    logon screen. . . any ideas of how to reset this or is there a 'magic'
    password or workaround?. . . Thanks y'all!

    , Jul 26, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Everyone,
    >
    > I have an old Compaq 1200 laptop that has literally been sitting on a
    > shelf for a 2 years. It currently has Windows 2000 Pro. I pulled the
    > laptop off the shelf and want to use it in my classroom but the
    > password reset to "Compaq Customer" and it will not let me log on since
    > that was not what was on it before - I have NO IDEA what the password
    > could be. . . I want to update this and use it but cannot get past the
    > logon screen. . . any ideas of how to reset this or is there a 'magic'
    > password or workaround?. . . Thanks y'all!

    Either try with an empty password, or user Administrator (and empty pass),
    or download/burn Hirens boot-and-root cd (if you can convince the lap to
    start from cd).

    Walter Mautner, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    |>Everyone,
    |>
    |>I have an old Compaq 1200 laptop that has literally been sitting on a
    |>shelf for a 2 years. It currently has Windows 2000 Pro. I pulled the
    |>laptop off the shelf and want to use it in my classroom but the
    |>password reset to "Compaq Customer" and it will not let me log on since
    |>that was not what was on it before - I have NO IDEA what the password
    |>could be. . . I want to update this and use it but cannot get past the
    |>logon screen. . . any ideas of how to reset this or is there a 'magic'
    |>password or workaround?. . . Thanks y'all!

    Google: bios passwords
    http://www.5starsupport.com/info/biospw.htm

    says to try compaq :)

    --
    "The blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrmV-r1YsQ&search=whale dynamite

    , Jul 26, 2006
  4. Guest

    Tried the 'empty' and the admin route. . . both did not work. . . do
    you know where I can donwload that boot and root CD?

    Thanks!
    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Everyone,
    > >
    > > I have an old Compaq 1200 laptop that has literally been sitting on a
    > > shelf for a 2 years. It currently has Windows 2000 Pro. I pulled the
    > > laptop off the shelf and want to use it in my classroom but the
    > > password reset to "Compaq Customer" and it will not let me log on since
    > > that was not what was on it before - I have NO IDEA what the password
    > > could be. . . I want to update this and use it but cannot get past the
    > > logon screen. . . any ideas of how to reset this or is there a 'magic'
    > > password or workaround?. . . Thanks y'all!

    > Either try with an empty password, or user Administrator (and empty pass),
    > or download/burn Hirens boot-and-root cd (if you can convince the lap to
    > start from cd).
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.16-mm1,Xorg7.0 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    , Jul 26, 2006
  5. Guest

    tried "compaq". . .and "Compaq". . . no luck. . . thanks!
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>Everyone,
    > |>
    > |>I have an old Compaq 1200 laptop that has literally been sitting on a
    > |>shelf for a 2 years. It currently has Windows 2000 Pro. I pulled the
    > |>laptop off the shelf and want to use it in my classroom but the
    > |>password reset to "Compaq Customer" and it will not let me log on since
    > |>that was not what was on it before - I have NO IDEA what the password
    > |>could be. . . I want to update this and use it but cannot get past the
    > |>logon screen. . . any ideas of how to reset this or is there a 'magic'
    > |>password or workaround?. . . Thanks y'all!
    >
    > Google: bios passwords
    > http://www.5starsupport.com/info/biospw.htm
    >
    > says to try compaq :)
    >
    > --
    > "The blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds"
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrmV-r1YsQ&search=whale dynamite

    , Jul 26, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > tried "compaq". . .and "Compaq". . . no luck. . . thanks!

    Just use this:

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    download the iso, burn it to cd, boot the laptop from cd and follow the
    instructions. It works in most cases.

    Oh, and it's free. Hiren's bootcd is a compilation of commercial
    software, which isn't legal :)

    --
    Dustin
    Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool

    , Jul 26, 2006
  7. Ok, this depends if you want to save everything that was on the laptop in
    the past or not. I am assuming not since it has been sitting around for two
    years.

    Find the original disks (or win2k disk) for the laptop and do a complete
    system restore. (wipe the hard drive clean and install a fresh copy of
    windows)

    You will need the drivers for the laptop. They are usually on a series of
    disks that came with it. If you don't have them you can usually download
    them from Hewlett Packard (now owns Compaq). You will also need the
    original product key. Tip: If you can't find your win2k or system recovery
    disks. You can borrow someone else's win2k disk (as long as you have your
    own product key).

    You not only will have solved the password problem, but you will have a
    clean win2k installation to boot. (get it?) :))

    After all that, you are still not done. You need to use the "Windows
    Update" feature to retrieve all the updates. This could take awhile
    (especially on dial up), so, grab your favorite beverage of choice; some
    papers to grade; and get to it. :)

    Finally, install all the software you will need for your class; Get rid of
    junk (the freebie software), that you don't need; check for updates to
    drivers from HP; and check for updates to the software you just installed
    from their respective companies.

    Happy computing! :)

    Randall Smith, Jul 26, 2006
  8. wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> tried "compaq". . .and "Compaq". . . no luck. . . thanks!

    > Just use this:
    >
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >
    > download the iso, burn it to cd, boot the laptop from cd and follow the
    > instructions. It works in most cases.
    >
    > Oh, and it's free. Hiren's bootcd is a compilation of commercial
    > software, which isn't legal :)

    Good idea, he actually needs only the Offline NT/2K/XP Password Changer but
    then there are good data recovery tools (and tools to unlock some bios pws)
    as well. The perfectly legal alternative would be a linux liveCD which he
    can use to get all data off to a networked computer.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 26, 2006
  9. Plato Guest

    May be a password embedded in the bios chip and not an OS issue.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 27, 2006
  10. Guest

    Thanks Everyone!

    Plato wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >

    > May be a password embedded in the bios chip and not an OS issue.
    >
    > > I have an old Compaq 1200 laptop that has literally been sitting on a
    > > shelf for a 2 years. It currently has Windows 2000 Pro. I pulled the
    > > laptop off the shelf and want to use it in my classroom but the
    > > password reset to "Compaq Customer" and it will not let me log on since
    > > that was not what was on it before - I have NO IDEA what the password
    > > could be. . . I want to update this and use it but cannot get past the
    > > logon screen. . . any ideas of how to reset this or is there a 'magic'
    > > password or workaround?. . . Thanks y'all!

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    , Jul 27, 2006