Compaq Presario 5000

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by xu_ly@hotmail.com, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Guest

    you need change your "automatic.bat" and "config. sys " file with edit
    command in dos environment.

    "Croos Bustamunky" <> дÈëÓʼþ
    news:1N4dc.74256$-kc.rr.com...
    > My Presario recently ate its 30 gb hard drive. I replaced it with a 40 gb
    > drive, fdisked it and formated. The problem I'm having is the computer

    boots
    > off the Recovery CD, installs the RamDisk and utility programs, but then
    > just goes to the A: prompt. I'm unable to get the Recovery CD to reinstall
    > the hard disk image to restore the computer to original condition. I don't
    > have a restore diskette to use. Does anyone have a work around to get this
    > CD to install without the restore diskette?

    , Apr 8, 2004

    Croos Bustamunky, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Boomer Guest

    "Croos Bustamunky" <> wrote in

    > My Presario recently ate its 30 gb hard drive. I replaced it with
    > a 40 gb drive, fdisked it and formated. The problem I'm having is
    > the computer boots off the Recovery CD, installs the RamDisk and
    > utility programs, but then just goes to the A: prompt. I'm unable
    > to get the Recovery CD to reinstall the hard disk image to restore
    > the computer to original condition. I don't have a restore
    > diskette to use. Does anyone have a work around to get this CD to
    > install without the restore diskette?

    Hi

    Have you contacted Compaq? I have found their e-mail support
    excellent.

    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_tool=email&h_cc=us&h_lang=en
    Boomer, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Boomer Guest

    "Croos Bustamunky" <> wrote in

    > My Presario recently ate its 30 gb hard drive. I replaced it with
    > a 40 gb drive, fdisked it and formated. The problem I'm having is
    > the computer boots off the Recovery CD, installs the RamDisk and
    > utility programs, but then just goes to the A: prompt. I'm unable
    > to get the Recovery CD to reinstall the hard disk image to restore
    > the computer to original condition. I don't have a restore
    > diskette to use. Does anyone have a work around to get this CD to
    > install without the restore diskette?

    You might ask here also

    alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
    Boomer, Apr 8, 2004
  5. I tried that, and in fact, also tried the voice Customer Service. I never
    got an answer from the email. The voice support was obviously from India or
    Pakistan, I could barely understand the tech, and after giving him a bunch
    of personal info, email, address, etc., he asked for the serial number of
    the computer. Since I was at work I didn't have it and he said, "Sorry we
    cannot proceed with this issue without the number." That was the point at
    which I got "overly frustrated."

    I tried contacting the Rat Shack where it was purchased, but the only people
    who know anything about computers (i.e., "John or Randy") seem to be always
    on vacation. Meanwhile my computer at home sits there with a new hard drive
    and no way to get its operating system reinstalled.

    Crooze BusterMunky, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Palindrome Guest

    Croos Bustamunky wrote:

    > My Presario recently ate its 30 gb hard drive. I replaced it with a 40 gb
    > drive, fdisked it and formated. The problem I'm having is the computer boots
    > off the Recovery CD, installs the RamDisk and utility programs, but then
    > just goes to the A: prompt. I'm unable to get the Recovery CD to reinstall
    > the hard disk image to restore the computer to original condition. I don't
    > have a restore diskette to use. Does anyone have a work around to get this
    > CD to install without the restore diskette?

    Have you explorer the CD to see what is there? I am not familiar with
    Comaaq's recovery CDs but there may be a folder on there containing a
    backup set - in which case it may be possible to restore it manually.
    Palindrome, Apr 8, 2004