Compaq Presario internal modem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Daniel, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Trying to remove an internal 56K modem from a Compaq Presario because
    I don't need it when I've already got broadband, and would prefer to have
    it idle doing nothing, rather than sitting on the PCI bus wasting I/O
    cycles and some power and still doing nothing.

    Thing is, this modem just won't come out of the PCI slot.

    I've tried your typical amount of brute force, not overly excessive, but,
    the usual for removing a PCI card. But, the thing won't budge. I mean, it
    doesn't even loosen - not even a tiny bit.

    Then I remember reading about how the odd PC manufacturer/retailer would
    *glue* the modem into the PCI slot. What on earth for, I have no idea.

    It's the only explanation I can think of.

    Does anyone else have a similar experience, and is there a way to
    get around it?

    Now, I'm wondering if I can disable the PCI slot the modem is in?

    Thanks,
    Daniel, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Trying to remove an internal 56K modem from a Compaq Presario because
    > I don't need it when I've already got broadband, and would prefer to have
    > it idle doing nothing, rather than sitting on the PCI bus wasting I/O
    > cycles and some power and still doing nothing.
    >
    > Thing is, this modem just won't come out of the PCI slot.
    >
    > I've tried your typical amount of brute force, not overly excessive, but,
    > the usual for removing a PCI card. But, the thing won't budge. I mean, it
    > doesn't even loosen - not even a tiny bit.
    >
    > Then I remember reading about how the odd PC manufacturer/retailer would
    > *glue* the modem into the PCI slot. What on earth for, I have no idea.
    >
    > It's the only explanation I can think of.
    >
    > Does anyone else have a similar experience, and is there a way to
    > get around it?
    >
    > Now, I'm wondering if I can disable the PCI slot the modem is in?

    Why don't you go into control panel system settings and disable device?
    Craig Sutton, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >

    > Why don't you go into control panel system settings and disable device?

    Hmmm... didn't think of that. Cheers.
    Daniel, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Daniel wrote:
    >> Why don't you go into control panel system settings and disable device?

    > Hmmm... didn't think of that. Cheers.

    it'll still use power of some description... I disabled a NIC and it
    still shows link when disabled, and wifi card still shows signal when
    disabled.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e