    40 GB HDD and in each computer the BIOS recognized the hard drive but
    Windows 2000 wouldn't load. However when I put the hard drive in my generic
    PC, W2K has no problem booting up. Any advice/help much appreciated.

    Thomas, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Thomas

    Plato Guest

    Thomas wrote:

    > Does anyone know if Compaq (more specifically either a 1995 Deskpro or a
    > Presario 5150) is compatibile with NTFS HDD. I recently tried to install a
    > 40 GB HDD and in each computer the BIOS recognized the hard drive but
    > Windows 2000 wouldn't load. However when I put the hard drive in my generic
    > PC, W2K has no problem booting up. Any advice/help much appreciated.

    Ask Compaq if w2k will work on those pcs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 4, 2006

  3. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thomas <> wrote

    > Does anyone know if Compaq (more specifically either a 1995 Deskpro or a
    > Presario 5150) is compatibile with NTFS HDD.

    Corse it is.

    > I recently tried to install a 40 GB HDD and in each computer the BIOS
    > recognized the hard drive but Windows 2000 wouldn't load. However when I
    > put the hard drive in my generic PC, W2K has no problem booting up. Any
    > advice/help much appreciated.

    You cant just plug a drive that has 2K installed on it
    into a PC and expect it to boot. The 2K install has
    drivers specific to the system it was installed on.

    Install it from the distribution CD on the system you want to use it on.

    Rod Speed, Apr 4, 2006
  4. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    So, if that is true, why did it work with the other "generic" PC? I think I
    forgot to mention that I found these HDD at a thrift store and they already
    had W2K on them.

    Thomas, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thomas <> wrote

    > So, if that is true, why did it work with the other "generic" PC?

    It'll work if the chipset used in the system its tried in isnt
    too different to the one the 2K was originally installed in.

    > I think I forgot to mention that I found these HDD at a thrift store and
    > they already had W2K on them.

    OK, thats the problem, that particular PC it doesnt boot
    in is too different chipset wise to the one it was installed in.

    Since you dont have a legal copy of 2K due to the way you
    got 2K you might as well just download a pirate copy of 2K
    using emule etc and install it from that.

    Rod Speed, Apr 5, 2006