methods better than OS X's.
    They're different, and you prefer OS X's design while I prefer
    Windows. Probably not for all of their features, but in general.
    I'll have to take your word for it that you find Windows reminders
    or alerts "very obtrusive", but I suspect that you're either
    overstating the case or are finicky to the extreme. I wouldn't
    think that you're a Mac zealot, as there aren't nearly as many of
    them around as there once were. But I could be mistaken. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 13, 2006
  15. ASAAR wrote:
    > have yours. Yours work for you, mine work for me. If you think
    > about it, this is probably why you're still using a Mac, and why I
    > prefer to avoid them. :)

    I graduated out of Windows and wanted the power of Unix with the
    compatibility of the Mac. :)

    > which conveniently reminded me that I had forgotten to remove the
    > DVD from the F: drive. After removing it, the browser shows:
    >
    >> DVD Drive (F:)

    > If those aren't enough clues to aid people using another computer
    > then they're, well, clueless . . .

    Wouldn't it be better if it just disappeared completely? After all, why
    do you care you still have an F drive if there's nothing in it?

    > So what? As heat goes up, battery life goes down. AMD's
    > processors run cooler than Intel's. Intel just announced a new line
    > of CPUs that may close the gap, but those (AFAIK) aren't intended to
    > be used in laptops, and would make your laptop run much hotter.

    Not necessarily. Concentrate 50 watts in a 1/2 inch square of aluminum
    and you'll probably burn your hand. Take that same 50 watts and
    dissipate it over 5 inches of plastic and you'll not get burnt. Same
    amount of heat, totally different results. One will feel like a furnace
    and the other will barely get warm.

    > But my point had nothing to do with you and the laptop sitting in
    > your hot little lap. It was about Jobs, and some of the foolish
    > decisions he made that would later be reversed.

    Like what? Fanless designs are great. If you can get away with it, one
    less thing to break. Being in IT for many many years, the first thing
    to go is usually the cheap $0.25 CPU Fan. They are so cheap that there
    is no incentive for anyone to make a quality part.

    > Fans aren't the only things that produce annoying noises. :) But

    Hard drives giving up the ghost and unbalanced CD/DVD's also make
    annoying noises. :)

    > I suspect it depends on the vendor's software. My computer
    > doesn't have a network connection, but when it connects to the
    > internet, a small popup appears at the bottom of the screen
    > identifying the connection and its speed, and after a couple of

    Nothing other than the standard IBM wireless card with XP, SP-1's
    Windows drivers. Very annoying.

    > seconds vanishes. Suffice it to say, OS X doesn't handle anything
    > better than Windows. Nor are Windows' methods better than OS X's.

    OSX handles most things better than Windows. Take my Thinkpad - it's a
    stock install of Windows. Sleep mode about once a week just
    spontaneously reboots on wake (despite adequate battery power
    remaining). My Powerbook will sleep and wake for MONTHS without issues.

    Then that same machine will sometimes fail to find the wireless network.
    It then needs a reboot to clear things up. Contrast that to my PB
    that goes between many wireless networks flawlessly for weeks/months.

    > I'll have to take your word for it that you find Windows reminders
    > or alerts "very obtrusive", but I suspect that you're either
    > overstating the case or are finicky to the extreme. I wouldn't
    > think that you're a Mac zealot, as there aren't nearly as many of
    > them around as there once were. But I could be mistaken. :)

    I've been through all the iterations of Windows, from 3.1 to XP, NT 4 to
    2k3. Done the OS/2 thing, and now the OS X thing. XP is the most
    chatty and obtrusive POS OS from MS. I don't need to be nagged that
    there are unused icons on my desktop. I don't need to be nagged that
    there are updates available. I don't need to be nagged about the
    wireless network.

    I guess I just remember when we worked computers not having them work or
    second guess us. I like my messy desktop, can figure out updates on my
    own, etc. Guess I just like clean and good, intuitive design.

    And this is not even discussing the fugly mess that is the XP default
    UI. I guess the only ones MS could afford to do the design was 2nd
    graders with Crayola? :)

    Newsgroup User, Aug 15, 2006
  16. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:23:52 -0400, Newsgroup User put down his
    crayons long enough to type:

    >> I'll have to take your word for it that you find Windows reminders
    >> or alerts "very obtrusive", but I suspect that you're either
    >> overstating the case or are finicky to the extreme. I wouldn't
    >> think that you're a Mac zealot, as there aren't nearly as many of
    >> them around as there once were. But I could be mistaken. :)

    > . . .
    >
    > And this is not even discussing the fugly mess that is the XP default
    > UI. I guess the only ones MS could afford to do the design was 2nd
    > graders with Crayola? :)

    It appears that I was mistaken.

    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2006
  17. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:23:52 -0400, Newsgroup User put down his
    > crayons long enough to type:
    >
    >>> I'll have to take your word for it that you find Windows reminders
    >>> or alerts "very obtrusive", but I suspect that you're either
    >>> overstating the case or are finicky to the extreme. I wouldn't
    >>> think that you're a Mac zealot, as there aren't nearly as many of
    >>> them around as there once were. But I could be mistaken. :)

    >> . . .
    >>
    >> And this is not even discussing the fugly mess that is the XP default
    >> UI. I guess the only ones MS could afford to do the design was 2nd
    >> graders with Crayola? :)

    > It appears that I was mistaken.

    Why? The first thing I do everytime I reload XP is revert it back to
    the "normal" Win2k UI.

    Newsgroup User, Aug 18, 2006
  18. ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:38:02 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:

    >>> . . .
    >>>
    >>> And this is not even discussing the fugly mess that is the XP default
    >>> UI. I guess the only ones MS could afford to do the design was 2nd
    >>> graders with Crayola? :)

    >> It appears that I was mistaken.

    > Why? The first thing I do everytime I reload XP is revert it back to
    > the "normal" Win2k UI.

    Put down the crayon and re-read what I wrote more slowly. <g>
    My "mistake" was in thinking that you might not be a Mac zealot. I
    wasn't commenting on your dislike of the XP's new UI, but the way
    you chose to express it. For what it's worth, I agree, and chose to
    have XP use the "Classic" UI.

    ASAAR, Aug 18, 2006