    video. There are no error beep codes either.
    Any suggestions?

    Nick

    Data888, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Data888

    mchermans Guest

    mchermans, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Data888

    °Mike° Guest

    First things first. Check the monitor cables. Remove them
    and refit them, making sure the fit is snug. If possible, try
    new cables. Check the video card, also.

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:45:04 +1100, in
    <>
    Data888 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Data888

    Data888 Guest

    Tried two different monitors. The video is onboard. I don't have any PCI
    video cards.

    Data888, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Data888

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure the on-board video is not disabled in the BIOS.
    Also, *do* try different monitor cables if you can.

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:59:13 +1100, in
    <>
    Data888 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Data888

    Data888 Guest

    The cables are attached to the monitors. And how can I check the BIOS if
    I can't see anything?

    Data888, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Data888

    °Mike° Guest

    D'oh! Sorry.

    Remove all, repeat all, of the hardware - basically, take it
    apart - and make *absolutely* sure that everything, including
    the RAM is seated properly, and snuggly. As I have said, use
    new cables wherever you can. If you still have problems, it
    may be a motherboard problem, assuming the two monitors
    you tried are both ok.

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:02:32 +1100, in
    <>
    Data888 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2003
  8. Data888

    Data888 Guest

    Damn. I found a CMOS clear jumper, and tried that, but no good. If I
    pull the RAM out and try to boot I get a beep code, which I guess means
    "NO RAM". I might try replacing the RAM with some from my other computer.

    Data888, Dec 7, 2003
  9. Data888

    Data888 Guest

    It was bad RAM. I replaced it and the system now works fine. Thanks for
    your help Mike.

    Data888, Dec 7, 2003
  10. Data888

    IC Guest

    Data888 wrote:
    > I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro computer. I'm not sure of the
    > model, but it's a PII 350.
    > I installed a hard drive and RAM, but when I try to boot it there is
    > no video. There are no error beep codes either.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Nick

    Are you sure the RAM you installed is the correct type for that system?
    Is the RAM installed properly...pull it out of the motherboard and
    re-insert it, making sure it's seated properly.
    How much RAM did you add; what is the total amount of RAM?

    IC, Dec 7, 2003
  11. Data888

    phil Guest

    A few things to try: unplug hard drive, cdrom, modem, soundcard, ect
    (Basicly like the previous letter but leave the floppy drive connected.(also
    leave connected the power). IT can sometimes be a corupted bios: a bad video
    card or just a conflict of hardware. (happened to me before)
    Basicly you take it all apart to determine what is wrong then if it works
    replace part by part until it does not work then you find out what is broke.
    Does the fan come on, does it want to power up??
    Try a different pci video card?
    If you have an ISA slot you may be able to bring the video up.An ISA video
    card(With only floppy drive atached)
    inside some bios chips there is a section that does not get writen to.This
    contains just enough to get a isa video card working + a floppy drive and
    allows you to re-flash the bios. (only do as a last resort)
    Hope this helps.

    phil, Dec 7, 2003
  12. Data888

    °Mike° Guest