    Regards
    Peter J

    see www.safe-nz.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Peter Jenkins

    EMB Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:

    Intel I810/815. I've got the drivers if you want them - email me and
    I'll send them.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Peter Jenkins

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > I have a friend of mine with one of these that requires video drivers
    > I have tried several different varieties of driver with no success so
    > far. I can download the drivers easy enough - the problem is to find
    > out WHAT drivers as there are so many variations on this machine
    > with different video hardware etc
    >
    > If any of you out there has one of these machines (that includes
    > those of you in nz.general hence the x-post) I would be most
    > appreciative if you could have a look in Control Panel/Display
    > and tell me what your video adapter is. The beast in question is
    > a slimline desktop, not a tower by the way

    As someone else has posted, it is probably an Intel 810/815 chipset
    *but* there are at least 2 different models of this system.

    If it has a slimline CD bezel with curved top and bottom edges, it has
    an ATI Rage Pro AGP video adapter.

    If it has a rectangular CD bezel, it is the Intel 810/815 chipset.
    That's the model witht he really ugly case :)

    If it has a normal full size 5.25 bay, it is Intel.

    All drivers are available from the HP website, but they are a little
    difficult to navigate to sometimes.

    BTW these little devices are the best thing since sliced bread
    (especially the later P667 systems). They are small, fast and quiet. And
    very cheap.

    The earlier P600 systems will run up to a 137GB HDD if you upgrade the bios.

    I've bought several of these in different configurations, ask if you
    need any more help.

    HTH
    -=rjh=-, Nov 23, 2004
  4. "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > Intel I810/815. I've got the drivers if you want them - email me and
    > I'll send them.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Thank you for the offer, I have already downloaded them now.
    Much appreciated, my friend will be thanking you when he can run
    his PC at 1024x768 with lotsa colours not 640x480 and only 16 colours
    Regards
    Peter J
    Peter Jenkins, Nov 23, 2004
  5. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message news:41a38891$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    snip

    > As someone else has posted, it is probably an Intel 810/815 chipset
    > *but* there are at least 2 different models of this system.
    >
    > If it has a slimline CD bezel with curved top and bottom edges, it has
    > an ATI Rage Pro AGP video adapter.

    Tried drivers for that no go

    > If it has a rectangular CD bezel, it is the Intel 810/815 chipset.
    > That's the model witht he really ugly case :)

    I think this is it, although it's no uglier than average :)

    > If it has a normal full size 5.25 bay, it is Intel.
    >
    > All drivers are available from the HP website, but they are a little
    > difficult to navigate to sometimes.
    >
    > BTW these little devices are the best thing since sliced bread
    > (especially the later P667 systems). They are small, fast and quiet. And
    > very cheap.
    >
    > The earlier P600 systems will run up to a 137GB HDD if you upgrade the

    bios.

    > I've bought several of these in different configurations, ask if you
    > need any more help.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks for that, I've downloaded two versions of the Intel drivers (now have
    Jetstream at home) one of them should do the job. Once I have figured out
    what all the drivers are for this thing I'll burn them all to a CD for the
    guy so
    next time he has problems (although now I've got him using Firefox not MS
    ActiveX riddled and insecure IE I hope there won't be any more)
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Peter Jenkins

    Tarla Guest

    Can I ask a question of you clever people? I'm going to get a new
    computer very soon. I need one that can handle graphics pretty well
    since I play computer games like Sims2 etc. That means it also has to
    have a fairly decent amount of RAM. Not too concerned with the sound
    cards, but want to be able to upgrade the hard drive if I need to. I
    don't have a problem with buying the individual componants, but I need
    a direction. Any ideas or should I just trust the computer store guy?
    --
    Tarla
    ****

    Make me one with everything.
    Tarla, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Peter Jenkins

    bambam Guest

    "Peter Jenkins" <> wrote in

    > Thanks for that, I've downloaded two versions of the Intel drivers
    > (now have Jetstream at home) one of them should do the job. Once I
    > have figured out what all the drivers are for this thing I'll burn
    > them all to a CD for the guy so
    > next time he has problems (although now I've got him using Firefox
    > not MS ActiveX riddled and insecure IE I hope there won't be any
    > more)

    Slightly off topic, but you might like to try this program to help
    backup your drivers after you get the system right-

    http://pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#0845-PW

    Works a treat.

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Valentine's Day would be moved to 29th February so it would only
    bambam, Nov 24, 2004
  8. Peter Jenkins

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:13:45 +1300, Tarla <>
    wrote:

    >Can I ask a question of you clever people? I'm going to get a new
    >computer very soon. I need one that can handle graphics pretty well
    >since I play computer games like Sims2 etc. That means it also has to
    >have a fairly decent amount of RAM. Not too concerned with the sound
    >cards, but want to be able to upgrade the hard drive if I need to. I
    >don't have a problem with buying the individual componants, but I need
    >a direction. Any ideas or should I just trust the computer store guy?

    Probably best you have at least some sort of idea what you want before
    you go into a store. AMD vs Pentium, hard drive size etc.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    DoggNZ, Nov 24, 2004
  9. In article <JuDod.9259$> in nz.comp on Tue, 23
    Nov 2004 22:32:52 +1300, Peter Jenkins <>
    says...
    > I have a friend of mine with one of these that requires video drivers
    > I have tried several different varieties of driver with no success so
    > far. I can download the drivers easy enough - the problem is to find
    > out WHAT drivers as there are so many variations on this machine
    > with different video hardware etc
    >
    > If any of you out there has one of these machines (that includes
    > those of you in nz.general hence the x-post) I would be most
    > appreciative if you could have a look in Control Panel/Display
    > and tell me what your video adapter is. The beast in question is
    > a slimline desktop, not a tower by the way

    Look on the motherboard for the video chip.
    You should know the names of the major video hardware manufacturers.

    It could also be SIS, VIA or Intel, as they make all in one chipsets that
    include video.

    Compaq/HP support really sucks on this - IBM is so much better.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  10. In article <cnv0ib$1is$> in nz.comp on Tue, 23 Nov 2004
    22:40:27 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > Peter Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > Intel I810/815. I've got the drivers if you want them - email me and
    > I'll send them.

    Good gracious me, did the Intel 810 chipset really last that long?

    I thought that heap of crap was what they put in the very early Pentium
    II chips, It seems strange that it was still being used for the Pentium
    III which came later.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>Intel I810/815. I've got the drivers if you want them - email me and
    >>I'll send them.

    > Good gracious me, did the Intel 810 chipset really last that long?

    > I thought that heap of crap was what they put in the very early Pentium
    > II chips, It seems strange that it was still being used for the Pentium
    > III which came later.

    the I810 came after 440BX so I think you have it confused with the
    I740(seperate video card) that in it's day, wasn't too bad.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 24, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov 2004
    17:01:03 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >>Intel I810/815. I've got the drivers if you want them - email me and
    > >>I'll send them.

    > > Good gracious me, did the Intel 810 chipset really last that long?

    > > I thought that heap of crap was what they put in the very early Pentium
    > > II chips, It seems strange that it was still being used for the Pentium
    > > III which came later.

    > the I810 came after 440BX so I think you have it confused with the
    > I740(seperate video card) that in it's day, wasn't too bad.

    maybe...I just have memories of a horrible Celeron 300 that had I thought
    an 815 chipset.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  13. Peter Jenkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov
    > 2004 17:01:03 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...

    >>> Good gracious me, did the Intel 810 chipset really last that long?

    >>> I thought that heap of crap was what they put in the very early
    >>> Pentium II chips, It seems strange that it was still being used for
    >>> the Pentium III which came later.

    >> the I810 came after 440BX so I think you have it confused with the
    >> I740(seperate video card) that in it's day, wasn't too bad.

    > maybe...I just have memories of a horrible Celeron 300 that had I
    > thought an 815 chipset.

    I seriously doubt it, unless someone put a CPU that was three years older
    into the mobo. In fact, I don't even think the Celeron was made in 300Mhz,
    Socket 370 package was it? I was under the impression that 333Mhz was the
    slowest, the 300 (and 300a) was slot 1.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 24, 2004
  14. "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > Intel I810/815. I've got the drivers if you want them - email me and
    > I'll send them.

    Loaded the drivers last night - worked a dream
    Thanks
    Peter Jenkins, Nov 24, 2004
  15. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>the I810 came after 440BX so I think you have it confused with the
    >>>I740(seperate video card) that in it's day, wasn't too bad.

    >>maybe...I just have memories of a horrible Celeron 300 that had I
    >>thought an 815 chipset.

    > I seriously doubt it, unless someone put a CPU that was three years older
    > into the mobo. In fact, I don't even think the Celeron was made in 300Mhz,
    > Socket 370 package was it? I was under the impression that 333Mhz was the
    > slowest, the 300 (and 300a) was slot 1.

    indeed you are correct. I knew that there was a physical reason for it
    not working like that... I was thinking FSB limitation, but wasn't sure.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 24, 2004