    is garbage.

    thanks

    Rimu

    Rimu Atkinson, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Rimu Atkinson

    TomV Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:24:50 +1200, "Rimu Atkinson"
    <> wrote:

    >hi all
    >
    >i just bought a second-hand compaq laptop. it's an armada m300. kinda
    >old-ish, P3 - 600 with 128 megs of ram.
    >
    >it desperately needs more RAM in it, but i'm not sure whether i have to buy
    >special compaq ram or whether generic laptop ram will do???
    >
    >compaq customer support is impossible to get through to, and their web site
    >is garbage.

    I have an old Presario laptop I added RAM to a year or so ago. Had
    the same problemns with Compaq support you did, to the extent I'll
    never buy a compaq product again, but I bought generic RAM from the
    Laptop company and it was inexpensive and worked just fine.

    I wouldn't recommend buying any Compaq branded accessories, you seem
    to pay about a 105 % markup for the brand.

    ....tom

    TomV, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Rimu Atkinson

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:24:50 +1200, Rimu Atkinson wrote:

    > hi all
    >
    > i just bought a second-hand compaq laptop. it's an armada m300. kinda
    > old-ish, P3 - 600 with 128 megs of ram.
    >
    > it desperately needs more RAM in it, but i'm not sure whether i have to
    > buy special compaq ram or whether generic laptop ram will do???
    >
    > compaq customer support is impossible to get through to, and their web
    > site is garbage.

    You could try the kingston website to find out the ram specs for that
    model, then just get some matching generic ram somewhere else.

    I could be wrong but to me laptops seem more consistent with ram specs
    than desktop machines.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 13, 2004
  4. Rimu Atkinson

    Edmond Lo Guest

    You should be able to use generic RAM, but I would suggest you bring the
    laptop to the shop where you are buying the RAM and have the RAM installed
    on the spot so you can test it (by booting up Windows and opening up Word)
    before parting your money. Most shops will do that. The problems with
    notebook memory is that they have different number of chips and some laptops
    are very picky on that.

    Edmond Lo, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Rimu Atkinson

    Charlie G Guest

    "Edmond Lo" <> wrote in message
    > You should be able to use generic RAM, but I would suggest you bring the
    > laptop to the shop where you are buying the RAM and have the RAM installed
    > on the spot so you can test it (by booting up Windows and opening up Word)
    > before parting your money. Most shops will do that. The problems with
    > notebook memory is that they have different number of chips and some

    laptops
    > are very picky on that.
    >
    > "Rimu Atkinson" <> wrote in message
    >> i'm not sure whether i have to buy
    > > special compaq ram or whether generic laptop ram will do???

    Not a bad idea to take your laptop in. I bought additional ram for an old
    gateway laptop & found the different profile of the new ram was too big for
    the physical space allowed for two out of the three avaialble slots..

    Charlie G, Jul 15, 2004