    be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?

    Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.

    Ta muchly.
    Trent SC, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Trent SC

    Unk Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/4yc8t
    Unk, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    >I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of
    >string"
    > questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
    >
    > A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8 processor,
    > 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what type
    > of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to run
    > Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the
    > type
    > of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb
    > stick.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most likely
    > be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
    >
    > Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
    >
    > Ta muchly.

    I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them tell
    you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have to buy
    it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that computer.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    > >I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of
    > >string"
    > > questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
    > >
    > > A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8

    processor,
    > > 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what

    type
    > > of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to

    run
    > > Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the
    > > type
    > > of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb
    > > stick.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most

    likely
    > > be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
    > >
    > > Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
    > >
    > > Ta muchly.
    > >

    > I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them

    tell
    > you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have to

    buy
    > it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that computer.

    Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree - Crucial would normally be a good
    starting point, but at this time I don't have any information on the model
    number of the desktop or the type of RAM installed - only the info above.
    Hence the query.
    Trent SC, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    |> >I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of
    | > >string"
    | > > questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
    | > >
    | > > A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8
    | processor,
    | > > 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what
    | type
    | > > of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to
    | run
    | > > Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the
    | > > type
    | > > of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb
    | > > stick.
    | > >
    | > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most
    | likely
    | > > be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
    | > >
    | > > Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
    | > >
    | > > Ta muchly.
    | > >
    | > I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them
    | tell
    | > you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have to
    | buy
    | > it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that computer.
    |
    | Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree - Crucial would normally be a good
    | starting point, but at this time I don't have any information on the model
    | number of the desktop or the type of RAM installed - only the info above.
    | Hence the query.

    Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it uses PC2100, non-ECC, unbuffered. But be
    sure that whoever you buy it from has a liberal return policy <g>
    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Trent SC

    Chris Hunt Guest

    If your able to comunicate with him tell him to read what it says on it with
    my ancient computer it has a label when you flip up the monitor ,underneath
    it says PresarrioXXXX.
    look for that. Also even my old computer had a sticker on the ram that said
    what it had was.

    hope this helps

    Chris Hunt, Nov 25, 2004
  7. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    Thanks, but I won't have access to friend or desktop until I go there at the
    weekend, which is when I'm rather hoping to fit the RAM.

    Trent SC, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Chris Hunt wrote:

    > If your able to comunicate with him tell him to read what it says on it with
    > my ancient computer it has a label when you flip up the monitor ,underneath
    > it says PresarrioXXXX.

    See "Compaq desktop" in original post.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    <<Snippes>>
    | --
    | Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    | Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
    | SOME commands: get, open, drop, directions e/n/s/w, climb, up,
    | down, look, read, inventory, hit/kill [object] with [object]...

    Geez, Blinky - I haven't heard terms like that list of Zork commands in so
    long I almost tripped headlong into a pile of nostalgia <g>
    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    ><<Snippes>> | -- | Blinky Linux Registered
    >User 297263 | Play Zork:
    >http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html | SOME commands: get,
    >open, drop, directions e/n/s/w, climb, up, | down, look, read,
    >inventory, hit/kill [object] with [object]...

    > Geez, Blinky - I haven't heard terms like that list of Zork commands
    > in so long I almost tripped headlong into a pile of nostalgia <g>

    Hit that URL, and lose yourself (metaphorically <g>) for a few minutes.
    Does the soul good. :) (Applet is only a 30-second download even on my
    dialup.)

    When I was looking for a Zork game, I hit one that, when you found a
    leaflet very early in the game, you couldn't manipulate it: wouldn't
    open, wouldn't even respond to a look. I thought *I'd* lost touch until
    I moved on to one that wasn't brain-dead, and I could look at it. <g>)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2004