    make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
    should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone know
    what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem?

    mcp6453, Dec 5, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have just done a recovery CD installation for a Compaq EVO N1000v
    > notebook computer. After installing XP and doing all the updates,
    > including SP2, everything seemed to be working, except that I had a
    > couple of missing drivers in Device Manager. I then discovered that
    > there was a second CD for drivers, so I installed the drivers. All of
    > the yellow exclamation points disappeared, except that I now have yellow
    > exclamation points for COM5 to COM15.
    >
    > I went to the web site, downloaded, and installed all new drivers to
    > make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
    > should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone know
    > what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem?

    try removing the troublesome com device entries from the list, and see if
    they are detected and installed properly after a reboot.

    Thor, Dec 5, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > >I have just done a recovery CD installation for a Compaq EVO N1000v
    > > notebook computer. After installing XP and doing all the updates,
    > > including SP2, everything seemed to be working, except that I had a
    > > couple of missing drivers in Device Manager. I then discovered that
    > > there was a second CD for drivers, so I installed the drivers. All of
    > > the yellow exclamation points disappeared, except that I now have yellow
    > > exclamation points for COM5 to COM15.
    > >
    > > I went to the web site, downloaded, and installed all new drivers to
    > > make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
    > > should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone know
    > > what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem?

    > try removing the troublesome com device entries from the list, and see if
    > they are detected and installed properly after a reboot.

    Did that, and they didn't return. Thanks! I sure wish you'd send me a
    private email so I could send you a six pack.

    Have you run into that problem before? I'll bet you have. I'll have to
    add that to my bag of tricks.

    mcp6453, Dec 5, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have just done a recovery CD installation for a Compaq EVO N1000v
    >> > notebook computer. After installing XP and doing all the updates,
    >> > including SP2, everything seemed to be working, except that I had a
    >> > couple of missing drivers in Device Manager. I then discovered that
    >> > there was a second CD for drivers, so I installed the drivers. All of
    >> > the yellow exclamation points disappeared, except that I now have
    >> > yellow
    >> > exclamation points for COM5 to COM15.
    >> >
    >> > I went to the web site, downloaded, and installed all new drivers to
    >> > make sure I have the latest. The COM drivers are still not loaded. They
    >> > should have loaded in the Intel chipset driver package. Does anyone
    >> > know
    >> > what I should be looking for to get rid of the problem?

    >> try removing the troublesome com device entries from the list, and see if
    >> they are detected and installed properly after a reboot.

    > Did that, and they didn't return. Thanks! I sure wish you'd send me a
    > private email so I could send you a six pack.
    >
    > Have you run into that problem before? I'll bet you have. I'll have to
    > add that to my bag of tricks.

    most of the time when you have devices that are being improperly detected
    after a fresh install, and you know the proper drivers are installed,
    removing the entries and allowing a re-detection to occur are often helpful.
    This is especially so in the case of USB, COM, and Parallel port entries.

    Thor, Dec 5, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Kenny Guest

    There are only 4 COM ports on a PC so where the 5 to 15 came from I would
    like to know.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Dec 5, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > There are only 4 COM ports on a PC so where the 5 to 15 came from I would
    > like to know.

    there can more than that. Most motherboards support 4 COM ports from the
    on-board UART controllers, but add in modems with software controllers, and
    depending on how their drivers are set up, you can get COM 5 and higher
    showing in the device manager. Sometimes the assignment isn't necessarily
    sequentially in line with the highest physical COM port either, so you might
    have COM 1, COM 2, and then COM 6 etc.

    Thor, Dec 6, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > There are only 4 COM ports on a PC so where the 5 to 15 came from I would
    > like to know.

    Virtural com ports. Started with winmodems.

    Plato, Dec 6, 2004