    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 15, 2006

  2. "Tom" <tomrue@___gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9786CA0E7ECB3Myemailaddressnet@24.29.109.198...
    > I've inherited a Compaq Presario 700 (N119, Series CM2130). Problem is
    > that
    > when I push the On button, nothing happens. No lights, no sounds, nothing.
    > The problem appears to be almost certainly electrical (i.e. no power). I
    > tried swapping the AC adapter from another Compaq Presario, older model,
    > with no success. I tried inserting a charged battery from said older
    > model,
    > but it didn't fit.
    >
    > I've done a little internal hardware work on desktops, but can't even get
    > this thing open. Evidently it requires a special tool set.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    It has new role as a door stop.

    Duane :)

    K-Man hater Duane, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks Duane. That's very helpful.

    Seriously, as an alternative (if the Compaq can not be resurrected, which I
    would prefer), I'd like to transfer the data from the hard drive to any
    other medium. Any suggestions on how to go about doing that? That was the
    request, if possible, made by the person who gave me the computer.

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns9786DDCB56020Myemailaddressnet@24.29.109.198,
    Tom spewed forth:
    > Thanks Duane. That's very helpful.
    >
    > Seriously, as an alternative (if the Compaq can not be resurrected,
    > which I would prefer), I'd like to transfer the data from the hard
    > drive to any other medium. Any suggestions on how to go about doing
    > that? That was the request, if possible, made by the person who gave
    > me the computer.
    >
    > Tom

    That part is easy. It just takes parts. Two suggestions: an adapter that
    connects the hard drive in the laptop to a standard IDE cable in a desktop
    PC. Cheap fix. Suck the data right off <g>! By far my preferred method
    though is a small USB adapter that you put the laptop drive in, and hook it
    up to another computer's USB port. See, that way, you have a nice portable
    data storage device.

    I have this one:
    <http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-USB-2-0-2-5-laptop-IDE-hard-drive-enclosure-box_W0QQitemZ8779065613QQcategoryZ41911QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I've seen them in stores but never looked closely. Also, as I mentioned,
    I've never worked inside the casing of a laptop. I assume that the hd is
    significantly smaller than a desktop's.

    Will the casing accept the smaller size? Also, do you know if a Compaq (or
    a laptop generally) requires any special tools to open and work on it?

    Thanks.

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Tom

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:Xns9786DDCB56020Myemailaddressnet@24.29.109.198,
    > Tom spewed forth:
    >
    >>Thanks Duane. That's very helpful.
    >>
    >>Seriously, as an alternative (if the Compaq can not be resurrected,
    >>which I would prefer), I'd like to transfer the data from the hard
    >>drive to any other medium. Any suggestions on how to go about doing
    >>that? That was the request, if possible, made by the person who gave
    >>me the computer.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    > That part is easy. It just takes parts. Two suggestions: an adapter that
    > connects the hard drive in the laptop to a standard IDE cable in a desktop
    > PC. Cheap fix. Suck the data right off <g>! By far my preferred method
    > though is a small USB adapter that you put the laptop drive in, and hook it
    > up to another computer's USB port. See, that way, you have a nice portable
    > data storage device.
    >
    > I have this one:
    > <http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-USB-2-0-2-5-laptop-IDE-hard-drive-enclosure-box_W0QQitemZ8779065613QQcategoryZ41911QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

    The Compaq Presario 1800 I have will not start without the battery when
    on the AC. The battery is basically dead as it won't hold a charge, but
    the laptop will not start without the battery in place. If I take the
    battery out and not use it just running on the AC, it will drop power.
    It has been in that mode for over a two years.

    I am using it right now. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 15, 2006
  7. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns9786DFB34110Myemailaddressnet@24.29.109.198,
    Tom spewed forth:
    > I've seen them in stores but never looked closely. Also, as I
    > mentioned, I've never worked inside the casing of a laptop. I assume
    > that the hd is significantly smaller than a desktop's.
    >
    > Will the casing accept the smaller size? Also, do you know if a
    > Compaq (or a laptop generally) requires any special tools to open and
    > work on it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tom

    That link is for a case that fits only a laptop hard drive - 2.5". A desktop
    has a 3.5" drive, and there are similar cases for those.

    I've seldom had any problem getting laptops apart, basically with a small to
    medium Phillips screwdriver, and a fine blade driver is sometimes needed to
    pry apart interlocking plastic cases. I've seen drives in weird places
    though - under the keyboard was the worst one. Many have cover plates on the
    side or bottom of the laptop that give access to the drive without serious
    disassembly since drives often fail or get upgrades.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 00:51:44 +0000, Tom wrote:

    > I've inherited a Compaq Presario 700 (N119, Series CM2130). Problem is that
    > when I push the On button, nothing happens. No lights, no sounds, nothing.
    > The problem appears to be almost certainly electrical (i.e. no power). I
    > tried swapping the AC adapter from another Compaq Presario, older model,
    > with no success. I tried inserting a charged battery from said older model,
    > but it didn't fit.
    >
    > I've done a little internal hardware work on desktops, but can't even get
    > this thing open. Evidently it requires a special tool set.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tom

    Nothing inside you can service. Try getting the right power supply and
    battery. If you are not able to sub these things you have no business
    working on it.

    Meat Plow, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Tom

    Hairyhandedfool

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    My Presario 713EA has a power problem too, although I am fairly certain it is the connection between the Jack and the motherboard (can this be fixed easily?).

    If your Laptop is the same design as mine, you need a star shaped screwdriver/allen key (6 pointed star), I got a set from a pound shop. You will probably need to remove the screws from the underside (there are two in the battery compartment). Turn the laptop back over. Above the keyboard is a panel that can be removed with a little force, the keyboard should lift out to reveal more screws. From there it is plain sailing.

    If your laptop is of a different design this will be of no help!

    Hairyhandedfool, Jul 30, 2009